Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 03:59 PM

3 posts, read 4,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
What you have is workable worded correctly, but first, what type of jobs are you applying for?
This is true.

You should also remember that it's not just your resume that is going to score you an interview. Your cover letter is just as, if not more, important.

In your cover letter, you can focus on what you are going to do for the company you are applying for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 04:37 PM

154 posts, read 624,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
They cannot say they "terminated" and cannot say why.
They may as well be able to say that...All they have to ask is about eligibility for rehire...if the answer is no isn't that just as bad?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,446 times
i kno i have the potential to be a productive employee especially in a feild that i am compassionate for . but my work history looks bad because i was recently fired frommy most previous job for getting into a verbal confrontation .even tho i trust myself to be responsible , i kno this still may discourage most employers from trusting me into their business . wat could a do when applying for job to should the employer that im am worth giving another shot .

Old 08-03-2012, 12:17 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandraanderson View Post
i kno i have the potential to be a productive employee especially in a feild that i am compassionate for . but my work history looks bad because i was recently fired frommy most previous job for getting into a verbal confrontation .even tho i trust myself to be responsible , i kno this still may discourage most employers from trusting me into their business . wat could a do when applying for job to should the employer that im am worth giving another shot .
I refuse to take something written this badly as anything but a joke.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:36 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,072,384 times
I was going to give the poster a break and assume it was written as a cellphone text.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:43 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
I was going to give the poster a break and assume it was written as a cellphone text.
Then my advice to OP is to buy a computer, or visit a library, prior to any online job applications.

Oh, and Chyvan, you are being much nicer than I am. As even when texting, all the letters of the alphabet, and punctuation, are available.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:54 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
I would not worry about it.I have 4 times as many jobs in the same time frame and I just got hired and might get another job.Job jumping is the new normal.You just about have to if you want to advance.Employer loyalty to workers is a thing of the past.So why on earth should anyone expect workers to be loyal.
It depends. I have just had long term temp/contract jobs since 2009 (6-12 months each) and I am constantly asked 'why have I 'temped' for so long?', 'why hasn't anyone made me perm', 'do I want a perm job' or they are 'concerned' because I moved around too much.

Sure, if you are in your early - mid 20's employers are more forgiving and accept what you are saying. If you are in your 30's or later, you are expected to have a stable work history. I am not sure how much experience the OP has or what types of jobs she is applying to. If it is in retail, it is expected that there is high turnover

Old 07-23-2014, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,627 times
My name is Deven Shaw and I live in Indiana I am also having the same problem with finding a decent job. Im interested in a factory job that is in my town and somewhat easy to do, I know a job isnt going to be easy but you know what I mean. I also have a TERRIBLE work history, i cant even remember how many factories I have worked in since I turned 18 and I am 20 now. Can someone please give me some advice??

And when i call the temp agencies back to find a job they say I cant work for them anymore because I miss too much work or quit too much. It was mainly due to transportation, I would rather work in my town because I could take my self to work rather than having somebody else take me to work in another town. I have run out of temp services to go to..

Old 07-24-2014, 11:50 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
No one is going to say anything except that you were employed there, IMO. They have probably had 1000 employees come and go since you worked in the fast food places, I would assume they won't even remember one more guy who came and quit after a month or two.

The problem is you haven't worked in 4 years. That is the part that needs to be explained/overcome. I think you need to say something in a cover letter about it, or better yet volunteer somewhere, go cook or serve in a soup kitchen so you can show employers you're not just sitting on your butt for the last 4 years, and also the experience may translate into a real-world job as a short-order cook or waiter, and you may make connections. I think unorthodox, out of the box methods are the only way you are going to overcome the mistakes of your past and get another job.

How old are you, btw? IMO employers are more forgiving of a poor employment history with very young applicants vs. if you're in your late 20's or older.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:17 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
You're going to need to interview very well to future employers. You are going to have to highlight your skills and be able to prove them much more than a typical person who has a stable work history.

Your previous companies CAN say that you quit or were terminated. That's a misconception that goes around frequently. They are typically very careful about what they say so as not to get sued for slander or libel, but if they are providing factual info, they are legally allowed to do so. I've had to take these calls before. I wouldn't typically tell why an employee was terminated, but I would say yes if asked and if they asked were you eligible for rehire I would say no.

Factory and production jobs hinge on people being there every day as they plan their schedule around their workforce. If you can get your foot in the door you will really need to stay there and build up some time and try to get potential employers' minds off of your previous work history.

One thing to remember moving forward... any choice you make has consequences in the future. Always think ahead so that you don't become "unemployable" later down the road. Before quitting, make sure you have something else in place. Job hopping isn't the best thing in the world but it is frowned upon less than someone with a history of quitting.

One of the first things I looked at on an application that went across my desk was length of time on jobs and reason for leaving. If you consistently quit, or job hopped I would push your resume to the side and move to the next one. I work in a production environment. Having people I couldn't depend on made my ability to schedule out my production runs very difficult. You may run into this a lot in a factory, so just be prepared and keep applying. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search