Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:32 PM

171 posts, read 445,232 times

Advertisements

Looks like THESE are the employers who are going to either need to lower their hiring standards,provide more benefits OR go without employees, as I addressed earlier. And going without employees--that's exactly what I understand they're doing, and they have to face the consequences. Eventually they'll either find the right employee OR have to cave and settle---WHICHEVER appears to be more financially viable.
Quote:
Should there be a shortage of qualified applicants at some point, THEN it would make sense for the employer to lower its standards, provide training and education, etc.

Take not of a quote from one article:

“Companies are all feeling the pressure of not finding the level of talent their businesses require,” <<What I get from that is despite the "I CAN'T FIND A JOB!! GAHHHH!!!!" attitude all over America, the people applying for the positions aren't good enough in the eyes of the employer. Simple. Who has the right to tell the business they have to hire right here and right now if they aren't being propped up by taxpayer dollars while they pick through perspective employees?

Where the eff did all of the not-most-qualified people in America get this sense of entitlement to a job that someone else (whether or not the employer has discovered them or not) is more qualified for?

Last edited by Dr_Pepper; 08-09-2011 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Since the great recession, employers have been ridiculously picky in their hiring practices. It's been an employers market for so long now. So, will job candidates have to endure this exessive pickiness by employers as the new normal, even after the economy improves?
Please explain what great recession are you talking about?

busta

Old 08-09-2011, 09:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Amazing. Not my experience at all. Did you know that many places in California hire people because they are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? Did you know many of those places such as LAPD, FBI, LA Sherriffs Dept, and many many more openly hire members of the Mormon Church. Did you know that many Fortune 500 companies also hire members of the Mormon church openly in California. Most of these organizations realize that those people from Utah are educated and ballanced, They will show up for work and chances are won't be on drugs or drunk. They will work hard and get the job done without complaining. One hospital even has a Mormon CEO and a Mormon COO. About a dozen southern California school District Superintendends are members of the Mormon Church. Many entertainment companies in the Burbank area also have a lot of members of the Mormon church working for them. With a state that has as many Mormons or more than Utah has I am amazed that anyone would make the claim that you are making. Even in Orange County their are many employers that hire Mormons. Also amazed by your Gay comments as my brother and many of my friends are gay. I have never seen anyone not hire anyone in California because they are Gay.

I have to agree, I have relatives who live in an upscale suburb of LA and pretty much everyone around them is Mormon. My family is really only there since they have owned the house since the 50s.

Many of them tore down the smaller homes and built these huge homes.

I even joked around once saying "I wish I was a Mormon".

In fact there a Church of LDS right up the street.

The neighbors are all executives in banking or the entertainment industry. In fact one of them works at Warners in Burbank.

And being gay in CA isn't going to keep you from getting a job.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klato View Post
I don't have the $$. I am still paying my student loans (18K). Also, NYC is a rough gym market. I am studying to get my custom brokers license since i am in the logistics field but this is not what i want to do with my life. I am 26 and i really need to figure out what i really want to do with my life
Check out Beach Body and see what they have to offer you. You can make money selling their workout program and system for not a lot of money.

Workout Videos & Home Fitness Programs - Beachbody.com

Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
When employers can't find employees in this market the cause is either
1. Their standards are so obscenely ridiculous no one can qualify
2. They recruit in an incompetent fashion.
3. The pay/benefits they are offering are far below what the market demands for their requirements.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:49 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I have to agree, I have relatives who live in an upscale suburb of LA and pretty much everyone around them is Mormon. My family is really only there since they have owned the house since the 50s.

Many of them tore down the smaller homes and built these huge homes.

I even joked around once saying "I wish I was a Mormon".

In fact there a Church of LDS right up the street.

The neighbors are all executives in banking or the entertainment industry. In fact one of them works at Warners in Burbank.

And being gay in CA isn't going to keep you from getting a job.
Here is a couple listings to check out well known Mormons

Famous Mormons

Mormons in Business - BusinessWeek

Mission Training Grooms Mormons to Pursue Presidency, CEO Suite - Bloomberg

Mormon Stock Index History (http://www.mormonstockindex.com/msi/history.shtml - broken link)

With the election coming next year it will be interesting with both Mit Romney and Jon Huntsmen running for the Republican nomination. If either of them gets the nomination and is elected their conservative leanings will be balanced out by the liberal leaning Senate majority leader Harry Reid also a Mormon. Maybe the prospective Mormon president can have the other Mormon members of congress over for dinner. Including Reid that would be 5 senators and 11 Representatives.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
As long as the job market is so rotten it will be that way. Prospective employers will look for the absolutely perfect candidate. The Government will likely always have its pick as everyone seeks secure employment.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Pepper View Post
Looks like THESE are the employers who are going to either need to lower their hiring standards,provide more benefits OR go without employees, as I addressed earlier. And going without employees--that's exactly what I understand they're doing, and they have to face the consequences. Eventually they'll either find the right employee OR have to cave and settle---WHICHEVER appears to be more financially viable.

Take not of a quote from one article:

“Companies are all feeling the pressure of not finding the level of talent their businesses require,” <<What I get from that is despite the "I CAN'T FIND A JOB!! GAHHHH!!!!" attitude all over America, the people applying for the positions aren't good enough in the eyes of the employer. Simple. Who has the right to tell the business they have to hire right here and right now if they aren't being propped up by taxpayer dollars while they pick through perspective employees?

Where the eff did all of the not-most-qualified people in America get this sense of entitlement to a job that someone else (whether or not the employer has discovered them or not) is more qualified for?

Good post, it's about are able to the job not "please hire me so I can pay bills"

Old 08-13-2011, 06:48 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,826 times
i believe it's mainly due to competition now

Old 08-14-2011, 10:35 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
As long as the job market is so rotten it will be that way. Prospective employers will look for the absolutely perfect candidate. The Government will likely always have its pick as everyone seeks secure employment.
Too bad perfection does not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search