U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:57 AM

148 posts, read 387,092 times

Advertisements

The process used to be:
  • Apply with application or resume
  • Interview and/or testing
  • Complete paperwork
  • Go on assignment

Temporary agencies were always my fallback when in between jobs or wanting extra money. What changed? It's hard to get a callback today, let alone a job?

Has a anyone had success with temp agencies recently? Is this the sign of the times?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 05:39 AM

7,495 posts, read 6,426,485 times
I signed up with a temp agency earlier this year. They gave me a series of computer tests, which I did well on, and I figured I wouldn't have any trouble getting placed. I got called about exactly TWO assignments over six months, but they weren't offered to me - I had to interview and re-test for both of them. Needless to say, I didn't get the positions. Both were temporary duration positions, not temp to hire. One only paid $8.00 an hour and had a very vague job description.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:05 AM

6,578 posts, read 24,057,351 times
Yeah I noticed it was different. I applied online to a big temp agency about a year ago and never heard from them. In the past, it was: call them up, schedule an inteview, go in for an interview and be sent out to work the next day. Luckily I found a perm job fairly quickly and didn't really care they never called me. It did kinda freak me out though. It's clearly not the fallback thing to do anymore.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:28 AM

17,816 posts, read 23,365,973 times
That is because they're now run by people under the age of 25 who have no clue as to how to be professional.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:23 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,914,548 times
It's also because that there are not a lot of what used to be called temp jobs. They are now the new "permanent no-benefit" jobs without the "to hire" part of temp-to-hire. A friend was put on temp-to-hire over a year ago. 4 years ago they would have been hired in 3-6months.

Many "Temp" agencies are now carrying a load of "employees" and I'm sure it is sucking up their resources and is not a "fun" as they thought it would be! Just my opinion, but I don't think there are a lot of the jobs people are used to thinking of as "temp" out there any more.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 101,012,538 times
OMG. I can't believe these answers.

There's two reasons things are different now.

1) People with recent work experience want higher hourly rates. Even if your minimum is as low as $10-$12 per, there's someone else in the database willing to work for $8-$9 per hour.

2) The economy sucks. They dont' have as many temp jobs available.

How to get around this?

1) Call and change your hourly rate to "open"--you'll work for anything.

2) Sign up for multiple agencies and call them once a week. If you happen to call right after they took a new job order, they're more likely to give it to you because it saves them time trying to reach someone else in the database. Be polite and upbeat and say, "I'm checking in to let you know I'm still available." They'll place you eventually---even if it's to get you to stop calling. LOL

Old 12-31-2010, 02:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 101,012,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
It's also because that there are not a lot of what used to be called temp jobs. They are now the new "permanent no-benefit" jobs without the "to hire" part of temp-to-hire. A friend was put on temp-to-hire over a year ago. 4 years ago they would have been hired in 3-6months.

Many "Temp" agencies are now carrying a load of "employees" and I'm sure it is sucking up their resources and is not a "fun" as they thought it would be! Just my opinion, but I don't think there are a lot of the jobs people are used to thinking of as "temp" out there any more.
People who are unemployed could care less if the "temp job" is "permanent no-benefits." They just want work at this point. Any work!

Old 12-31-2010, 02:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,421 posts, read 66,261,702 times
I just hired a temp through an agency to replace the one I already had who took a permanent job elsewhere. They sent me several resumes to choose from, and these people had great experience and skills (on paper) that I wouldn't have expected from an agency temp a few years ago. I think they are just being a lot more picky about who they call because they can, with so many experienced people out of work.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:01 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,322,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
People who are unemployed could care less if the "temp job" is "permanent no-benefits." They just want work at this point. Any work!
Not necessartily true. People know they have 99 weeks to collect unemployment so many people will say why take a low paying temp job with no benefits because I will no longer have an open schedule to continue to interview for jobs I want.

I'm wiht you, I would take a temp job if it was available but studies were done in Holland and a few other European countries. When unemployment lasted 5 years it took 4 years 8 months to find a job. When unemployment was reduced to 3 years it took 2 years and 8 months to find a job.

I dont like it when people lable the unemployed in general as lazy or anything else but in the same token its nieve to think there aren't a whole lot of people out there who are fine gaming the system or waiting on their whole eligible time on UI.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:15 PM

4,585 posts, read 11,724,523 times
No things have changed with the agencies, I've tested and registered with them all and in 2 years have not gotten one temp job even though I test out at 100% on all microsoft products and type 55wpm. I continue to call them every several weeks and one told me that I'd have to come in a re-test I told them I would if they had a job for me but I'm not wasting more of my time doing a 75 mile round trip for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search