Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:22 PM

275 posts, read 743,257 times

Advertisements

There is another part of the hiring situation, for the last several years companies tried to make their workforce more efficient(higher productivity thing). More work has been done by less number of people, benefits were reduced or cut/eliminated. Situation with emplyment/hiring was not bright for several years and employees were patient because they had to. Management was happy and you can not blame them for that. What may happen now is that uptick in hiring may make employees more relaxed and open to change their jobs. So now, when Department/Company loose 1, 2 or 5 people approach may switch from "Let's cut it to the bone" to "Should I hire 1 extra person in case X or Y will quit?" So hiring may stimulate itself. Along with a little bit better situation on stock market, when retirement age employees will feel more comfortable with their 401(k).

Competition works both ways, you can hire someone for cheap, just do not expect high quality results and that person will stay forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 05:56 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Some people are amazing, we are finally getting some traction on economy/employment with outstanding numbers and solid forecasts, and this is met with:

- it is just people holiday spending on maxed out credit cards
- small uptick followed by downard course longer term
- concerns it will be companies hiring in India/Mexico
- now they are just hiring people they laid off with less pay
- left wing media brainwashing

As the company expands where I work for I hope some of you keep your cancerous defeatist attitudes away from it, that **** is contagious.
I would love to feel optimistic about the entire situation. It's pretty hard when my local news flips on the issue weekly.
After countless Apps filled out and very few interviews for myself and many others it's easy to see how a person could feel defeated.
One thing I learned through all of this.. Is when I thought I had it bad before was nothing compared to what I feel now.
For me it was not even so much a monetary issue as it is a loss of self worth, feeling useless and hopeless.. (not that I dont need Money)
I hope so much that everyone gets back on track..

Old 01-08-2011, 06:50 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,254 times
It depends what you call a boom. Many of the jobs that were lost went overseas and are NOT coming back. The US is slowly transforming from a manufacturing economy to an import/service/technology economy. Don't expect to see 3-4% unemployment for a long time, (this is coming from an economist not just me). The more highly educated as whole will be better off than the blue collar worker. It also depends on where you live. I was listening to a talk radio host who lives in Conneticut and he said the malls were packed over the holiday season, and he felt we've turned the corner and the recession is over. Well Conneticut is the wealthiest state in the country. If you live in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, the "rustbelt" economy that relied heavily on manufacturing, then I would say; no, things probably will be bad for awhile

Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
It does really depend on the area and kind of business. I work at a public agency, and while cities and counties around us are still announcing new rounds of layoffs, since November I have hired 2 people and am working on a third. Airlines are doing better, so they will likely be hiring soon, and I have noticed a return of construction on new homes around here after developments sat unfinished for nearly two years.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier12 View Post
There is another part of the hiring situation, for the last several years companies tried to make their workforce more efficient(higher productivity thing). More work has been done by less number of people, benefits were reduced or cut/eliminated. Situation with emplyment/hiring was not bright for several years and employees were patient because they had to. Management was happy and you can not blame them for that. What may happen now is that uptick in hiring may make employees more relaxed and open to change their jobs. So now, when Department/Company loose 1, 2 or 5 people approach may switch from "Let's cut it to the bone" to "Should I hire 1 extra person in case X or Y will quit?" So hiring may stimulate itself. Along with a little bit better situation on stock market, when retirement age employees will feel more comfortable with their 401(k).

Competition works both ways, you can hire someone for cheap, just do not expect high quality results and that person will stay forever.
There's no doubt about current employees planning on quitting their current jobs. According to CNN and Yahoo! Finance, more and more people are quitting their jobs as the job market starts to recover. CNN is claiming that as many as 84% of individuals who are currently employed will be searching for a new job this year because they are unhappy at their current position. Granted, some experts are still telling people to hold off on quitting until they actually find another job, but many individuals are upset about their current job situation and they want to find greener pastures.

Most workers are ready to look for new jobs in 2011 - Dec. 23, 2010

Shove It Indicator Turns Positive: More People Quitting - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Shove-It-Indicator-Turns-cnbc-1403729837.html?x=0 - broken link)

What could this mean? I think it means if 2011 does become a better year in terms of job growth, there is still going to be a lot of competition b/c you have 15 million unemployed, plus the underemployed, plus the full-time employed who want to work for a different company. So, I hope job growth does continue--especially when it comes to hiring Americans--but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed since there will be an influx of competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search