Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,526,602 times

Advertisements

I agree with Nick99, draft the letters and contact the people and ask them if it would be OK for them to review the letters and sign off on them. That you didn't want to trouble them with writing a letter so would this be alright. They might even say doing the letter is no problem.

Besides how would the OP get around the issue if the school district decides to contact these people? Can you imagine the reaction if they call and the person says "what letter, I didn't write any letter".

And if the OP used "made up" people, well that is even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 05:33 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,332,257 times
THREE words for yah...DON'T DO IT

Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,759,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Letters of recommendation to most people are a piece of cake and one of the happy parts of the job hunt.
Not for everyone... I dread asking for those things, and luckily haven't had to in many years (they typically just ask for reference contact info, not a whole letter). As a former supervisor myself, I also didn't like writing them for anyone - so I understand not wanting to put someone out, especially if you hadn't worked for them in a long time. Not that I recommend falsifying anything, but I do understand the OP's hesitation.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:20 AM

148 posts, read 408,029 times
Did they ask for letters of reference or a list of references? They may just wNt contact info so they can call then directly in which case you idea is null and void.

Don't lie, the truth always come to light! Are you hiding something?

Old 01-11-2011, 03:30 AM

126 posts, read 723,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
With all due respect, I find it a little discomforting that a teacher whose responsibility it is to guide young minds and lead by example would even consider falsifying references.
Bing-go! Something smells a bit fishy here.

I have a glowing "reference list" and every person on
that list would go out of their way to write a letter,
and to mention it, 5 of the 9 have (I feel I don't
need 9 reference letters).

Anyone who has agreed to be a reference should have
no issue with writing a letter. And they will do it without
regard for "being paid back".

Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,526,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myDeliverance View Post
Did they ask for letters of reference or a list of references? They may just wNt contact info so they can call then directly in which case you idea is null and void.

Don't lie, the truth always come to light! Are you hiding something?
Many times school districts want reference letters not just references. I did substitute teaching for the Los Angeles Unified School District and that required two letters from former employers.

And this was after I had already worked for them in the late 80s and decided to go back and work for them again after getting laid off in 2001.

And they had to be from employers. A personal reference would not be accepted.

It was aggravating as I was still in their system, but I had to do it.

I think some people have been a little harsh on the OP.

As Gizmo said it can be awkward to have to call up a former employer(especially if you don't keep in contact), and ask them to sit down and write you a letter if you have seen or had any contact with them in say five years.

Most people don't mind talking to someone on the phone, but may feel put out or not to bother to write a letter.

That is why it is always good to keep some type of communication open with former employers even if it just occasional.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,679,689 times
You should have gotten reference letters when you left your previous positions and kept them on file for future use.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:04 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,999,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You should have gotten reference letters when you left your previous positions and kept them on file for future use.
This is what I was thinking. You shouldn't have to get letters everytime you apply for a job.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:07 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,228,129 times
Default A prospective teacher falsifying references? Really?

I mean, REALLY?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,969,287 times
OP, you've checked out in every other way. Why would you risk falsifying letters?

I do empathize with not wanting to bug people. I am the same way. I have written letters for myself before and asked people to just sign off on them and told them to feel free to edit in any way. I haven't liked doing it, but it's something I've done.

The OP doesn't necessarily have to be hiding anything big. It could be something as simple as a name change (which I did myself) and for this reason I will not go back in time and ask for references even though I'd get great ones, as I don't want to have to explain the whole name change thing.

In a few words - don't do it. While Phoenix is a huge town, it's really a small one. You'd be surprised how news can travel. Unless, of course, you are willing to relocate to an entirely new city where no one knows you except then you'll REALLY have no references.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 01-11-2011 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search