Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 06:00 AM

303 posts, read 396,330 times

Advertisements

It's been 3 years since this post was made. Is OP still here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 08:10 AM

50,765 posts, read 36,458,112 times
No, last post in 2011 if you click his name.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:38 PM

552 posts, read 834,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No, last post in 2011 if you click his name.
LOL maybe he did what he named this thread and killed himself

Old 03-05-2014, 12:53 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times
Man. These posts bring tears to my eyes. I feel so bad for the ones that are going through tough times. I know how you all may feel. I'm going through tough times, too. Be strong.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:54 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
You won't like my answer...but who are you living with? What I have found, is that if someone is paying for your food, and shelter, those are the people who say they can't find a job...but if you had a choice of living in a shelter, or working and paying rent, I think that you would be able to get a job...it may not be the job you want, or the pay you want, but it would be a job...have you applied at 7-11, for the midnight shift? It is low paying, but a job...
Yes, desperation is a great motivator and anyone who says they can't find a job is just being picky or not motivated enough because someone else is carrying them. If they were independent and faced with losing their home and the clothes on their back, they'd magically have a job tomorrow!

Or not and end up one of the millions of jobless, homeless people sleeping at bus stations or the ones who end up turning to illegal or otherwise unsavory activities because they were willing to do literally anything to stay afloat and no one was giving them the opportunity to do that legitimately...

OP, I get it. I know what it feels like to just want to support yourself and move forward in life and not have hardships and not have to worry about if and when you'll have money in your pocket. All I can say is hang in there.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:03 PM

21 posts, read 38,884 times
I am borderline thinking of drastic solutions. I am honestly considering dropping out of "the game" and being homeless. I figure it's bound to happen sooner or later, I can only afford to look for work so long with my student loan payments costing more then my part time job's gross pay a month is.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:32 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,584,614 times
The mainstream media has happy days are here again playing on every show. whats up?? There not making things up are they??

Old 03-06-2014, 01:07 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
The mainstream media has happy days are here again playing on every show. whats up?? There not making things up are they??
Of course they are making stuff up.

The unemployment number grossly underestimate the real problems, the Fed just keeps printing money, we're supposed to believe "inflation is low" - even though it ignores energy, food, and a bunch of other things that have skyrocketed in price.

They need to keep the people dulled down and thinking that the current situation is fine. It also helps if they can turn the people against each other... anything to avoid having the "common folk" ask questions of their masters, such as: what happened to our jobs / the Bailout money / etc.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:11 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
we're supposed to believe "inflation is low" - even though it ignores energy, food, and a bunch of other things that have skyrocketed in price.

Energy and food are both included in the inflation index (CPI), though their percentages very well may be understated.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:20 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Energy and food are both included in the inflation index (CPI), though their percentages very well may be understated.
Sort of, but that's not the whole story:

Headline inflation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Headline inflation also called as WPI inflation is a measure of the total inflation within an economy and is affected by areas of the market which may experience sudden inflationary spikes such as food or energy. As a result, headline inflation may not present an accurate picture of the current state of the economy as it doesn't take account of service sector. It is also called Top-line inflation. This differs from core inflation (also called non-food-manufacturing inflation or underlying inflation), which excludes factors such as food and energy costs.

Most Western countries use core inflation as a measure of inflation while countries like India prefer headline inflation as measure of inflation. This is so because in Western economies food and energy availability are not major problems of masses while in countries like India they are very important. Headline inflation is a more useful measure for households as it gives idea of rise in cost of living while central banks prefer to deal with core inflation as it is less volatile in nature and better reflects effects of supply and demand on GDP."

Core inflation, as used in most western nations, ignores food and energy, based upon the idiotic notion that they are "easily available" - that's true, but not tracking the ever increasing price of them (available or not) is disingenuous and misses the point of tracking total inflation. They do compute the headline inflation with that info as well, but it's not the "official number" used, which is core inflation... which leaves out areas that are vastly increasing in price. And let's not get into everything else they effectively ignore (medical care, college, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search