Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 07:57 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times

Advertisements

Do you feel that a Resume should be on white paper only ?

If you have a type of paper that has design on it, such as a pale scene, do you feel it detracts or sparks more interest to have something that stands out ?

So is it white paper only and always ....or use colored paper or slight designs ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Do you feel that a Resume should be on white paper only ?

If you have a type of paper that has design on it, such as a pale scene, do you feel it detracts or sparks more interest to have something that stands out ?

So is it white paper only and always ....or use colored paper or slight designs ?
It really depends upon the job you are applying to but the general consensus is white, off-white or beige color. Best to err on the conservative side unless you are looking for a job where you need to show off your artsy side.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I agree, off-white just to make it stand out a bit, if you do use paper. We "encourage" all applicants to submit their resume online. That way we can review them from our HR management software andjust print out the ones we want to invite for interviews. When you get 60-100 applicants for one opening and only 5-6 are qualified it saves a lot of tie (and paper). One guy did a "european style" resume, with a color photo and all kinds of fancy colored graphics. (rejected)

Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
If it has any kind of graphics, it should graphics that you design, and demonstrate a skill required for the job.

Those paper packs you see at Kinko's with the colorful borders? Save them for personal letters.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:25 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
If you are in a graphics or creative industry, design your resume. Otherwise use arial or times font, in not too small of a font size, no smaller than 10, preferably 11 or 12 points.
on a nice heaveyweight stock, preferably very lt grey, white, or cream. Envelopes to match. Mostly likely you will be submitting online into a database, but bring some nice ones to the interview to hand out.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:28 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,021 times
My name is in purple on my resume and everything else is basic/traditional. I don't know if companies like it or dislike it. I've never gotten any specific feedback on it... but would I think if the job is very creative you should have a more creative resume.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:42 PM

Thank you everyone. I decided to go with heavystock white paper.

My name is a different color than the rest of the resume, the remainder of the resume is in black.

My resume was submitted online and I am bringing a copy of my resume to the interview. ( I read last night it's a good idea to bring a hard copy of your resume ).

Old 01-27-2011, 06:55 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone. I decided to go with heavystock white paper.

My name is a different color than the rest of the resume, the remainder of the resume is in black.

My resume was submitted online and I am bringing a copy of my resume to the interview. ( I read last night it's a good idea to bring a hard copy of your resume ).
You should bring several copies, at least one for each person you will be interviewing with.

Also, if they move further with you a next step will likely be to ask for references. You should also have a couple of copies of reference sheets with you as well (just in case).

Old 01-28-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
You should bring several copies, at least one for each person you will be interviewing with.

Also, if they move further with you a next step will likely be to ask for references. You should also have a couple of copies of reference sheets with you as well (just in case).
I was curious about references : The online application does not request any.

Is this something they ask for when they are considering hiring you ?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
Quote:
I was curious about references : The online application does not request any.

Is this something they ask for when they are considering hiring you ?
Generally, yes. Checking references is time-intensive. So most employers will narrow down the field of applicants to their top choice, or perhaps two or three, and check only those references as a means of confirming their choice. There are exceptions though. Some employers will check everyone's references as a matter of policy.

Generally it is a good idea to have them on hand at any time during your job search, including at the interview, but don't offer them until asked. When you are asked and provide your references, it's helpful to give your references a heads-up that they might be getting a call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search