Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:34 PM

26 posts, read 73,244 times

Advertisements

I have been waiting on job offers with nothing. I did an email follow up with a woman and she told me it would be a few weeks. It has been a few weeks, no rejection letter or anything like I have usually gotten by now so do I email again? or is that just too needy and annoying? I know they say if someone wants you bad enough they will keep in contact. But do I really have anything to lose if I email again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 02:50 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,603,830 times
by recontacting, you will seem needy and annoying, and if you feel like you have nothing to lose by recontacting go ahead.

If you really have the strong, strong urge perhaps make a phone call and advise them you are looking at another offer and want to know if you are a front-runner candidate or if you should put aside your interest in their company. I am always honest with candidates who approach me in that manner b/c I don't want to see anyone lose opportunities if we have ruled them out.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:29 PM

26 posts, read 73,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
by recontacting, you will seem needy and annoying, and if you feel like you have nothing to lose by recontacting go ahead.

If you really have the strong, strong urge perhaps make a phone call and advise them you are looking at another offer and want to know if you are a front-runner candidate or if you should put aside your interest in their company. I am always honest with candidates who approach me in that manner b/c I don't want to see anyone lose opportunities if we have ruled them out.
I don't want to lose out on an opportunity by rushing them and I don't want to look needy and annoying (although I am needy). If they want me they'll contact me, if they don't then I'll just continue looking like I have been. A few weeks in business may not be a few weeks for the unemployed. They've got other things they are doing, and there are about 10 other jobs they are hiring for as well. I'll sit tight, as hard as it is to do!

Old 01-28-2011, 03:46 PM

148 posts, read 407,839 times
Just keep looking until you have a job offer in hand from this company or another one. A few weeks to you may mean 3 weeks, to the hiring manager, it may mean 6 weeks. Keep searching.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,622,222 times
Once you have a job offer, call companies you preferred and tell them that you were offered a job but you prefer their company.

If they were interested in you but merely too busy to finalize an offer, they might quickly make a counter offer. If not, you've lost nothing because you have another job offer anyway.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,104 posts, read 80,174,082 times
It often does take time. For our current opening, we had 15 applicants and interviewed 3. We didn't consider that enough to choose from so then opened it back up and got another 40+ applicants of which we'll interview another 5 or 6. The first 3 are still in the running. This has been going on now since before Christmas.

We simply want to get the best possible person for the job and while it's hard to get the work done short handed, it's even harder to clean up after someone that doesn't know what they are doing.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Once you have a job offer, call companies you preferred and tell them that you were offered a job but you prefer their company.

If they were interested in you but merely too busy to finalize an offer, they might quickly make a counter offer. If not, you've lost nothing because you have another job offer anyway.
I strongly disagree. I had a friend who did that( and this was years ago when the economy was better). They told her "we wish you the best with Company B".

After two interviews she got impatient and removed herself unintentionally from the job with Company A.

You try that now in this economy and chances are very good they will tell you "best of luck with Company B".

Old 01-28-2011, 09:45 PM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,500,486 times
Back in 1978 I did a call back to let the person who interviewed me know that I really would like to work for her. I was hired and worked for her until she died. Now I am retired from the place after 28 years working there. When you are looking for a job, I don't think you can be too eager. Some people like to have their egos stroked or they may be trying to decide and it always helps to let them know you like their company. Don't be pushy, just eager.

They know you need a job or you wouldn't be sending out resumes.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:59 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I strongly disagree. I had a friend who did that( and this was years ago when the economy was better). They told her "we wish you the best with Company B".

After two interviews she got impatient and removed herself unintentionally from the job with Company A.

You try that now in this economy and chances are very good they will tell you "best of luck with Company B".
More than likely your friend was not one of the top candidates for the position-- she had not been already eliminated but she was more than likely the second tier third tier choice.

It is a good way of finding out where you stand with a company.

I had a friend who had a pending offer-- (she truly did) but really wanted to work with the other place she had interviewed. She preferred their benefits, the structure of the department, the potential salary, and the travel.

Of course, Murphy's Law-- the first company (the lesser preferred had called back and made the offer) so she did contact the first. They told her they would contact her later that week and just needed to do one more final thing. They called her within 24 hours to make the offer and sent out the offer letter by within 72 hours.

She pushed them-- because she was their top candidate. SHe didn't really realize she was, but they didn't want to play around and see if she was serious about having another offer.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:04 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,623,969 times
But to answer the OP's post---

Here is pretty much where you stand.

If you are pretty high in their list of candidates-- touching base with them (after 3 weeks) is NOT going to make you needy.

If you are ranked pretty low in their selection criteria-- calling them or emailing them after 3 weeks with no information is either going to remind them to let you know that you are not their final choice, ignore you (some folks are cowards), etc.

If you are middle of the range and they don't want to turn you off (i.e. they havent disqualified you but they are still interviewing, etc) then they will just let you know that they are still in process.

I say-- if it has been 3 weeks-- I would email. Just as a follow up, don't go into some huge long winded schpill, but just a quick email about doing a checkin because this job/company was the top in your list, blah blah blah blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search