Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:44 PM

107 posts, read 214,246 times

Advertisements

Many of the state universities have unions. I called the HR person in charge of processing the online applications and resumes at our local universities to ask why I have not gotten an interview for the last 10 jobs I applied to, and she told me that many of the jobs are going to the union members transferring from other departments. I also know many people who work there (have them as references) and they all say the same thing: you have to have really good connections to get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 06:07 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post

Personally-- I did not like working for the universities. At the state run schools, the tuition benefits were miserly as was the pay.
The universities that I'm come across offer decent tuition benefits, but better for another member in the family: the spousal and children benefits. However, many state schools prohibit tuition remission into law school, med school and most other expensive programs for that spouse, and I think only undergraduate studies for children.

The benefits for the employee are ok - the employee will still have to work full-time, so at most, might be able to take 2 evening courses each semester for free (~4 grad classes/yr), but is limited of course to programs at the university. That individual could get a job elsewhere that pays more (that helps with salary history), and if that employment offers educational benefits ~$5000/yr (~2 grad classes/yr), it could go towards a program at any university.

If none or only half is covered, the individual could qualify for a tax deduction.

However, at a university job - one is in an environment where pursuing grad courses is more understood, and it's easy commuting from work to class also.

In a private sector job that is away from a university, a supervisor might not like why one is leaving early, can't stay until 9pm to finish something. There might be a lot of travel involved that interferes with classes.

Last edited by avg12; 02-12-2011 at 06:18 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 06:15 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmom View Post
Many of the state universities have unions. I called the HR person in charge of processing the online applications and resumes at our local universities to ask why I have not gotten an interview for the last 10 jobs I applied to, and she told me that many of the jobs are going to the union members transferring from other departments. I also know many people who work there (have them as references) and they all say the same thing: you have to have really good connections to get in.
Aren't the positions listed as union or non union?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,559 times
If you are interested in getting an administrative job at a university, try applying for a secretarial or administrative assistant job.

University administrators have often worked their way up from the secretarial pool over many years. It's not really about "connections" so much as it is about having knowledge of the institution that only comes from having worked there for a long time.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:37 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
I think a lot of college jobs are being taken by people who held them part-time while in school, or who take them upon graduation from that school, for the same reason as the OP- people often prefer a college environment to a strictly business one. They can pick and choose, I think.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:45 PM

127 posts, read 183,653 times
At the college I went to, it's because the Human Resources department is controlled by angry women who have puffed themselves up thinking they're the President because they "control" hiring. I am on a local forum as well, and one of the girls there has posted mean remarks about the people hiring for the positions, made fun of them, discussed their characteristics that made them unfit, etc. It's so tempting to report her, because she IS violating the disclaimer on the University hiring portal which says "Your application info is confidential and will not be shared with anyone," but I won't – I'll let her hang herself by her own rope instead.

In my experience dealing with HR, as well, too many people in this industry are very self-important and vindictive. It's best to go around them. Universities typically require you to go through their hiring portals to apply for jobs. Don't. That's how you get stuck in the HR game. Find an inside contact in the department you want to work for (LinkedIn is GREAT for this) and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search