Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:09 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
In other words, do not bother to apply for a position unless you have about 90% of the qualifications listed. I used this rule of thumb and got interviews for most positions I applied for 2 years ago while unemployed.

What kind of burns me is "experience with XXX is a plus" WELL do we need experience with XXX or NOT? What it says to me (with the fearsome competition out there): DO NOT bother to apply unless you have experience with XXX because there is definitely someone out there that has experience with XXX.

Great tips and insight from the original post.
Well, if you have 90% of the qualifications then you probably are way ahead of the other candidates. But this normally isn't the case especially with "additional skills is a plus." I do on occasion get a resume which seems to have it all. But not often. So I'd recommend still applying if lets say 70% of the requirements are met. It doesn't hurt to try. I've been hired for positions around that number for example. I know we've brought other people in with 70%+ of the requirements. You just never will know who you are or are not competing against for any given job.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-11-2011 at 09:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:52 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Well, if you have 90% of the qualifications then you probably are way ahead of the other candidates. But this normally isn't the case especially with "additional skills is a plus." I do on occasion get a resume which seems to have it all. But not often. So I'd recommend still applying if lets say 70% of the requirements are met. It doesn't hurt to try. I've been hired for positions around that number for example. I know we've brought other people in with 70%+ of the requirements. You just never will know who you are or are not competing against for any given job.

Derek
Thanks for sharing this information, Derek. It's a great help to many of us on the prowl for a new job. I think what a lot of us find frustrating is applying for positions and never hearing back from the company. It makes you wonder what you can do better, if anything.

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 02-11-2011 at 10:14 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Thanks for sharing this information, Derek. It's a great help to many of us on the prowl for a new job. I think what a lot of us find frustrating is applying for positions and never hearing back from the company. It makes you wonder what you can do better, if anything.
Yep, been there done that myself. I was never handed a corporate job on a platter. I went to those job fairs and passed out my resume, never heard back from a soul. It felt like some kind of black hole or meaningless process (at the time). And I even applied to my current company on a number of occasions without hearing back.

I had to start small and work my way up. And the dot com crash was a rough ride, let me tell you. The key is to keep plugging along. Don't expect to go from A to Z right away. I'll use the IT field as an example since that is what I'm in. Let's say your goal is to work for Google, Apple or Oracle some day. Well, you send them your resume and guess what? Nothing, that's what!

Well, ask yourself this question. What is it that Oracle is really looking for, I mean specifics, what types of skills, technologies are they after? Now go and find a way to learn those skills at smaller companies or with temporary positions, etc... Skill building is the key. Fill your resume with quality experiences and you will be surprised what happens. And it may take several jobs and years to get to that point. But when you make a move make sure it is a strategic one. Don't just go for the money first, but rather look for the best opportunity to gain valuable experience. Then the rest will follow.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-12-2011 at 12:24 AM..

Old 02-14-2011, 03:29 PM

63 posts, read 287,269 times
Thank you for taking the time to type this out and post it.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa1228 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to type this out and post it.
You're welcome, glad to be of some help.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search