Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 AM

231 posts, read 814,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I live in an area that's not quite like the rest of the country - there's an economic boom here right now. I decided to just put out my resume a little bit, see if I got any responses. I was working for awhile but quit my job to stay at home with my kids. However, they're in school and I'm bored. I am really just looking for something flexible to do until the summer starts. (Due to the economic boom here daycare is insanely expensive and difficult to find, figured I'd just stay home in the summer.)

Anyway, I've already been called for a few interviews and had one yesterday. It was scheduled for 11:30AM. I walked into the place and the receptionist was on the phone so I stood back and waited until she was finished. Once done she asked me how she could help me, I told her I was there for an interview. I was about 5 minutes early and she told me to take a seat. As I was walking to my seat I heard the receptionist actually start to whisper about my clothes. When I sat down I couldn't hear her anymore, but she had a sheet of paper covering her face while she was talking to another girl working the front desk. The company was clearly a more casual company (they were wearing jeans and sweatshirts) and she was talking about how I didn't have to dress so nice for something like a job interview (I was in slacks, a nice sweater, and dress shoes). I personally would NEVER go into an interview dressed in jeans.

My interview didn't actually happen until 11:50, at which point I was trying to figure out how to politely let them know I was no longer interested in the position.

If the job economy here was different, I would have probably waited without complaint. But as it stands right now I know that if I wanted to I could have a job within 2-3 days and I've already been called for several interviews. I just couldn't figure out a polite way (since I don't like to burn bridges) to let them know that I didn't really want to work for their company.

What would you have said in that situation?

As soon as you met your interviewer, I would have said, "I dont think its in the best interest for either party to continue with this job interview anymore" If you are asked why, you state that you overheard the receptionist make rude comments regarding your attire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 01:01 PM

63 posts, read 287,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Have you thought about applying for classified work in the school system there? Might be a good way to get summers/holiday breaks off with your children without having to quit a job.
What is classified work in the school system? Which jobs fall into this category?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa1228 View Post
What is classified work in the school system? Which jobs fall into this category?
Office workers, teacher's aides, school cafeteria, that sort of thing. Works well for lots of moms.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:48 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
What is the point of going through an interview at a place you aren't interested in working? Unless you need to practice interviewing, that's just a waste of time.

After overhearing the receptionist's rude comments, I would just walk out. Don't say a word, don't look at anyone, just leave. Chances are good you won't hear from them again. If they do call you, tell them you won't be back and why.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:24 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
Who cares what the receptionists whisper about. What are you in high school? They're not going to be interviewing you, hiring you, or paying your salary. In this economy you're worried about some dumb a*s receptionists? I would get hired there AND HAVE THEM FIRED AS THEY SOUND LIKE TROUBLEMAKERS. Or, after getting hired, influence management to change the dress code and they would be forced to dress professionally. They would never bother you again after that. I could never work in a place so casual that allows people to wear jeans and sweatshirts. That's pathetic. No wonder they behave like grade school kids. Unprofessional attire leads to unprofessional behavior often, as people relax their standards in general.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:34 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Who cares what the receptionists whisper about. What are you in high school? They're not going to be interviewing you, hiring you, or paying your salary. In this economy you're worried about some dumb a*s receptionists? I would get hired there AND HAVE THEM FIRED AS THEY SOUND LIKE TROUBLEMAKERS. Or, after getting hired, influence management to change the dress code and they would be forced to dress professionally. They would never bother you again after that. I could never work in a place so casual that allows people to wear jeans and sweatshirts. That's pathetic. No wonder they behave like grade school kids. Unprofessional attire leads to unprofessional behavior often, as people relax their standards in general.
Wow... vindictive much?

A - I did not whisper about them behind their backs or criticize them for their attire. If that's the level of professionalism that place of business chooses to keep that is their decision. However, my own preference is to work for a place that is professional in both how they conduct business as well as how they appear and look. My behavior was not relative to that of someone attending high school.

B - My local economy is GREAT. I live in Williston, ND - where unemployment is insanely low and there are a ton of office jobs (as well as other jobs) available. It has been on CNBC, NPR, and has also been covered in the New York Post as well as other national outlets. The Discovery Channel is even considering doing a TV show about people who are moving here to work since the economy here is doing fantastic. This is the one place in the entire country right now that is going through an economic boom - if I really wanted a job I could get one tomorrow. I have the ability to be picky because it's an employee's market up here. That being said, the whole point of this thread was to figure out a way to handle a situation like this with class. It's a small town and I have no desire to give myself a bad reputation by walking out of an interview or being rude. The company may not have treated me that great, but that doesn't justify me treating them the same way.

C - My whole problem was the company's complete lack of professionalism. From the way they dress, to whispering about me, to getting to my interview 20 minutes late. The entire thing was extremely unprofessional and I have no interest working for a company that doesn't seem to take pride in itself or how it's represented.

D - I am not vindictive enough to accept a position with a company that I do not want just to get people who whispered about me fired.

The fact that you make a comment about me being in high school when all the things you state you would do if it had been you reek of immature behavior is funny, though.

I'm not interested in changing how they do business, I'm not interested in going after them for talking about me, my feelings were not hurt, and I didn't take what they did personally. If that is the kind of atmosphere they choose to keep in their workplace and they are OK with it then good for them. Involving myself with their business for the sole purpose of getting revenge on the front office workers is immature and would achieve nothing.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:35 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I live in an area that's not quite like the rest of the country - there's an economic boom here right now. I decided to just put out my resume a little bit, see if I got any responses. I was working for awhile but quit my job to stay at home with my kids. However, they're in school and I'm bored. I am really just looking for something flexible to do until the summer starts. (Due to the economic boom here daycare is insanely expensive and difficult to find, figured I'd just stay home in the summer.)

Anyway, I've already been called for a few interviews and had one yesterday. It was scheduled for 11:30AM. I walked into the place and the receptionist was on the phone so I stood back and waited until she was finished. Once done she asked me how she could help me, I told her I was there for an interview. I was about 5 minutes early and she told me to take a seat. As I was walking to my seat I heard the receptionist actually start to whisper about my clothes. When I sat down I couldn't hear her anymore, but she had a sheet of paper covering her face while she was talking to another girl working the front desk. The company was clearly a more casual company (they were wearing jeans and sweatshirts) and she was talking about how I didn't have to dress so nice for something like a job interview (I was in slacks, a nice sweater, and dress shoes). I personally would NEVER go into an interview dressed in jeans.

My interview didn't actually happen until 11:50, at which point I was trying to figure out how to politely let them know I was no longer interested in the position.

If the job economy here was different, I would have probably waited without complaint. But as it stands right now I know that if I wanted to I could have a job within 2-3 days and I've already been called for several interviews. I just couldn't figure out a polite way (since I don't like to burn bridges) to let them know that I didn't really want to work for their company.

What would you have said in that situation?
I think I'm missing something here. You don't want the job because the RECEPTIONIST doesn't like your clothes???

Old 02-15-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
What is the point of going through an interview at a place you aren't interested in working? Unless you need to practice interviewing, that's just a waste of time.

After overhearing the receptionist's rude comments, I would just walk out. Don't say a word, don't look at anyone, just leave. Chances are good you won't hear from them again. If they do call you, tell them you won't be back and why.
It's a small town where, if any of them had been local, they could of easily spread the word about me walking out. I don't want to get a bad reputation locally that could prevent my ability to get a job that I really want.

I'd never actually been to the company before, I applied online. Had I known that they chose to operate that way before going I wouldn't have scheduled an interview or even applied. Considering the type of business they ran though I was shocked to see how they chose to do things. If I had applied with a construction company I wouldn't have been so surprised by jeans and maybe a blouse or something similar. But this wasn't that type of company.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I think I'm missing something here. You don't want the job because the RECEPTIONIST doesn't like your clothes???
I didn't want the job because the receptionist was a gossip (if all it took was my clothes to make her comment... imagine having to work with someone like that on a daily basis and what else they would gossip about), because they were over 20 minutes late on getting to my interview (and even knew that I had another obligation at 12:30, they didn't bother to start the interview until 11:50), no one told me what was going on during the over 20 minutes that I waited, and I continued to listen to the receptionist gossip to the other front office worker about other employees that worked there.

The company didn't respect my time, they were extremely unprofessional, and my job would have been an office job meaning the very person who was being rude was the person I was going to have to work with.

Not exactly the kind of environment I wanted to work in. They were unorganized and unprofessional.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:51 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
LMAO big time. She can bash unemployed people but when some receptionists talk mess she can't swallow her lumps. Karma is a beitch. How would she handle a tough interviewer? Cry? Lose her temper? These recruiters.....really now. They throw their weight around on an anonymous board but when some gatekeepers talk scheit in front of them ...they lose nerve. I would have said something to the talkers especially if I knew I didn't want the job. LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search