Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
It's a small town where, if any of them had been local, they could of easily spread the word about me walking out. I don't want to get a bad reputation locally that could prevent my ability to get a job that I really want.
True...but I'm a bit curious here. You've said that you want to get a job for a short time during the school year and then quit when summer comes. By the same token, that sort of thing is going to get around town as well.

I hope that you're professional and upfront with potential employers about this plan, or are looking for opportunities where taking summers off would be possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 05:02 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
LMAO big time. She can bash unemployed people but when some receptionists talk mess she can't swallow her lumps. Karma is a beitch. How would she handle a tough interviewer? Cry? Lose her temper? These recruiters.....really now. They throw their weight around on an anonymous board but when some gatekeepers talk scheit in front of them ...they lose nerve. I would have said something to the talkers especially if I knew I didn't want the job. LMAO
You know what... I think I'll just put you on ignore. I've noticed a couple other threads where your negative attitude just continues. I don't know what your problem is, but I do know that your problem is not my own.

I try and conduct myself with a certain level of professionalism when I'm dealing with a potential employer, even if I'm not interested in working for them right now. I'm not going to get angry at the receptionist for talking about my clothes, I'm not going to go tell someone off if they want to gossip. I'm not going to feed the receptionist with more ammo, which is exactly what feeding into her behavior would have done.

So, good luck with whatever you're trying to do with your life and hopefully your attitude improves.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
True...but I'm a bit curious here. You've said that you want to get a job for a short time during the school year and then quit when summer comes. By the same token, that sort of thing is going to get around town as well.

I hope that you're professional and upfront with potential employers about this plan, or are looking for opportunities where taking summers off would be possible.
I'm honest in the interview. Unless it's a job I really like I let them know that my family comes first and that I'm not looking for a career or anything long term. In fact... in the interview yesterday they were kind of shocked with my level of honesty. But I'd rather be upfront during an interview so they understand exactly what I'm looking for before they offer me a position that isn't going to work out for both of us.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
I am a little confused. The OP is/was up until recently posting on here about working for a recruiting agency for jobs in North Dakota in the oil fields.

Did you just quit that job and now are looking for another?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I am a little confused. The OP is/was up until recently posting on here about working for a recruiting agency for jobs in North Dakota in the oil fields.

Did you just quit that job and now are looking for another?
I was until January. I quit because the job required a lot of my time and effort and I wanted to be more accessible to my kids who are in school. If I can find a job where I work while they're in school and am OK to quit during the summer I might take it. But I'm not looking very hard for a new job and I have been upfront in all of my interviews of exactly what I want to do. I'm still in North Dakota, my husband works in oil, and I still have a lot of contacts and am still friends with a lot of the people who work in oil.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I could never work in a place so casual that allows people to wear jeans and sweatshirts. That's pathetic. No wonder they behave like grade school kids. Unprofessional attire leads to unprofessional behavior often, as people relax their standards in general.
Dang... I'm a professional librarian, which most people think of as a rather "uptight" and intellectual line of work - and pretty much EVERY library where I've worked allowed casual wear (jeans & casual shirts, just no tank tops or the like). Every workplace is different, and allowing jeans doesn't mean it's a pathetic or childish environment. Even my old boss, who was supervisor of the entire children's & extension division, wore jeans and t-shirts nearly every day. She was a very professional and competent woman, so her attire clearly didn't mean diddly-squat. Obviously a library is different from a corporate-type of environment, but you'll find many offices where jeans are allowed too.

And to the OP, I think you handled it perfectly! It would be one thing if you were desperate for the job, but considering your situation I think it was the right thing to do... just go through the interview, and politely decline if offered. Good luck in finding what you want.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:55 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I am in Williston, ND. I'll put some links at the end of my post about the area and where you can look for jobs, but just an FYI they don't tend to take out of state applicants very seriously around here since finding a place to live is hard. (Literally, waiting lists for apartments are over a year long and even buying a house takes months due to a shortage of appraisers and inspectors.)

Tampa - I am just looking for easy entry level jobs, mostly in an office setting. I don't want anything with a lot of responsibility since I still want to be accessible for school activities and things like that. I've been home on and off over the last few years, but when I've worked it's always been jobs with low levels of responsibility.

Here's some articles/videos about Williston:

News Headlines (http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?play=1&video=1689063296 - broken link)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/us/21ndakota.html

Flock To N.D. Oil Town Leads To Housing Crisis : NPR

If you're looking for a job check out:

Williston Herald - Online Edition
The Shopper Inc., - Classifieds: Help Wanted, Real Estate & More - Williston, North Dakota. We're not your average newspaper!
Job Service North Dakota
When I read your thread I knew you were in Williston, ND before you said it!
Right out of college I was offered a job there for $105K a year-- and I declined-- because it's Williston! I just can't stand that kind of cold.

Better get your swimsuit though, I hear the high there on Friday is 8 degrees! Woohoo!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:55 AM

71 posts, read 155,511 times
one hundred-five K would make me feel warm all over

Old 02-16-2011, 01:06 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I thought you live in Utah and where thinking of moving to Wyomng in another thread?

Old 02-16-2011, 02:09 AM

372 posts, read 521,661 times
I went through an interview years ago. It was (more than obvious) from the time I walked through the front door this woman had a bug up her---well, you get the general idea. While I was polite and professional, she was just the opposite. At one point she demanded, irritated: "Why are you here?"

"Because you invited me", I answered, smiling.

I was laughing afterwards as I walked through the parking lot to my car. What a hoot.

I later discovered Miss Congeniality had a curiously high turnover of staff in her department. I wonder why...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search