Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 11,586 times

Advertisements

I have a dilemma. I applied for a position as an interal transfer (with the approval of my supervisor). This is a position that I am very qualified for and have been doing part of the job already for more than a year. I was told by the hiring manager that she wanted someone like me up there, but that my immediate supervisor was undecided about letting me go. (but she did sign off on the request after I was told that) I was advised that the hiring manager would be interviewing many candidates. They are now scheduling the final interview for the leading candidate (I have access to my boss' and the hiring manager's calendar) but have not yet interviewed me. For that matter, they have not even spoken to me further about it.

Our policy states that the company encourages transfers within the organization. I have met every requirement to qualify for this transfer. My question is, do I have any recourse with my company if they choose an external candidate over a qualified internal candidate? Especially since they did not even give me the courtesy of an interview?

I am unsure of how to handle this, as being rejected for a position I am well-qualified for because my boss doesn't want to lose me in the position I am in, doesn't seem appropriate or fair. Any advice would be welcome!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I would follow up and ask when your interview is gonig to be. I would not under any circumstances mention that you saw on their calendar someone else being interviewed.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:48 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletletter View Post
I have a dilemma. I applied for a position as an interal transfer (with the approval of my supervisor). This is a position that I am very qualified for and have been doing part of the job already for more than a year. I was told by the hiring manager that she wanted someone like me up there, but that my immediate supervisor was undecided about letting me go. (but she did sign off on the request after I was told that) I was advised that the hiring manager would be interviewing many candidates. They are now scheduling the final interview for the leading candidate (I have access to my boss' and the hiring manager's calendar) but have not yet interviewed me. For that matter, they have not even spoken to me further about it.

Our policy states that the company encourages transfers within the organization. I have met every requirement to qualify for this transfer. My question is, do I have any recourse with my company if they choose an external candidate over a qualified internal candidate? Especially since they did not even give me the courtesy of an interview?

I am unsure of how to handle this, as being rejected for a position I am well-qualified for because my boss doesn't want to lose me in the position I am in, doesn't seem appropriate or fair. Any advice would be welcome!!
I don't think you have any recourse but it is too soon to think about recourse - you need to think about "course" - what you can do now.

Talk to the hiring manager and ask him if he plans on hiring you. He may have a very good reason - maybe you aren't as qualified as you think. Maybe you make too much money. Maybe your current boss really doesn't want you to leave even though he signed off on letting you go if you want. Maybe there are diversity considerations that you can not meet.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:17 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,400 times
Quote:

No offense but maybe they found someone better qualified. I would inquire about another interview but you have no recourse. What in the world do you think you would be able to do?

I guess you could quit.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:15 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
A company that encourages internal transfers is not the same thing as a company that guarantees them to qualified employees. Unless someone actually offered the position to you it was a mistake on your part to assume it was yours for the taking.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:

Loo at your companies policy on any rerview i that situation. Regardless they have th right unless othersie restricted as to who they decide is best match.Many times just fill a position until its filled means little on final choice.If they want change then its likely they will go external as internal is often not the path to that.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:42 PM

531 posts, read 1,177,350 times
The Policy "Encourages" transfer within the organization but it doesn't mean they cannot choose an external candidate over a qualified internal candidate.

You do not have any recourss if they choose an external candidate. They may think the external candidate is more qualified or some other reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search