Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:46 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,610,857 times

Advertisements

Make sure you have something to write a thank you note with immediately after the interview with. I have recently had people suggest handing thank you notes to receptionists...I don't know if that's a tad overboard but at least getting it in the mail right after the interview (there should be a drop box in front of the office probably) is a great bet.

Take some deep breathes. It the job is meant to be its meant to be. Especially with interviews where I feel intimidate or especially excited about the company I tend to get a bit nervous and ramble. If you have a nervous habit like that just be aware of that habit. The interviewer will know that you're nervous.

I also saw someone suggest over dressing. I don't know how appropriate that is. You want to look good but you also want to match the company culture. If you've researched the company you should know how they dress and how the are on a normal basis. (This might be coming from my non-profit casual background as opposed to business background), If they are business casual go in nice pants and a top. If they're business go business. But if it is business casual and you go in business (3 piece suit) you look like you don't know how the company runs and you didn't do your research.

And yes, always have questions. It also looks like you didn't do your research if you don't have questions. You're also interviewing them to see they're a good match for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 09:11 PM

550 posts, read 1,352,016 times
I've never interviewed anyone but I have attended job fairs for my company. Personality was the most memorable thing. How well they spoke, body language, conviction in what they were saying, and chemistry with the interviewer.

Stay calm and relax. Let your passion show. If it is a panel interview, do your best to not get intimidated.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:51 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,512,049 times
Assuming the candidate has the nuts and bolts qualifications, it's good (if possible) to allow the interviewer to "like" you, think you're a good fit.
I have a personal test for people - independent of employment situations - just for people in general. I ask myself "Would I want this person for a next door neighbor?", "Would I want this person to marry my [sister, brother]?" They can be rich, poor, black, white, old, young, smart, simple, anything, but questions like those mean a lot more than anything else.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:51 PM

382 posts, read 1,917,754 times
I always get very nervous during interview. I think it is my biggest issue. Any tips on how to control this? Thanks

Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,512,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessit771 View Post
I always get very nervous during interview. I think it is my biggest issue. Any tips on how to control this? Thanks
Do you get nervous or have anxiety often, say more than what your colleagues and friends do? Or, is it pretty much only interviews? What about public speaking? Dentist visits? There are medicines available.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:58 PM

382 posts, read 1,917,754 times
No

Old 02-26-2011, 05:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,874,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I also saw someone suggest over dressing. I don't know how appropriate that is. You want to look good but you also want to match the company culture. If you've researched the company you should know how they dress and how the are on a normal basis. (This might be coming from my non-profit casual background as opposed to business background), If they are business casual go in nice pants and a top. If they're business go business. But if it is business casual and you go in business (3 piece suit) you look like you don't know how the company runs and you didn't do your research.
I couldn't disagree more!!! Unless the interviewer SPECIFICALLY told you it was a business casual culture and to feel free to wear business casual attire, wear a suit. Period. And even if they told you to wear business casual, you wear chino's, a button down oxford shirt, and a sport coat.

By the way, nobody wears 3-pc suits these days. The vest look is pretty well out, and you'd look more than a little ridiculous wearing a suit taht out dated.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:09 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,874,587 times
Quote:
I keep a pen in my hand and use it as a makeshift stress ball when I am in tense situations. Because you should probably have a pen with you anyhow, it doesn't look out of place.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:27 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,624,531 times
You may get an oddball question about what you do with your free time. So hopefully you will like something that requires skill and includes other people... of course gel-shots contests wouldn't be the right answer..

Don't say "golf" unless you can really play b/c you are likely to be asked to play if you are hired at some company event. Oh, and of course one very good reason for wanting to move to Dallas is that you really love the Rangers and the Dallas Cowboys and the Mavericks.

Those are BFOQ's here in DFW. (Bona fide Occupational Requirements )

Old 02-26-2011, 08:57 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,667,711 times
Quote:
Thank you so much! Looks like this website has everything for interview preparation. Or should I research more?
Make sure you also do some research on the company that you are interviewing with. Look up their website or any other articles or info on the company that may be available. When I have interviewed candidates in the past, one question I always ask is, "Why do you want to work here?" If they just say because they want a job or give some vague, generic answer it is not that impressive. But if they provide an answer which demonstrates that they know something about the company, and use that knowledge to say why they want to work there, that stands out in a positive way.

Quote:
P.S. Just adding that the job interview I was called for is 900 miles away from where I live and I am flying.
Make sure that you speak with whoever made your travel arrangements and ask them who you should contact in the event that there is a flight delay. Chances are, someone will check your flight status. But if you flight is delayed getting out (or your flight is delayed en route), and it looks like you may arrive late for your interview as a result, it is better to be proactive to be the one who calls and lets them know the situation (as opposed to showing up late and then just saying, once you get there, that there were flight delays).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search