Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 PM

382 posts, read 1,921,720 times

Advertisements

After two years of being unemployed, I was called for my dream job interview. This is for the position at airport authority. I applied few months ago and when HR department reviewed my application they placed me on eligeble list and told me that the hiring department will pick candidates they want to interview and department will contact for interview invitations. Well, the aviation department invited me for the interview! I am very nervous.

-How many candidates do you think I am competing against?
-any tips on how to impress and ace would be appreciated!!!!

The hiring process for the department is as follows:
1. HR reviews and places on elogeble list or declines.
2. The eligeble lost is sent to hiring manager.
3. The hiring manager chooses and invites qualified candiadates.
4. Interview with hiring department.
5. Background check.
6. Drug test.
7. Hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 10:24 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
I'm not sure where you are located, but here in Texas they have the Texas Workforce Commission offices all over the state which handle unemployment, retraining, etc. They also do mock interviews. I went to them for a mock interview since I haven't interviewed in over a decade (my company has been laying off folks so I started sending out resmes). The staff grilled me good, and told me ways to improve since my communication isn't all that great. If you can find an organization that provides this service I highly recommend it. Also check local colleges and universities since their placement offices often provide mock interview services. Best of luck to ya!!!

Old 02-25-2011, 12:30 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
No one can possibly know how many candidates you will be competing against.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
For one position I doubt they would interview more than a dozen people, our most recent opening we interviewed 10. Some advice that would have helped some of our candidates:

1. Be on time, better to get there early and sit in the car than be even 5 minutes late
2. If asked why you are the best candidate for the job, be prepared to answer. If you feel like you may lack some of the required skills, build yourself up by talking about your work ethic, attitude, and enthusiasm for the job.
3. Interviewers know people are nervous, but you can minimize the effects by trying to just relax.
4. Better to have a slight pause to think before answering a question or to ask for them to repeat than to answer with something that doesn't really address the question.

Good luck!

Old 02-25-2011, 06:26 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,795 times
To prepare: Write down every possible question you think they can ask you, write these on strips of paper. Put them in a jar and randmomly pick them out of the jar and simulate being asked these questions.

Be prepared for a structured interview (find out if this is the case). You will be asked open ended questions such as " Describe a time when doing the right thing on the job presented you with insurmountable obstacles." Come up with a bunch of candidate situations that you will have pre-populated in your head so you don't have to think of them on the spot. Respond with a structured answer that follws STAR: Situation, Tasks, Actions, Results.

A lot of times an interview will start with "Tell us about yourself" to break the ice. Don't say anything personal. Basically three or four sentences about degree and experience and strengths.

If you really want the job, do this. After the interview is over and you've thanked them. Look at the interviewers in the eyes with a serious expression and say "I REALLY want this job." That will make an impression they won't forget.

Behavioral Interview Question Database

Old 02-25-2011, 08:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Be prepared for off-the-wall questions, or very subjective questions.

Overall I'm not a big fan of questions like "How many jellybeans would it take to fill this room?" or "I have three slices of pizza and five hungry coworkers, who do I give the pizza to?" but you still have to be prepared for them. It's not so much the answer, but how you respond that they are looking at.

That said, I do ask questions like, "How do you handle stress?" or, "What is your biggest weakness," or, "Tell me about a time where you overcame a challenge that was affecting your employer's profitability." I think you need to think about answers to these types of questions so you'll be prepared. There are a couple of books you might look for. I don't know the actual titles, but they offer tough interview questions and how to answer them and might give you some good hints.

I'd also suggest you mentally prepare something "nuetral" to add if you are asked about your hobbies or interests. That's a good place to add how any volunteer work my be relevent to the position you are interviewing for.

I look for energy (but not hyperactivity) and positive attitudes. I look for people who engage me and want to make me listen to what they have to say. Look the interviewer in the eyes, and smile, smile, smile!

Good luck!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:43 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
Dress better than everyone else. Wear a suit with a tie, but don't choose any crazy colors.

Do your best to stay calm and not seem overly desperate. Sit still in your chair (comfortably) and don't shake your legs or hands like people often do when nervous or bored.

Try to imagine questions you will be asked so you will not be surprised, but don't rehearse answers too much because you'll sound robotic during the interview. Be prepared to explain any terminations or unemployment dates.

Don't be afraid to promote yourself and your accomplishments. If they ask you about any problem areas, give them an example of something you would like to do better, but don't over do it! Give out examples that aren't really related to the job tasks so they are rendered obsolete.

Have one or two questions for the end to show you are interested. If they answer your question before you can ask it, tell them they already answered your main questions about "blah blah".

Be early and talk to anyone who walks through the room prior to the interview. A simple "good morning" or "hello" may result in that person giving a good impression of you before you enter.

Don't be afraid to smile or joke around a bit if the interviewer seems open to it. It will show that you are an ordinary guy that he/she would be interested in working with. I interviewed with a federal law enforcement agency not too long ago, and we were joking around about the city we live in and talking about our families by the time it was over. He told me right there that I was being recommended for the next step.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Don't be afraid to smile or joke around a bit if the interviewer seems open to it. It will show that you are an ordinary guy that he/she would be interested in working with.
I agree with this. I like to see that someone has a sense of humor. but be careful that your jokes are G-rated and not anything that could be construed as sarcastic. My second interviews are almost always relaxed and more a conversation than anything. I like to see the persons personality come out, how they conduct themselves in a business social environment. (When it's a position that will ahve heavy customer contact)

I had someone blow it during this phase about eight months ago by joking about something that had racist undertones. Totally inappropriate, and it lost him the job offer I was planning on making.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:10 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Some personal issues to keep your image neutral/positive: Use a non-slimy hand cream before you go in and blend it well into your hands, have a tissue in your pocket if you need it, be sure to clip nasal and ear hairs and any long stringy eyebrows, leave your cell phone in the car; bring a type written list of references; take a breath mint before the interview; shine your shoes and make sure your shoes are in good condition.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:15 AM

382 posts, read 1,921,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
To prepare: Write down every possible question you think they can ask you, write these on strips of paper. Put them in a jar and randmomly pick them out of the jar and simulate being asked these questions.

Be prepared for a structured interview (find out if this is the case). You will be asked open ended questions such as " Describe a time when doing the right thing on the job presented you with insurmountable obstacles." Come up with a bunch of candidate situations that you will have pre-populated in your head so you don't have to think of them on the spot. Respond with a structured answer that follws STAR: Situation, Tasks, Actions, Results.

A lot of times an interview will start with "Tell us about yourself" to break the ice. Don't say anything personal. Basically three or four sentences about degree and experience and strengths.

If you really want the job, do this. After the interview is over and you've thanked them. Look at the interviewers in the eyes with a serious expression and say "I REALLY want this job." That will make an impression they won't forget.

Behavioral Interview Question Database

Thank you so much! Looks like this website has everything for interview preparation. Or should I research more?

This is what my plan is (and I still have 9 days to prepare):

1. Study:
2. Study company
3. Since I have a gap in my profession: review what I studied in college (information relevant to position.)

That's all I have so for. What do you guys think? Any more tips are appreciated.

Thank you.

P.S. Just adding that the job interview I was called for is 900 miles away from where I live and I am flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search