Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 07:39 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
When hiring managers and supervisors behave in unprofessional, unfair, unethical, or illegal ways it needs to be reported: I'm sick and tired of abused people (victims) walking on eggshells and coddling the feelings of these hyper-sensitive corporate nitwits.
But who can the abused people report them to?

There's nothing illegal about being unprofessional, unfair and unethical.

The hiring manager are EXACTLY those things because they know they can get away with it and they don't have to answer for it.

I consider people like that to be quite narcissistic and sadistic, as no one should want to abuse other people (be it psychologically or physically) and feel apathetic about it, but they really don't give a **** if they're sadistic and narcissistic because they have the power.

Last edited by 313Weather; 05-16-2012 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 07:49 AM

21 posts, read 26,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Paragraphs bro, paragraphs....

it is one paragraph haha

Old 05-16-2012, 08:52 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,157 times
I had an interview set up by ITT-Tech for a drafter/ designer position. I get there and they sat me infront of the computer, which had the Auto-CAD which was two or three versions newer than what I had worker with, then the guy hands me a zip tie and a calipers and tells me he wanted me to draw it in 3-D, which I never did in Auto-CAD, in 15 minutes. Well the time came and passed and he came back and told me thanks for coming in.

The other one was, I got a call from a manufacturer who was looking for a drafter near Detroit, I live in the West side of Michigan. They told me that they would pay milage, it was about a four hour round trip, and that they were really excited to meet with me. So I get there they show me around the building introduce me to everyone, give me a test, said it looked pretty good, started talking about the neighborhoods in the area, spent the entire day with them. They told me to look for a letter in the mail letting me know. So I waited for a week or so called them back a couple of times and finally got a hold of some one and it took him about ten minutes to tell me that I didn't get the job etc... and they never payed me my milage

Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 PM

21 posts, read 26,721 times
so what is your biggest weakness? While a manager for ten years I found that sometimes when I held interviews I tended to hire people that had well thought out scripted answers to my questions only later to find out that these people cost me thousands of dollars to train and normally left after a couple years. Later I found that when I hired people that had great resumes but interviewed without scripted answered I found that those people not only came in on day one ready to learn but also those people have been promoted while the others were fired

Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,897 times
I was looking for my first professional job after college. A recruiter set up an interview for me that was to be an Office Manager position, which included being at the reception desk.

When I got to the interview, the first question the interviewer asked me was if I was OK with the bike messenger component of the job as it turned out the job was 50% office manager/front desk (so nice clothes) and 50% bike messenger! I told her that I did not realize there was a bike messenger piece to the job and that it was not something I was looking for.

The interviewer was nice about it and we stopped the interview. However, later I got a call from the recruiter saying that I should have said that I was interested and I should always say that I will give 110%!

Old 06-09-2012, 03:17 AM

22 posts, read 62,071 times
My first job interview was horrible.

It was for an experienced role, I was interviewed by two females and I felt quite teamed up on by them. Thats probably standard procedure to see how a interviewee handles pressure. But then one of them said "oh your obviously really nervous, have you had any experience in public speaking?"

I thought the interview was going good till they dropped that line. I told them about my experience performing in front of groups of people. But they just looked at me like that wasn't good enough experience.

Haha. Luckily I have gotten better at interviews since then. And, all the other interviews I have gone too since have always been with three people, with both male and female. I much prefer a mixed pannel with three people when it comes to interviews now, needles to say.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:16 PM

32 posts, read 61,104 times
Lots of horror stories on here! I haven't had anything too bad, but once I interviewed for a recruiting position. The woman interviewing me basically blathered on about the rigors of the job and barely asked me a question. Then the head guy "just happened" to be in the office that day and wanted to speak to me. The main lady stepped out, and I waited 30 minutes for the guy alone in the conference room watching snow fall out the window. Then the guy was very terse and checked his phone the whole time. He told me thanks, shook my hand and walked out. I waited for interviewer number one to step back in and chat for a minute, which has been my experience in the past when I interview with more than 1 person at a time. Nothing. She never came back. After sitting there idiotically for 5 minutes I got up and walked out. I thought that was very rude of her. I followed up with a thank you email but never heard back. I had some connections with the company so I asked someone to find out why they didn't hire me. It was because I didn't call the next day and basically beg them to give me a job. A simple thank you was not appreciated, they wanted unbridled aggression!!! Give me a break!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:33 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I still break out in a sweat thinking about this one.

I was young, inexperienced and not sure what I wanted to be or do so I answered an ad in the Sacramento Bee (this was 40 years ago) for a "Financial Account Executive". It sounded like an cool job where I could wear a suit and tie and impress people. "What kind of salary?" I wondered; certainly six figures for such an awesome sounding job as "Financial Account Executive".

I had been very sick for several weeks prior. Walking pneumonia and it was horrible. Never been so sick anytime in life before or since.

So I get called for an interview when I found out it's trying to collect payments for Household Finance Corporation. Worse yet pay was fifty cents above minimum wage but I needed the job.

So I show up and they give me a Mickey Mouse test after which I sit down for the actual interview. I started coughing heavily. Could not stop. Vomiting in public, dry heaves, bathroom... from here it was all downhill.

I wasn't offered a job, it probably had something to do with the public vomit, which was a good thing that happened to me.
I do not mean to laugh but I just can't help it. This one made me laugh, hard. You poor thing.

What makes me laugh is not that you were that sick but just imagining their faces and the thoughts going through their heads as you puked and dry heaved in front of them. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Fricken hilarious!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
outright hostile and mocking during the interview. got the rejection letter 1 week later.
then 1 month later a letter saying to come to work.
was there 7.5 years a great career and stepping stone to another.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:08 PM

460 posts, read 1,139,997 times
Huckleberry - the city data hikuist :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search