Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,526,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_earth View Post
You are completely wrong....this place is also casual, I can also smoke when I want, I just don't feel like I fit in. AND I COMPLETELY DESPISE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND PHONES!

I wanted the other job because there is room to grow and get promoted, actually make a career out of it, this one I'm at now is very small and I'd be a CSR for life. I'm looking for something else regardless if I get the legal job or not. It's good for now, grateful I am getting paid a decent amount, it could be worse. But no way am I staying.
I read your posts. I have never seen anyone so concerned about smoking at work.

Regardless of where you work that is frowned upon by others, other coworkers get tired and resentful of seeing the "smokers" taking several breaks during the day.

I worked in an office in CA(where not so many people smoke) and we had two smokers who were known as the "palace guards" as they were always outside on a cigarette break.

No one is telling you not to look for a better job, but you come on here saying how you're a single mom and your UE benefits are ending and you're running out of money.

You land a job that you said pays more than the job you get laid off from and you whine about it.

It is totally unfair of you to say you hate a job after one day.

If you find you really dislike it, then that is your motivation to find something better.

But considering your situation be grateful you landed this when you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,116 times
I actually had a question about my own situation, though I don't know if anyone will reply since this post is a little dated...so here's hopping!

Anyways, so here's my situation: I recently interviewed at a place in my field (psychology). It was okay, not really what I was hoping for in a job, and it'd be very stressful on me. Plus I'd have to commute an hour to work (each way). But at the time that was the only option on the table, so I went in for their second interview which was a trial shift to see if it was something I would like. It wasn't terrible, and I talked with the hiring manager afterwards, and she says she's just waiting to hear from my references and my background checks before proceeding, but that it could take upwards of a week. So the next day I interviewed for my dream job! I loved the company, the job, the people, everything about it--plus they offered me the job, and I'd only have a 20 minute commute. I verbally accepted and now just waiting for the paper work to come, the official job offer etc. I want to tell the other job that I'm no longer interested, but don't know exactly how to, plus I don't think I should do it before getting the formal offer from the other company...? I dunno. I just don't want to burn bridges. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:11 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,526,602 times
Say nothing to the first job until you have an official offer with a letter in hand from the second company.

Even if you started with the first company(which you haven't) there would be nothing wrong with explaining that another company with a much easier commute offered you a job.

But say nothing until you have an official offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search