Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:56 AM

49 posts, read 188,906 times

Advertisements

Hi, I usually post in the UE forum so I haven't posted much in here. My benefits expired entirely a few weeks ago so I'm living off the rest of my tax refund....

After about a month of delayed interviews (a few cancellations and changing times), I got a job offer from a company, they are offering a decent salary, a bit more than my old one. It's not really what I want to do AT ALL (customer service - not retail, but in an office for a distribution company, business to business). The people seem really nice, but I really hate doing customer service. It makes my blood boil, really.

Last week, while I was waiting for a date for my final interview, a friend of mine called and said I should I send my resume over to where she works, they have some positions open. I would LOVE to work there, I know I would love the job, it's for a legal office and it's all doing computer work/data entry, paperwork, etc. Exactly what I love to do. So I sent my resume.

So, a few days ago I had the final interview with the other company, and they offered me the job. That SAME day, the company where my friend works emailed me and asked me to come in for an interview this week (tomorrow). I really think I will like this one better, but I am not sure if they will offer the same salary. The problem is, I already verbally accepted the other position. I just need to go through a background/credit check, take drug test, and wait for the managers to come back from vacation before I can start. Well, I CAN'T WAIT! I am almost down to no income whatsoever and I have a kid....I can't wait around for people on vacation Also if they are really going by a credit check, mine isn't so great so I might not end up with the job after all.

Anyway, I am just a little stressed and feeling uncertain....if I get this job offer this week from the company where my friends work and I can start sooner but the pay is lower, would you take it or wait for the other company with more money for a job you will probably end up hating that you might not get anyway if your credit history isn't great? Do you think I should bring up in the interview tomorrow, that I have another offer, but I am interested in this position more, and ask them for the same amount of money? I don't want to put pressure on them.....

Also, if I take this other job, how bad is it to tell the other company I changed my mind and take back my acceptance?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 09:01 AM

53 posts, read 229,238 times
I would take the job that would fulfill you despite the lower income. Income doesn't make one happy. I would much rather make, say, 32k a year doing what I love than 50k in a miserable, soul-sucking job.

You are happier physically and mentally, not to mention spiritually in a place you like. Unless you have signed tendered work documents, you are not really obliged to accept the first job. There is no moral wrong in taking the second job should you want it.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:04 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Well--I'm happy to hear that things are looking up for you.

Quote:
Do you think I should bring up in the interview tomorrow, that I have another offer, but I am interested in this position more, and ask them for the same amount of money? I don't want to put pressure on them.....
No. It couldn't hurt to tell them that you have another offer but would prefer to work for them instead, but don't ask for the same amount of money.

The second job sounds like it would be a better fit for you even if the money isn't as good. It's hard enough being a single parent without coming home every night stressed out because you hate what you're doing.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:21 AM

Well I don't have second job offer yet, but interview is tomorrow, and the more I think about it, I think it will be the better choice overall if I get an offer.

This second job has unlimited overtime - you can stay late to finish your work, get paid hourly so that's extra money. You can eat lunch at your desk while you work and get paid for it. I know 3 people that work there that I see almost every weekend, so I already have friends and two of them to talk to on smoke break (just a little perk lol). They get paid holidays as soon as you start - paid time off right away, prorated as to what quarter you start. There is room to grow, other departments to go into. My friend who just started in January already got moved to another department because she was doing so well. Benefits after 90 days. Plus, legal experience is a pretty good thing to gain for the admin/office field.

The first job they don't get over time, barely ever they say. You only get a half hour lunch, and you have to clock out for it. There is no kitchen or break room. Everyone eats at their desk or in their car. It's just a distribution branch of a bigger manufacturing company, the branch itself is somewhat small and there is really no room to grow. I'd be stuck in Customer Service there, which I already mentioned I hate. Another thing with this company - they are actually replacing someone that they intend to fire. They are being really sneaky about everything. It all makes me question if they make the best hiring decisions - this person isn't working out, and obviously they have no clue that I DESPISE customer service.

So, I am praying I get an offer tomorrow and I can start sooner than the other job. I'm sure I won't get too low balled - I've heard what others make there and it's really not bad, they go by individual experience. Please God please let me get this one....

Old 03-09-2011, 10:24 AM

53 posts, read 229,238 times
new_earth,

I will pray you get the second job. It sounds like you have answered your own question

Godspeed...

Old 03-09-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iljcvm View Post
new_earth,

I will pray you get the second job. It sounds like you have answered your own question

Godspeed...

Thank you! And I think you are right. I will definitely post back tomorrow with the results.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:00 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
I would keep that 2nd job interview with the 2nd job. You may absolutely love the job, and if that's the case, the BALL is in your court !

Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 AM

Just got back from the interview! The company and the job sound AMAZING. Unbelievable! I will most likely have to take a pay cut, as opposed to raise like the other job, but there is so much room to move around and grow unlike the other place.

The benefits of the company are sooooo great. You can work overtime for extra money, there is always work to be done, you can come in on Saturdays (its all voluntary, not mandatory), work through lunches, plus the benefits are CHEAP CHEAP (company pays a big portion) - it all adds up in the end! CASUAL dress (in a law office too!). You can smoke whenever you want, however many times you want, you just have to clock out for those few minutes. You get paid for whatever time you are on the clock.

Just computer work, paperwork, typing, filing, no crazy customers. So, I'm just waiting for a salary offer. I might hear something between now and Monday but definitely by next Thursday, and could start immediately. Please god please. I don't want to be stuck in customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:46 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_earth View Post
Just got back from the interview! The company and the job sound AMAZING. Unbelievable! I will most likely have to take a pay cut, as opposed to raise like the other job, but there is so much room to move around and grow unlike the other place.

The benefits of the company are sooooo great. You can work overtime for extra money, there is always work to be done, you can come in on Saturdays (its all voluntary, not mandatory), work through lunches, plus the benefits are CHEAP CHEAP (company pays a big portion) - it all adds up in the end! CASUAL dress (in a law office too!). You can smoke whenever you want, however many times you want, you just have to clock out for those few minutes. You get paid for whatever time you are on the clock.

Just computer work, paperwork, typing, filing, no crazy customers. So, I'm just waiting for a salary offer. I might hear something between now and Monday but definitely by next Thursday, and could start immediately. Please god please. I don't want to be stuck in customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have your head in the right place. Best of luck. Sensible decision making with a little bit of risk goes a long way in the long run.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:45 AM

30 posts, read 45,747 times
Good Luck, New_Earth. I will pray for you to get the job you love Post here when you hear from the 2nd company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search