Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:56 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,991,864 times

Advertisements

I scan Craigslist daily for jobs under "general labor" and "manufacturing". It's shocking how many potential employers will not offer the name of the company or any direct contact information. One I just looked at said nothing other than a brief job description and a link to an online application that was linked to something called Job Resources Recruiting.

Why all the mystery? These ads always leave me a bit skeptical. Why won't a company be up front and say who they are? Do they lose face or something by posting on Craigslist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 10:58 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,488 times
Why are you wasting your time looking on Craigslist for jobs? Most if not all of those jobs on there are scams.

Look on Indeed.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,991,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Why are you wasting your time looking on Craigslist for jobs? Most if not all of those jobs on there are scams.

Look on Indeed.
Looking for jobs anywhere is a waste of time but I keep looking.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:15 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,969 times
A lot of jobs are scams on Craigslist. It surprises me how many times this topic is brought up here. There are legitimate jobs to be found on CL but you must be careful. Its pretty easy to find the scams.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:37 PM

386 posts, read 1,052,403 times
I've applied to a lot of jobs on CL and so far no scams. Ineed IMO is a waste of time as the jobs are outdated and never updated or taken down. I guess in a sense that is true of any job board, but for those of us without any kind of job, we will grasp at straws and keep plugging away, scam or no scam.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:32 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,789 times
Main thing to watch for on CL is if you get a response asking you to go to some other website, those are usually scams.

As I've mentioned before, smaller companies sometimes won't give contact info for fear of getting so many calls/visitors that it could interfere with their business.

I've had okay results with both CL and Indeed. The only one I've found to be a complete waste of time is Monster.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:05 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,959 times
There are "mysterious" employers not just on Craigslist but on many other sites too. Same thing in the newspaper print ads. They provide no contact name or anonymous emails on yahoo, aol or gmail, so you can't trace the company info. In this economy, you literally have to try to get blood from a stone so you absolutely must answer all ads if you think you're a good fit for the job, regardless of the type of email they've listed. Of course if you even have a quarter of a brain, you should not provide your social number, credit report without an interview, or even home address on any online ad responses.Online applications of legitimate employers who can be traced and verified is another story for another thread.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:37 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
There are "mysterious" employers not just on Craigslist but on many other sites too. Same thing in the newspaper print ads. They provide no contact name or anonymous emails on yahoo, aol or gmail, so you can't trace the company info. In this economy, you literally have to try to get blood from a stone so you absolutely must answer all ads if you think you're a good fit for the job, regardless of the type of email they've listed. Of course if you even have a quarter of a brain, you should not provide your social number, credit report without an interview, or even home address on any online ad responses.Online applications of legitimate employers who can be traced and verified is another story for another thread.
Yup, scams abound. I spent hours on Indeed today looking for legitimate work and found nothing today. There's a new scammer out posting bogus jobs, they actually have gotten smarter, they take real jobs specs instead of what they used to list with poor english...easy to spot and list receptionist jobs for 18-20 an hour...scam, in my area a receptionist would be lucky to get 8-9 an hour.

There are so many scams, data mining etc on these job boards anymore it takes hours every day to wade through them just trying to find a "real" job to even apply to.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:02 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
...There are so many scams, data mining etc on these job boards anymore it takes hours every day to wade through them just trying to find a "real" job to even apply to.
That's why I ignore Indeed, Monster, Careerbuilder, and the rest, for the most party. I find company websites and apply that way. If I see a link or email to a company website, I apply directly at the website, not the job board. Once the hours of wading through the crap are lost, you can't get them back. That's irreplaceable time. The internet has become a wall that keeps the applicants out, not gets them in. It's used to brainwash us to waste our time applying at home, while the real jobs are gotten by nepotism, cronyism, networking and probably just walking into the place and being aggressive. The internet is a smokescreen. Time to pound the pavement the old fashioned way.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
That's why I ignore Indeed, Monster, Careerbuilder, and the rest, for the most party. I find company websites and apply that way. If I see a link or email to a company website, I apply directly at the website, not the job board. Once the hours of wading through the crap are lost, you can't get them back. That's irreplaceable time. The internet has become a wall that keeps the applicants out, not gets them in. It's used to brainwash us to waste our time applying at home, while the real jobs are gotten by nepotism, cronyism, networking and probably just walking into the place and being aggressive. The internet is a smokescreen. Time to pound the pavement the old fashioned way.
I tried pounding the pavement after I got my phlebotmist certification and not one hospital, lab and even the red cross would take it, they all said I must apply online at their website, wern't even courteous about it.

Since I live rural, "pounding the pavement" consists of driving mega miles just to one place and I no long have bucks for gas $$$ to do it. So online is my only option, I do follow up with emails and phone calls.

I have nothing but time to look for work and I spend 8 hours a day or more following leads, checking company websites, and yes wading through indeed.

I did go to McD's to apply but of course, they aren't hiring in my area none of those 50,000 jobs made it to my neck of the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search