Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:01 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,546 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I was laid off 6 months ago and have been on unemployment. In the meantime, I have been going to school at night to gain skills for a new career. I have been looking for an entry level job in my new field. (Since I go to school at night, I can work during the day.)

I interviewed at a company that seemed like exactly what I was looking for. We discussed part time at 30 hours a week. Based on that I asked for $8-$14/hour.

The offer came in today. Part time, only 20 hours a week
(not guaranteed) and at $8/hour. So that was dumb of me to put the $8 out there - I didn't consider that his part-time offer might be less than the 30 we talked about.

Problem is that if I take this job it will be $160/week and on unemployment I collect $183. I didn't think it possible to start working and make even less than unemployment. I asked if we could negotiate a higher hourly rate and he said no.

Other than the pay the job seems great. Close to my house, and gets me in the door at a good company in my new field. Of course, I have no idea how many hours I will work each week. Could be 10, could be 20, or 30 or 40.

Any advice for how I should handle my next conversation with him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 05:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
In some states you can work part time and still get partial UI benefits, so you could end up with more money. Check into that and if it's like that where you live, take the job. If not...well that depends on your personal situation, how tight money is for you, etc.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:25 PM

The unemplyment will pay me the difference, but only for 5 weeks. Then I am cut off :-(

My personal situation is that $8/hr @ 30 hours a week is my bottom line. Less than that I cannot pay the bills and eat in the same week.

However, I am also trying to keep in mind the opportunity. I would learn a lot working there, and there is potential for growth long-term into a management position if I put in a few years at the bottom.

I guess my preference would be to negotiate something better rather than turn it down but I don't know what to ask for. I have never worked in a part time position before and have no idea what to expect. Also, it's a small company if that makes any difference.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny AZ View Post
The unemplyment will pay me the difference, but only for 5 weeks. Then I am cut off :-(

My personal situation is that $8/hr @ 30 hours a week is my bottom line. Less than that I cannot pay the bills and eat in the same week.

However, I am also trying to keep in mind the opportunity. I would learn a lot working there, and there is potential for growth long-term into a management position if I put in a few years at the bottom.

I guess my preference would be to negotiate something better rather than turn it down but I don't know what to ask for. I have never worked in a part time position before and have no idea what to expect. Also, it's a small company if that makes any difference.
OK...how long would your unemployment last if you didn't take the position? Is it just that you have five weeks left, or is it some sort of state specific thing that they'll only pay for five weeks if you take part time work?

How tough is work to find in your area? Would it be possible for you to get another part time job to supplement the money from this one?

In a way it sounds like a good job with a possible future even though the starting pay is low.

In your next conversation you might mention that it will be tough for you to get by on only 20 hours a week and see what the response is. After all, in your initial interview, 30 hours a week was what was discussed.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:46 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
I wouldn't try to sugar coat it. Just state that your wage range was based on a minimum of 3/4-time hours, and that you simply can't accept the offer as it is structured. You might want to focus on the number of hours that is being offered, and not the wage, as that can sometimes being an easier topic to handle.

You may also want to focus on the issue of having a regular weekly schedule--if that's something that is common in this new career of yours. In some industries, it's not, but if in yours it is, you may want to emphasize that you need a reliable schedule, not 40 hours one week, ten the next, etc.

Last edited by kodaka; 03-24-2011 at 06:05 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 05:47 PM

If I don't take the job, I can stay on unemployment through 10/31. It is a state specific thing that they will only go 5 more weeks once I start working.

I don't think it's that tough to get work in my area. It's more the idea that to find another job that will take me on with no experience is hard to find. There are not that many companies in the area for this type of work, so these positions don't come along often. If I was just looking for any job that would be easier - but obviously doesn't fufill my long term goals. So if this job didn't work out, I would probably stay on unemployment until October until I am forced to take something and hope that between now and then I could find another opportunity like this.

As far as the hours, I think that he is also having a hard time figuring out how many hours. He at first on the phone thought 10 hours. Then when I went in for a meeting and we actually discussed he wants me to work on the marketing project, and the client project, etc. he realized it was a lot more work than he initially thought so that's why we discussed the 30 hours. I'm scared to turn it down, but also scared to take it because it's such a risk. No guarantees. And if I give up the unemployment, take the job, and then it doesn't work out, it's not like I can get unemployment again. sigh. double sigh.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:52 PM

@ kodaka - It's definitely a 9 to 5 office type job. So he could give me regular hours. It's just a matter if he wants to based on the potential work load/projects. He obviously doesn't feel that he has enough work for a full time job but he is busy and does need the extra help. He already has one receptionist and one admin assistant, so I would be the third person. There are other partners in the office, but they all have their own assistants.

So to answer your question, I think once I get in there and start working he will know exactly what hours he can give me. It's just hard for him to estimate now before I actually start and before he can see how productive I am. So right now that is why he keeps giving me different numbers.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Geez, $8/hour is less than our minimum wage ($8.75).

Sounds like this company is saving money by hiring part timers so they don't have to pay for any benefits and can let people go more easily if the work runs out. In other words, they may be struggling. I'd hate to see you stay long enough to lose unemployment then get let go and have to start all over.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times
I wouldn't do it. Thanks but no thanks

Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
I agree with Kodaka if he can't guarantee you the 30 hours(and it sounds like from your posts he cannot) I wouldn't take the job.

You still have several months of UE benefits left. When you're getting more on unemployment you shouldn't take the job.

Just the fact that he came in at $8 when you mentioned $8 to $14 makes me think you will find yourself with 15 hours a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search