Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:47 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Please forgive me for acting like an a** again. It is in my geans. (Yes my a** is in my geans, where else would I leave it.) And so sorry for the LOL. It is hard for me to remember when to use it. When I don't people seem to take me too seriously. LOL (Oh sorry for that.)
You have to understand that it's extremely difficult to interpret how people mean things on a forum since this is all in writing and we can't see each other's faces. If you want to be humorous, go for it. Nobody wants to be part of a dry, boring forum anyway. But make sure you clarify. When I saw your post, I initially saw it as insulting the OP's intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 03:06 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,443,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punky86 View Post
Any ideas about this? Its still blowing my mind almost 2 weeks later.
Don't make much of it. It may be a company you're interviewing for, but ultimately it's just a relationship with one or a few other people that you're riding on. One of those people could be a major a$$hole, as this woman possibly was.

Now ask yourself...do you want to work for a major a$$hole?

When things don't "work out"...sometimes that's a good thing for all involved. Next time may be different.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:23 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
You have to understand that it's extremely difficult to interpret how people mean things on a forum since this is all in writing and we can't see each other's faces. If you want to be humorous, go for it. Nobody wants to be part of a dry, boring forum anyway. But make sure you clarify. When I saw your post, I initially saw it as insulting the OP's intelligence.
Oh I know how hard it is for some people to understand if I am joking or not. Still don't you think the OP walked into it when he included so many written mistakes and he is in the writing business? I mean isn't that funny?

With someone like me with limited intelect we would expect it, but he is in the writing business. So to me it is a funny post to read, meaning his post.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:51 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Oh I know how hard it is for some people to understand if I am joking or not. Still don't you think the OP walked into it when he included so many written mistakes and he is in the writing business? I mean isn't that funny?

With someone like me with limited intelect we would expect it, but he is in the writing business. So to me it is a funny post to read, meaning his post.
Yes, I get what you're saying, but I've learned that on C-D, it's important to choose your battles wisely. You never know when someone you've insulted might be of help to you later. If the OP were the type to come on here regularly and arrogantly boast about how superior she is to everyone else, then it might be fun to poke a little fun at her. But since I don't know much about the OP's style, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:03 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,693,803 times
That is crazy! I am always early to interviews and work....and that crack about not brushing her teeth yet, I would think she would have done that prior to arriving at the office. I don't think you would have wanted to work for that crazy person

Old 04-20-2011, 04:15 PM

296 posts, read 542,739 times
WTF? That was strange!

Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,898,095 times
Upshot is I think you caught this person on a bad day. Unfortunately, that kind of thing plays a big role in the hiring process. There's not a lot you can do except move on to the next opportunity.

I agree, she probably took your 'of course' comment to be a rude retort rather than the spirit with which you intended.

I don't know why it's such a big deal for the receptionist to tell a visitor to have a seat and wait until your appointment time, when you've arrived early but apparently it is. And I don't know why employers take it as a bad sign that someone arrives early, but they do. So the best thing to do is cool your heels in a coffee shop or in your car.

Best of luck next time.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
I always felt that showing up 5-10 mins early would be considered LATE. I figured that 20-25 would be on time.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:43 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-BG View Post
Surely you can't be serious. What was he supposed to do, not give notice to his current employer.

Toss this place up to working with idiots and be grateful you were not offered the job. Sounds like they are fos and would have you jumping through hoops. Don't sell yourself short.
Clearly you didn't understand my post.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:55 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,219 times
Wooow.

I agree with what nick said.

Who does not like an early employee/applicant?

They would have hated me. Sometimes, I come before the department even opens. That being, if they want to interview me at 8Am, I come at 7:30 just to make sure I have the right place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search