Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:07 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,635,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker123 View Post
Thanks for your reply....I think you hit the nail on the head.....It is very possible to get away with it....also possible I get caught....Truthfully this is a lie that I dont think will turn into another....I think certain lie's are downright treacherous to make....i.e. making up education, making up a job you never had etc....this one doesnt highlight an experience I dont have or a job i didnt do...I am just extending the dates bc in this marketplace I cant get a job...and whats more risky then getting caught? Not eating
But honestly-- the lie does highlight experience you do not have.

I am new in my role and this section of my career. I have been in my new role for almost 9 months. If I added on an additional 1.5-2 years-- it is lying about my experience and in my view much like making up a job. Partly because it is assumed unless you are in very low skilled work that over time you increase your responsibilities as you grow into a role with more tenure.

I have never done the exact same job that I was hired for after 1 year, 2 years, 3 years. My roles always grew with me even if the title did not. It is the concept of being a newbie, being trained, being competent, being the new mentor, the new trainer, the most senior, etc etc.

As I said in my previous post-- it may not be the gap-- but more along the lines of the expected amount of tenure and competence done at a job over time.

A nurse with 2 years experience is not as seasoned as a nurse with 5-7 years experience.

A developer who slings code for 1 year or 3 years is not as seasoned as another developer who has been coding for over 5 years and has more than likely seen, experienced more differences in that time period.

If your niche in your area is small-- people tend to remember those who inflate experiences and you would be walking a thin line of constantly trying to hide that lie potentially. I know that exists in my world and I would not want that excess stress to carry me over.

Personally, I would reformat my resume to emphasis skill sets, and to detract from the hard fast timeline of experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:15 AM

36 posts, read 306,610 times
Love the drums.....very insightful I really appreciate you taking the time to write that.....just the kind of info I was looking for...

Truth is though the more people I talk to the more I realize how common this is.... I spoke to several people who ended up getting away with it....of course yes it could come back to haunt them if the company ever does another background check...but thats unlikely....Current employers arent contacted...and there is no public data which capture salary information or whether or not you went without being paid...thats pretty specific under FACR....

Old 04-24-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
But honestly-- the lie does highlight experience you do not have.

I am new in my role and this section of my career. I have been in my new role for almost 9 months. If I added on an additional 1.5-2 years-- it is lying about my experience and in my view much like making up a job. Partly because it is assumed unless you are in very low skilled work that over time you increase your responsibilities as you grow into a role with more tenure.

I have never done the exact same job that I was hired for after 1 year, 2 years, 3 years. My roles always grew with me even if the title did not. It is the concept of being a newbie, being trained, being competent, being the new mentor, the new trainer, the most senior, etc etc.

As I said in my previous post-- it may not be the gap-- but more along the lines of the expected amount of tenure and competence done at a job over time.

A nurse with 2 years experience is not as seasoned as a nurse with 5-7 years experience.

A developer who slings code for 1 year or 3 years is not as seasoned as another developer who has been coding for over 5 years and has more than likely seen, experienced more differences in that time period.

If your niche in your area is small-- people tend to remember those who inflate experiences and you would be walking a thin line of constantly trying to hide that lie potentially. I know that exists in my world and I would not want that excess stress to carry me over.

Personally, I would reformat my resume to emphasis skill sets, and to detract from the hard fast timeline of experience.
Yes I agree completely....expecially as it relates to say a nurse..... But I have 10 years sales experience....there isnt much of a difference in what I would have learned in two years....I have solid experience in forming relationships and selling....I am not in a position where knowing things like regulatory accounting, which are always changing, is an issue....

But all of the things you are saying are true...and in an ideal world I woudlnt have to do this...but like I said - its certainly risky to alter your resume but its riskier to not eat.....thats my reality

Old 04-24-2011, 09:29 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,829,862 times
If you are already so sure of the answer? Why ask the questions...TWICE?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:44 AM

162 posts, read 886,026 times
Lying on a resume kinda makes me mad. I have a resume that is completely truthful and to think that someone is getting a job that I qualify for because they lied just isn't right.

Makes me realize the kind of world I'm about to get thrown into.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Love the drums.....very insightful I really appreciate you taking the time to write that.....just the kind of info I was looking for...

Truth is though the more people I talk to the more I realize how common this is.... I spoke to several people who ended up getting away with it....of course yes it could come back to haunt them if the company ever does another background check...but thats unlikely....Current employers arent contacted...and there is no public data which capture salary information or whether or not you went without being paid...thats pretty specific under FACR....

Hmm-- you misunderstand.

Most employers of a certain scale send information to services such as The Work Number-- my employer we send it daily-- I mapped the actual interface.

We send a chunk of indicative information but most fields are salary, job title, start date, last day worked, termination date, eligible for rehire, etc.

As an employee you have to provide a key to allow the new employer to access the salary data (or a lender), but other things are just normal reference information that another employer or background checking company will be able to pull once you put your John Hancock to that application you filled out (there is a release usually detailing that you are giving consent).

If your friend is working for a small company or ma and pop shop-- yeah you are right-- they may not pull that information. My HR does not do reference checks we send them to the Work Number. We also don't do verification of employment for lenders-- they go to the work number with an employee provided key.

Every company that I have worked for either as a recruiter or in HR-- did background checking. Including the dot.com that I worked at-- I did the reference/background check for verification of employment-- and would get the same information by calling HR departments or the Work Number (or places similar).

The process is you look at the application, the resume, and then the results of the reference/background check and compare.

If you want to work for any company that is not just a mom and pop-- then more than likely they will not just ignore the reference/background checking process. ESPECIALLY if you intend to work in Finance.

Speaking from the perspective of a financial services employee-- ALL of our employees must be bonded. ALL, even the admin. So we do credit checks, background checks, education verification, license and certification verification, FBI criminal background checks, fingerprinting, etc. And for certain finance people they even get a more invasive check due to the bonding requirements by our insurance providers.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Yes I agree completely....expecially as it relates to say a nurse..... But I have 10 years sales experience....there isnt much of a difference in what I would have learned in two years....I have solid experience in forming relationships and selling....I am not in a position where knowing things like regulatory accounting, which are always changing, is an issue....

But all of the things you are saying are true...and in an ideal world I woudlnt have to do this...but like I said - its certainly risky to alter your resume but its riskier to not eat.....thats my reality
Okay-- call me naive-- but if you are in sales.. then why in the world are you not thinking out of the box and cold calling????

After 9-11, I couldn't get a job. My sales experience was in recruiting/headhunting in a niche industry (fiberoptics, datacom, etc). I saw where there were openings and I pounded the phones much like I had as a recruiter.

I ended up a brief time at AT&T in B2B sales. I had hired fiber engineers and network engineers for big data pipelines-- but I figured I knew "enough" about the industry to perhaps be attractive to a provider such as AT&T. (For the record, I did this with other companies as well). I ended up cold-calling and playing with voicemails (and to think back then I didn't even have the resources such as Linkedin as you have now). I ended up getting a hold of one of the National Sales Directors-- who queried me how I got a hold of him, etc etc. I was offered an instant interview and when I realized he was in a state far away from my own-- he set me up with his colleagues in my local areas. I ended up getting a job. Didn't like it, but it was a job for the interim.

Sales people like that kind of no holds barred approach to making a connection. They respect it. There were companies I called that were not receptive but I figured I would not want to work there anyhow. I received quite a few interviews, didn't necessarily get an offer for everyone, but in the end I had gainful employment that was not half bad. If you are looking for another sales position-- I would think you would not be just relying on what your resume is doing-- far easier for a sales person to do something creative and "aggressive" such as cold calling and building those kinds of relationships versus the CPA down on the corner.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:05 PM

You can block The Work Number from pulling up stuff attached to your SSN...... I did that last year when I had identity theft.... Therefore all my employment verification must be done by phone....muahahahah

anyway Ill update the thread with any meaningful developments

Old 04-24-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
You can block The Work Number from pulling up stuff attached to your SSN...... I did that last year when I had identity theft.... Therefore all my employment verification must be done by phone....muahahahah

anyway Ill update the thread with any meaningful developments
Well good luck. Your "current" employer will still provide the same information based on a phone call.

But hey, maybe you will get "lucky".

Old 04-24-2011, 05:21 PM

Well we already covered the fact that current employers arent called.... I have never had a current employer contacted....and really my experience at my current employer isnt any different than at the others so there is little need to contact them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search