Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 AM

27 posts, read 168,389 times

Advertisements

Hopeful - relax..

This is someone who is obviously in a bind regarding an employment gap. Whether you like it or not employment gaps can be a deal breaker.....and forget about even getting your foot in the door.

So I dont remember the OP asking "What do you think about lying in general"...The question was with regards to how applications are verified as it relates to current employment....if you dont have anything to say about it then ****....This isn't Sunday school....No one is interested in your insight regarding fibbing...ok?

As I said before OP, if you think you can get away with it then go for it....Put this gap behind you and avoid lying in the future....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 11:42 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettleblack View Post
Hopeful - relax..

This is someone who is obviously in a bind regarding an employment gap. Whether you like it or not employment gaps can be a deal breaker.....and forget about even getting your foot in the door.

So I dont remember the OP asking "What do you think about lying in general"...The question was with regards to how applications are verified as it relates to current employment....if you dont have anything to say about it then ****....This isn't Sunday school....No one is interested in your insight regarding fibbing...ok?

As I said before OP, if you think you can get away with it then go for it....Put this gap behind you and avoid lying in the future....
I don't give two craps about what the question was. I will give my insight about lying whether you like it or not. Lying on your resume will come back to haunt you. It's obvious you agree with him based on your cheerleading of lying. So back off. I said nothing about lying in general. My beef is with people that lie on resumes as opposed to those that are honest and have to contend with people that think it is okay to screw them over. It is not my fault he has a gap, but lying is also a deal breaker and can ********* many times over.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:47 AM

27 posts, read 168,389 times
Yeah but my guess is you have a job and don't have kids to feed....He may.....so I don't know why you feel your so vested in people lying on their resume....He isn't screwing anyone over....He is extending years of employment for a job he already did...he said he wasnt embellishing any skills or making up a degree....

You were probably the kid in class who told the teacher about the kid cheating.....just the worst of the worst ..... leave the guy alone you annoying do gooder....

Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Say whatever you want kettleblack. It's not right for those that are honest to get screwed over all because someone else wants to lie on their resume. You would not like it if you were honest and then come to find out that someone that lied actually got the job over you. But let him lie. It will catch up to him. And like someone else pointed out, it will show up on a background check and or verification of employment dates. So if he wants to play with fire, he will surely get burned.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:18 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
We have a country where the place of the President's birth as well as his actual grades have either been falsified or altered somehow. It's a fact...check it out. More than half of the CEO's of F500 companies have lied, stretched or altered their resumes. This country was built on lies, built with lies and continues to do so.It will continue to happen whether it is right or not. This is the way of the world. Regardless of whether we agree here or disagree, the OP needs to do what he needs to do.OP lying on his resume is nothing compared to the amount and degree of lying done by F500, Bernie Madoff, Wall Street and others. So it's basically OK for them to do what they do but God forbid a job seeker plays around with dates on his resume because the hiring managers/HR are snobbish, picky a*holes who are looking for a rocket scientist for dirt cheap? Seriously...this is hysterical.
OP: Brother do what you gotta do. Ignore the moralists. They live by their rules, you live by YOURS.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:48 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,591 times
I'm not judging ANYONE, but I think it's so EFFING stupid to keep posting this stuff all over the internet. It's like people are trying to make HR's job easy and giving other all kinds of great ideas. More competition for you. Wise.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:16 PM

888 posts, read 887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
We have a country where the place of the President's birth as well as his actual grades have either been falsified or altered somehow. It's a fact...check it out. More than half of the CEO's of F500 companies have lied, stretched or altered their resumes. This country was built on lies, built with lies and continues to do so.It will continue to happen whether it is right or not. This is the way of the world. Regardless of whether we agree here or disagree, the OP needs to do what he needs to do.OP lying on his resume is nothing compared to the amount and degree of lying done by F500, Bernie Madoff, Wall Street and others. So it's basically OK for them to do what they do but God forbid a job seeker plays around with dates on his resume because the hiring managers/HR are snobbish, picky a*holes who are looking for a rocket scientist for dirt cheap? Seriously...this is hysterical.
OP: Brother do what you gotta do. Ignore the moralists. They live by their rules, you live by YOURS.
Finally, someone has some sense to post the TRUTH - which is kind of funny since this thread is about lying on the resume.

I say one should avoid lying if possible. However, Mystique13 has a freakin point, and if HR professionals are too ignorant or too arrogant to see the big picture, and think their little tiny Garden of Eden is something worldly and ultra important, I have news for them - you are a grain of sand that will wash away during the next flood.

I worked for a well-known investment bank (still in business) - I am not sure I have ever admitted that on this forum. I saw more lying cheating and stealing among the highly paid executives there than I have seen anywhere else. These executives can buy and sell HR with one freakin finger. Yes, the people at the top feel entitled to lie cheat and steal.

As an analyst I once had the ¨pleasure¨ of modeling everyone´s bonus payouts for the year in February (of that year) before there was any inkling of performance... and you know what I witnessed so much back room dealing and was shocked to find out that many exec´s bonuses (or lack thereof) were decided before any of them got a chance to perform! Yes, backstabbing galore. Not to mention the grams of coke these 10X HR salaried individuals sniffed. So, HR people, take that up your tailpipe. You have no clue.

So, I have no sympathy for any HR complaints about the OP wanting to tell some white lies. Instead of a poor job seeker that fibs on his dates, why don´t you HR people have the cajones to stand up for the real cheaters and swindlers at the top.

Oh yes, I know the answer... you´d be fired from your HR position. With a poor soul like the OP - hey now, there is a weakling that you can control and feel like you can ¨make a difference¨.

HR are mostly hypocrites. I am so happy I live in Miami where we are corrupt, at least you know what you are dealing with down here and HR does not pretend to have imaginary powers that they lament not having in real life. Most HR people from the north could not hack it for more than a year in Miami - they´d be crying home to mommy. In Miami, if we like you, you are in. End of freakin story. So what if a candidate has employment gaps, get over it HR people. The freakin fired CEO can be out of work for 3 years and after that he´s back making millions/year. Stick that one up your HR tailpipe too.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:58 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
NUNA: No unemployed need apply. It's in the ad, is told on the phone, all over the 'Net.Some naive politicians are passing laws in NJ and other states giving this group protected status.It won't end there, however. Employers discreetly practice discrimination against the long term unemployed; to them anything over 6 months is "long term". They don't care if it's the Recession, the "Second Coming" (sarcasm,note.) or another nuclear cataclysm. Again, No unemployed need apply. Just starve and die, all you long term or 99yers. All those who prefer to "tell the truth" can go ahead straight to this slaughter like sheep that they truly are or are pretending to be for the sake of good moral "appearance." Bottom line: in desperate times, we take desperate measures. You either survive or you don't. With overpopulation, inflation, post-Recession economic instability, rise in crime and homelessness, foreclosures all over the country, crazy gas prices, illegal population increase, outsourcing, etc., don't expect the job situation to get any better. Expect it to only get worse. And yo don't need a Ph.D. in urban sociology or politics to see this.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:53 PM

511 posts, read 2,451,325 times
I would like to bring this old post back to life. What a great discussion!

I USED TO work in Human Resources and can tell you the poster has a 30% chance for success. But if he believes that he has a 0% chance of getting a job without the lie then give it a try. There will be no criminal charges and if the works for a week before being discovered then at least he tried and he still earned money during that period and got out the house.

Many employers are more concerned about what his references would say than employment verification. 70% will check is last job in a formal employment verification but 30% won't. If it does not work out, then get up brush your self off and try again and again!

Old 01-04-2012, 05:19 PM

67 posts, read 394,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
NUNA: No unemployed need apply. It's in the ad, is told on the phone, all over the 'Net.Some naive politicians are passing laws in NJ and other states giving this group protected status.It won't end there, however. Employers discreetly practice discrimination against the long term unemployed; to them anything over 6 months is "long term". They don't care if it's the Recession, the "Second Coming" (sarcasm,note.) or another nuclear cataclysm. Again, No unemployed need apply. Just starve and die, all you long term or 99yers. All those who prefer to "tell the truth" can go ahead straight to this slaughter like sheep that they truly are or are pretending to be for the sake of good moral "appearance." Bottom line: in desperate times, we take desperate measures. You either survive or you don't. With overpopulation, inflation, post-Recession economic instability, rise in crime and homelessness, foreclosures all over the country, crazy gas prices, illegal population increase, outsourcing, etc., don't expect the job situation to get any better. Expect it to only get worse. And yo don't need a Ph.D. in urban sociology or politics to see this.
You are right...if a person is employed and looking for a career change..the doors open....for at least an interview...

If you are unemployed for any length of time. A person has a much harder time getting an interview or being hired.

Its amazing that with such high unemployment rates...companies feel its appropriate to not consider individuals who are out of work.

Not sure about lying about the original posters work time frame at a company that might or might not back up his story line..

Most companies will verify the years of employment. Most companies are only going to give out that information as a matter of company policy.

My suggestion to the original poster of this thread is to be honest.

You worked for x number of years. You saved up enough money to go back to school, you did go back for more education and now your looking for a new career.

I don't believe the OP needs to say he failed at achieving a degree in any specific field but rather he simply decided it was time to go back into the workplace to earn money

Easy to mention that if the company that hires you offers tuition assistance and it is something that could benefit both himself and the company he is working at that he will consider doing so in the future.

No lies. A simple truth.. and what I believe is a positive perspective projected on a resume and an interview.

I believe it is all in how the honest information is projected.

You certainly wouldn't be the first person to go for a specific advanced education and decide to rejoin the work force..

Good luck and its better than lying on dates of a resume ...but if you lie on the dates and got a job successfully then let us all know.

Its all good as long as it worked for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search