Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:47 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I don't see in the OP's plan how the baby will be cared for after husband's paternity leave.
It does sound as if OP is pregnant to keep her husband and really isn't interested in being a parent (whethe it involves diapers or not). Also, it's been my observation that men who want kids still do not want to be primary caregivers *at all*, not when they see what it involves and that it's gonna be a few years until the kid can catch a football.

I think the OP and her husband might be on a real collision course.
Thats just the difference between men and woman, men are best suited once the kid hits some sort of age of accountability and women are the coddlers when the kid is a baby. Men do not coddle by nature or change diapers. Men dont give women hell because they dont want to throw a foot ball or take the kid to boy scouts so I dont know why women get upset when men are not into coddling babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 02:57 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
No way would I reveal the pregnancy. I have three kids and I didn't even tell my current employer (with whom I'd been working for years) until I was in my second trimester. Eight weeks is way too early to even bring it up. The whole point in even telling your employer is so they can train someone/find someone to cover your position. A few months is plenty of time.

Also, is this your first baby? If so, you have absolutely no idea how you'll feel once the baby comes. I absolutely wouldn't mention that I don't need all of the leave available legally (per FMLA) or per the company mat leave policy. IMO, bringing up the baby and the leave is premature at this point.

I'd accept the position, first and then I'd wait until either I was showing or 16-20 weeks (depending on which happens first and once the greatest risk of miscarriage is over) and then tell my boss my anticipated due date as well as how long I planned to be out (IMO, it's much better to say 6 weeks and return in 4, then say 4 and ask for 2 more weeks).

Incidentally, I've worked at several places where pregnant women were hired and they didn't mention it until they were in their second trimester. I also interviewed when I was visibly pregnant and did NOT get an offers. I got a lot of "call us when you've had the baby" comments, though. I also got hired almost immediately once I was ready to return work so my pregnancy was obviously an issue.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:02 PM

596 posts, read 889,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Thats just the difference between men and woman, men are best suited once the kid hits some sort of age of accountability and women are the coddlers when the kid is a baby. Men do not coddle by nature or change diapers. Men dont give women hell because they dont want to throw a foot ball or take the kid to boy scouts so I dont know why women get upset when men are not into coddling babies.
I agree!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:23 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Tabbcatt, I don't think my response was particularly rude, but hey, we all have our opinions. Others certainly mentioned similar and seemingly harsher statements.
No, it's not my business that your incomes allow a nanny. I have just known a lot of couples where one doesn't overly want a child and the other might a lot more, and it often collides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search