Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:13 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times

Advertisements

I only got 1 job in my whole entire life doing an online application.

Every time I got a job it was either knowing someone or responding through an add but I never got a job doing an online job application.

I must have done 1,000 of them by now over the course of 5 years.

It has never worked.

Even if employeers gave me a call and I got the interview there were so many applicants I never got the position, resume and well dressed ; kissing as much butt as possible.

I'm pretty much given up entirely on online applications entirely.

They are a waste of time.

Last edited by Veyron; 05-06-2011 at 10:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 09:33 PM

60 posts, read 112,121 times
Smart decision my friend. I'm telling you. Our workforce is flawed. This online system employers have setup is just one of the reasons. I was talking to a guy yesterday and this is what he told me

"When I was a teen I held jobs from gas station attendant, landscaper and department store employee. This was the 1970’s and jobs were abundant. No such thing as a resume or a test either. All I had to do was walk into the employers personnel office and fill out an application, wait a few minutes for an interview and get the job. I can't remember ever being turned down. Now these types of jobs can only be applied for on line. You must take a test that they never tell you if you passed or not and no one ever calls you back. Yet when you go to the store or company you see total idiots working there".

Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenthelp View Post
Smart decision my friend. I'm telling you. Our workforce is flawed. This online system employers have setup is just one of the reasons. I was talking to a guy yesterday and this is what he told me

"When I was a teen I held jobs from gas station attendant, landscaper and department store employee. This was the 1970’s and jobs were abundant. No such thing as a resume or a test either. All I had to do was walk into the employers personnel office and fill out an application, wait a few minutes for an interview and get the job. I can't remember ever being turned down. Now these types of jobs can only be applied for on line. You must take a test that they never tell you if you passed or not and no one ever calls you back. Yet when you go to the store or company you see total idiots working there".
This is so true. I see crippled, legit mentally retarded (no pun), stupid and straight up rude people who have those jobs.

The only jobs I apply to are automotive jobs because I feel like its less competition and ads thats it. Really tired of wasting time, energy and stressing over a system that hasn't worked for me for over 4 years.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:20 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
I have been trying to get a job since Sept. I have applied to many online job postings without any results. Not even a phone call. I finally found a job just recently. I got it from pounding the pavement. Really. I went from store to store, filling out job applications. Finally one place called me in a month after my application and offered me a part-time job. I was hoping for full-time, but I guess that will have to wait. I worked with a career counselor who told me she did not have too many people she has worked with get a job from an online application. The most effective, in her experience, is going in person. Then with follow up calls.

I hate those personality tests that many places are making applicants take. To answer them correctly, you have to lie or not tell the complete truth. I was told to look at the answers the way a manager would want you to answer. The whole thing is silly.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
I have been trying to get a job since Sept. I have applied to many online job postings without any results. Not even a phone call. I finally found a job just recently. I got it from pounding the pavement. Really. I went from store to store, filling out job applications. Finally one place called me in a month after my application and offered me a part-time job. I was hoping for full-time, but I guess that will have to wait. I worked with a career counselor who told me she did not have too many people she has worked with get a job from an online application. The most effective, in her experience, is going in person. Then with follow up calls.

I hate those personality tests that many places are making applicants take. To answer them correctly, you have to lie or not tell the complete truth. I was told to look at the answers the way a manager would want you to answer. The whole thing is silly.
I completely agree that the personality test are pointless imo.
IMO it also sucks that you have to network to get a job these days.

It's like mixing personal and professorial life and thats never a good mix on top of that its like you are forced to depend on people which gives a sense of powerlessness.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I completely agree that the personality test are pointless imo.
IMO it also sucks that you have to network to get a job these days.

It's like mixing personal and professorial life and thats never a good mix on top of that its like you are forced to depend on people which gives a sense of powerlessness.
I've gotton 3 out of 4(the amount I've had since graduating college) by answering online ads where I've not known anyone. The other job I got was a temp agency picked my resume off of careerbuilder.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:25 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
Online applications are a just another way to exclude people. I have never even gotten a phone call in response to any of those online apps. Just an automated computer generated BS acknowledgement or automated "we'll keep your resume on file" type thing. I don't think anybody ever even checks the ATS (Applicant Tracking System). They're too lazy or bored or whatever. But yes, I agree, many of the people working in those places are borderline retarded or lack basic socialization skills. There are plenty of "professional" white collar places where I'm noticing this as well. Answering ads, cold calling, cold emailing/faxing and sometimes just walking in and filling out an app is better. I mean cold emailing to a specific person, not a jobs@___ or any of those.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
The only fault for the applicant is that it allows for a lot more competition, so yours has to stand out a lot more when there are 1,000 others to be reviewed. Some employers such as where I work (hiring manager) accept only online applications. Since every job requires the use of a computer for some tasks, people can be eliminated by messing up the simple online application/resume upload process.

Stop applying online and you are greatly reducing your opportunities. We have 12 openings currently, but had as many as 30 a few weeks ago. Generally we run about 100 applicants for each opening, making it a lot easier to review and eliminate online and only print out the best.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:14 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I only got 1 job in my whole entire life doing an online application.

Every time I got a job it was either knowing someone or responding through an add but I never got a job doing an online job application.

I must have done 1,000 of them by now over the course of 5 years.

It has never worked.

Even if employeers gave me a call and I got the interview there were so many applicants I never got the position, resume and well dressed ; kissing as much butt as possible.

I'm pretty much given up entirely on online applications entirely.

They are a waste of time.
If you are getting called to interviews, then the problem isn't the application method.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:16 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Many of the companies I'm applying to only accept online apps, and from them I've gotten a few interviews but no job yet.

I tried the pound the pavement and no one would even take a resume they all said apply online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search