Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:08 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Probably a quarter of the job ads on Monster, News Papers, Craig's List etc... are not even serious. They're just collecting resumes or pulling a stunt per the above.

That's why lots of people have the experience of sending out hundreds of resumes for jobs, a lot which they're over qualified for, and never getting a call or information/feedback back.

Alternate Unemployment Charts
I've been job hunting for a brief time (going back about a month ago) and I haven't received a single call back. After some discouragement, I started back up this weekend. So, we'll see where it goes. But you bring up a very interesting point for all of us to ponder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 03:51 PM

386 posts, read 1,051,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I've been job hunting for a brief time (going back about a month ago) and I haven't received a single call back. After some discouragement, I started back up this weekend. So, we'll see where it goes. But you bring up a very interesting point for all of us to ponder.

Ya, it gets discouraging, but you can't ever give up. You just have to keep applying, even to places you would normally never work. Never give up, never surrender!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:58 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Most people on my staff actually live in NJ, and work in NYC.
Not too bad of a commute, but would be more enjoyable eventually if your Governor hadn't killed off the tunnel project.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Probably a quarter of the job ads on Monster, News Papers, Craig's List etc... are not even serious. They're just collecting resumes or pulling a stunt per the above.

That's why lots of people have the experience of sending out hundreds of resumes for jobs, a lot which they're over qualified for, and never getting a call or information/feedback back.

Alternate Unemployment Charts
About 10% of available jobs make it to employment websites. If you are relying on them solely for employment, it is going to be a long hunt!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:57 AM

750 posts, read 1,445,503 times
This video shows very well that US business is playing a game. They do not want to hire a US worker. The lawyer is giving a road map to get around US labor laws. This is very common in IT. Make a job ad with a list of skills longer then my arm. Then by magic they find someone in India bring them in by h1b. Or they use a bodyshop from India. It is all a joke.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:18 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times
Quote:

This is why when you go into the department of labor, you see positions like "CEO" on their outdated software.

What former or current CEO is in a DOL office?

BTW, this is a very old video and is from before 2007.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:23 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
This video shows very well that US business is playing a game. They do not want to hire a US worker. The lawyer is giving a road map to get around US labor laws. This is very common in IT. Make a job ad with a list of skills longer then my arm. Then by magic they find someone in India bring them in by h1b. Or they use a bodyshop from India. It is all a joke.
Well, except you have people in IT in America in this thread saying they are having a hard time finding people for actual IT positions.

There are currently 65,000 H1B visas awarded per year. This includes architects, engineers, computer programmers, accountants, doctors, veterinarian, dentist, registered nurse, business managers, and college professors.

Also I don't think using H1B is easy to fill an immediate need. The cap for a given year is reached so you can't have a need in March and fill it by April or May by bringing someone in on an H1B visa, you'd have to wait for the next years pool for your petition.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:25 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times
parttimetechie, unless you have another way to advance your skill set to get a $30K+cost of living wage job, then the military is still a good option.

Some who are trained in the military are highly sought after post service. BTW, no I'm not talking about army. And believe it or not, but regular cannon fodder is not needed.

I was told, "Anyone who scored below a 90 on the ASVAB was sent back" when I went for testing.

Besides, they have nearly the same positions they have on the outside.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:56 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Agreed employers are creating their own shortages. They seem to magically expect a person to drop in to their lap who has pretty much done this exact position before to the point of knowing their own proprietary stuff. They then think this person should take the position for a pay cut or on contract. When this doesn't happen they scream that there is a shortage and Americans don't have the skills they are looking for.

It happens a lot in science. Science has nearly infinite niches and specialization and employers think there is a shortage because they can't find one with 10 years experience in their exact niche. Yet there are tons of qualified scientists out there who can if they get the training and do there homework thrive in the position.

Maybe I haven't run the Fisher Thermomatic DNA sequencer 945.6C on a Thursday before but if you gave me the user guide I bet I could figure it out.
Of course they are. I totally agree. They whine that they can't find workers but they expect every worker to have skills in that exact environment. Why can't a teacher who has worked with troubled kids in a classroom work with troubled kids as a case manager? Actually, the teacher with experience teaching a class of 15 troubled kids may actually have more skills and expertise than the case manager who has worked with troubled kids on a one-on-one basis. However, the teacher will never get hired as a case manager because the teacher has never worked in a case management environment even though both jobs require similar skills.

Honestly, what are we supposed to do? Go $250,000 in debt and get trained in many, many areas? Okay, so if we do that, then we are stuck with $250,000 in debt to pay off. Although I still think many employers wouldn't hire even with several degrees and training certificates because you don't have on-the-job experience. Exactly how do you get this experience if no one hires? I am starting to see why people lie on their resumes and job applications.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:59 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
parttimetechie, unless you have another way to advance your skill set to get a $30K+cost of living wage job, then the military is still a good option.

Some who are trained in the military are highly sought after post service. BTW, no I'm not talking about army. And believe it or not, but regular cannon fodder is not needed.

I was told, "Anyone who scored below a 90 on the ASVAB was sent back" when I went for testing.

Besides, they have nearly the same positions they have on the outside.
I would LOVE a living wage job. I have considered the military, but I get discouraged thinking I will automatically be rejected because I am an asthmatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search