Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,246,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
Is this an unpaid internship type job?

If so, it's best to place the ad in the schools so that students know they will get school credits for it.
No, it's a paid position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 10:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
It's really hard to find employees these days. I'm feeling it too. You'd be amazed how many people out there have college degrees but are dumb or dull as hell.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 PM

37 posts, read 42,807 times
Where are you located? Thousands in NC need jobs so by all means let me have the info, I'm sure I could post your link on the unemployment forum and you'd receive a few thousand resumes to leaf through.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:12 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
My company is looking to hire and frustrated at the worthless resumes we are receiving. I mean these people are certainly qualified for a job....just not the one we are offering. They don't have any of the key qualifications required of the job.

I'm not sure where our ad is posted though. I looked at craigslist and didn't see it, and i haven't seen it posted anywhere else. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the issue is how the ad was written or where it was posted.

If your company is not receiving the type of employees you're looking for then I would look at the add you are running.

Maybe the person or people you have in charge of hiring don't know what they're doing, maybe they don't know what you're looking for?

If you're not getting the type of applicant then you should look inside your company. People only apply if they think they have a chance of getting the job.

busta

Old 05-10-2011, 11:21 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
I never use Craigslist to job search. You may be better off using your local newspaper or going to a recruiter.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:30 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
We have the same problem. We posted a job for a software engineer two months ago (monster, careerbuilder, company's own website, craigslist), got dozens of resumes, but only two were even remotely qualified, and even they were not that good. It is like everyone has a single resume that they blindly blast to any open job anymore...I know unemployment is high, but we have a real problem finding even a single qualified applicants for skilled positions (software development/finance/accounting specifically)

Old 05-11-2011, 06:38 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
We have the same problem. We posted a job for a software engineer two months ago (monster, careerbuilder, company's own website, craigslist), got dozens of resumes, but only two were even remotely qualified, and even they were not that good. It is like everyone has a single resume that they blindly blast to any open job anymore...I know unemployment is high, but we have a real problem finding even a single qualified applicants for skilled positions (software development/finance/accounting specifically)
They are supposed to also send a COVER LETTER that explains WHY they think they are qualifed or how the skills on their resume apply to the job you are posting. Most applicants are too stupid to find a job.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
If your ad looks like spam you maybe in a losing battle on craigslist. If you are serious make your ad look like it. I know that many here on the forum have given up on Craigslist to find a job.
An employer too cheap to pay for posting on a legitimate job board (not Craigslist) is probably someone you don't want to be working for.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:44 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
They are supposed to also send a COVER LETTER that explains WHY they think they are qualifed or how the skills on their resume apply to the job you are posting. Most applicants are too stupid to find a job.
For the last job we posted (fortune 500 company in Pittsburgh, PA), we got 48 applicants and only three had cover letters. And people wonder why they never hear back when they apply for jobs.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:38 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
For the last job we posted (fortune 500 company in Pittsburgh, PA), we got 48 applicants and only three had cover letters. And people wonder why they never hear back when they apply for jobs.
I always made sure to include a cover letter, make sure my resume matched the job, etc. I think that is partially why I was able to get a job in under a week. I am surprised at how many people don't know how to do this.

I do have a theory on these people. I really think it is one of three things:
1. They really don't know how to job search and unfortunately are not smart enough to use Google to get tips.
2. They started out doing it the right way and now are so tired of sending out resumes that they don't want to spend too much time on each one since it hasn't paid off yet (long term unemployed)
3. They are milking unemployment. Even though they know they won't get the job, they can now say that they applied to 5 places (or whatever the required number is) this week.

To the OP, I agree with everyone else. CL has become known for scams. You have to make sure your ad cannot possibly look like a scam. Include a link to your website, link to google map of your office, whatever makes it stand out. If you don't want people calling or stopping by, say so in your ad. If they break that rule, they don't get hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search