Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 PM

331 posts, read 956,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
I never said students don't count. Your statement said that all these people were desperate for work. I am sure there was a large majority could have been high schoolers looking for extra money. I don't believe that the entire 1 million people that applied were desperate as you said.
I wouldn't classify it as extra money. Many teenagers use these jobs to purchase vehicles and pay for car insurance. If they aren't able to do that, mom and dad will have to foot the bill (or, better yet, truck them around). So, the kids may not be desperate but you bet your bottom dollar that their parents will be. More kids will sit at home and not learn adult responsibilities which would result in a less skilled workforce. Also, when there are less of them working, that means more will be likely to get into trouble. I recently saw an article that Chicago legislators were very concerned about a large increase in crime rate this summer for these very reasons. You mentioned you have children so you should clearly understand what the ramifications and consequences are if a large chunk of teenagers are not working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 12:08 PM

60 posts, read 112,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
I wouldn't classify it as extra money. Many teenagers use these jobs to purchase vehicles and pay for car insurance. If they aren't able to do that, mom and dad will have to foot the bill (or, better yet, truck them around). So, the kids may not be desperate but you bet your bottom dollar that their parents will be. More kids will sit at home and not learn adult responsibilities which would result in a less skilled workforce. Also, when there are less of them working, that means more will be likely to get into trouble. I recently saw an article that Chicago legislators were very concerned about a large increase in crime rate this summer for these very reasons. You mentioned you have children so you should clearly understand what the ramifications and consequences are if a large chunk of teenagers are not working.
The truth.

Can't shut out an entire generation from building a work ethic and obtaining skills can we?

Except for your "nobody's entitled to a job...........................except me" excuse

Old 05-13-2011, 05:21 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Well, aside from everyone's political agendas, isn't this fact a little disconcerting to anyone?

"That means that somewhere around 938,000 eager job applicants were turned away."

We have a million Americans desperate to get into McDonald's?
People like to knock McDonalds as being low level jobs but honestly McDonalds starting pay is pretty good for unskilled job that require no education and often little to no experience, at least until recently.

I see lots of office jobs, and even manual labor jobs like landscaping and things like that that pay less than McDonalds pays.

McDonalds you work inside, I believe they have some benefits options for employees unlike a lot of these other companies and there is room for advancement.

McDonalds is the stereotypical job to make fun of but there's worse jbos out there.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:02 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,582 times
little elvis is one of these guys that got his (bought when teh market was low, paid off or nearly paid off house, etc) and F*ck everyone else is how I feel, our system is so messed up to the point of crumbling and he says he does not want to go through what it will take to fix it, your credibility just blows away like an untied balloon when you say that.

The people that already have their cake and already have their network in place a nice place paid for and some money in savings dont want anything to change, the truth is we are either going to do it through staunch, harsh and swift regulation or through riots and a colapse of america.

Maybe we can just ride this out but I doubt it, there are going to have to be some serious major changes otherwise we will be like the ex solviet union.

As long as most people are making 10-15$/hr and a basic decent car costs 10-20k and a house is in the 200-300k range these problems are only going to get worse, MUCH worse, what are banks going to do start offering 50 year loans.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:30 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,743 times
Highlife2 makes some good points. Bad times are ahead but lots of people could care less. They think I got mine so fu*k you. Well when 95% of the population can not afford to live. And this is where we are heading. Things will get bad real fast. Will still are living on debt. But those days are coming to an end.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:54 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Well godd@mn! littleelvis says he is sure that these were just high schoolers looking for extra money. I guess as long as you're sure about it, we don't even need to have this discussion. You must be the smartest, most certain motherf*cker I have ever met. I think I just met the most interesting man alive. "Ladies and gents, I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis. Stay thirsty my friends."
I see we have divulged into cursing and acting like children. I have kids I deal with at home. I don't debate issues with kids on forums. Love how you take everything people say and use bits and pieces to fit your argument.

Grow up!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:29 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
As long as most people are making 10-15$/hr
United States Economy at a Glance

As of April 2011 the average hourly wage in the United States is about $23/hour.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:58 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
All I want is to be able to order food in English. No habla Espanol, no hambugesa y queso y papas fritas.

I need my Spanish translation book with me to order food at McDonald's, in the United States. Who would have ever thought that would happen?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:19 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
"Well, you know what? McDonald's ended up receiving approximately one million applications. So how many of those people did McDonald's hire?"

I don't understand this whole thing...aren't most McDonald's franchises?

I have a fishin' buddy that owns nine McD's and the people that work in his restaurants do not work for McDonald's....they work for my buddy, the franchisee.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:50 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
As long as most people are making 10-15$/hr and a basic decent car costs 10-20k and a house is in the 200-300k range these problems are only going to get worse, MUCH worse,
http://www.realestateabc.com/outlook/overall.htm

USA Median home price is approx 160k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search