Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,859 times

Advertisements

I have a business degree from Cornell but I find very few hiring managers really care where I went to school. I would like to believe that having a University Degree from an Ivy League College with a 4.0 GPA would make a difference to companies because it showed that I am highly intelligent and mixed it up with the most brillant minds in America. But I think most hiring managers are not impressed and instead think less of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 01:35 PM

386 posts, read 1,051,914 times
College name, grades, majors are unimportant in the real world. Many don't even know the name of the school you went to unless its a big name school.

What counts in the working world is your experience, not your degree or anything else, just the amount of experience you have.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:35 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child Prodigy View Post
I have a business degree from Cornell but I find very few hiring managers really care where I went to school. I would like to believe that having a University Degree from an Ivy League College with a 4.0 GPA would make a difference to companies because it showed that I am highly intelligent and mixed it up with the most brillant minds in America. But I think most hiring managers are not impressed and instead think less of me.
How do you know they care less of you? Have they told you that?

Old 05-16-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimetechie View Post
College name, grades, majors are unimportant in the real world. Many don't even know the name of the school you went to unless its a big name school.

What counts in the working world is your experience, not your degree or anything else, just the amount of experience you have.
I think the degree matters in the beginning, after you initially graduate. But, as time goes on, the degree IMO, becomes less important. If you went to a well known, highly-reputable school, OTOH, I think it does shed some positive light on you. Like if you went to Harvard, most people would say, "Wow, that's quite an accomplishment," and they would think, "This guy must be pretty smart". It certainly wouldn't hurt you, at least I wouldn't think.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I think the degree matters in the beginning, after you initially graduate. But, as time goes on, the degree IMO, becomes less important. If you went to a well known, highly-reputable school, OTOH, I think it does shed some positive light on you. Like if you went to Harvard, most people would say, "Wow, that's quite an accomplishment," and they would think, "This guy must be pretty smart". It certainly wouldn't hurt you, at least I wouldn't think.
IME, the GPA nor the school I went to, nor the degree I had have had any impact on me getting a job. Maybe its just me, who knows.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimetechie View Post
IME, the GPA nor the school I went to, nor the degree I had have had any impact on me getting a job. Maybe its just me, who knows.
That would depend on which school you went to, no? Would you mind sharing? I understand if you want to withhold that information on a forum.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:54 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Depends what the employer is looking for. To some it matters, to others it doesn't. Is this person going to be just another cog in the machine or are they looking for something more? Are they looking for someone they may want to promote up the ladder or maybe they don't care about that.

Take an extreme example. Someone who had a good GPA from Wharton. They can probably go work for McKinsey where anyone else probably couldn't get in the door. But to a midsize or small company, that may be overkill.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Depends what the employer is looking for. To some it matters, to others it doesn't. Is this person going to be just another cog in the machine or are they looking for something more? Are they looking for someone they may want to promote up the ladder or maybe they don't care about that.

Take an extreme example. Someone who had a good GPA from Wharton. They can probably go work for McKinsey where anyone else probably couldn't get in the door. But to a midsize or small company, that may be overkill.
I agree with this.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:17 PM

I agree also, but for the majority of jobs the degree and GPA don't matter...there are always exceptions, and clearly the above post points that out.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:30 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
I went to the number one eater fashion school in the country. I would say in my industry it helps your resume get to the top of the pile but not necessarily the job.

I work for a large retailer and within my row of cubicles we have a person from Cornell, UPenn and another ny fashion school.

An ivy leg degree can't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search