Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 12:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,938,326 times

Advertisements

You do not take into account employer discrimination or bias against racial minorities or age? Because it does happen frequently in some states. (Read: Tim Wise). Another aspect is to consider that they are actually going on job interviews and looking for jobs. A nefarious bum would not bother to look for work. I know employers who will interview people who have not had a lot of work experience but will harass them on the interview about not having a lot of work experience; so why interview them? A horrible job interview can reveal more about the ineptitude of the corporation than the interviewee.

You can raise your eyebrow all you want but there are millions of other good people who are not you and do not have your exact background. Basically, it shouldn't concern you because you are too busy sorting out resumes and interviewing people with years of experience and reliable work history rather than interviewing people just to "raise your eyebrow" at them and scold them for not volunteering or writing novels in their spare time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Judging from my own experience, I would raise an eyebrow if anybody was unemployed for a year or over.

I have never been out of work (or school, or preparing for school) for more than 4 months. And I am FAR from somebody who is passionate about my career and searching for jobs. And I do not work in a field where there are tons of jobs.

If you have been out that long, why haven't you tried to go back to school? Or gotten certifications. Those would be my questions. If somebody was just 'searching for a job' and that's it for 2 years or so, I would not hire.

On the other hand, if I was interviewing somebody and they said, I was writing a novel, or painting, or writing an album, then that would be OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 12:46 PM

Do you live up to your own standards? Do you share what you've been doing aside from sitting at your desk and being judgmental and harsh on others? What exactly do you do in your free time. Care to share with your interviewees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You missed my point. I want to see that someone has been doing more than just "looking for a job" if they have been unemployed for over three months or so.

Furthering an education or skills training, volunteering, starting up or being super active in a professional networking group, belonging to associations related to your industry, the list goes on and on. But to have nothing on a resume for over a year... I'm really going to question that.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:48 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You do not take into account employer discrimination or bias against racial minorities or age? Because it does happen frequently in some states. (Read: Tim Wise). Another aspect is to consider that they are actually going on job interviews and looking for jobs. A nefarious bum would not bother to look for work. I know employers who will interview people who have not had a lot of work experience but will harass them on the interview about not having a lot of work experience; so why interview them? A horrible job interview can reveal more about the ineptitude of the corporation than the interviewee.

You can raise your eyebrow all you want but there are millions of other good people who are not you and do not have your exact background. Basically, it shouldn't concern you because you are too busy sorting out resumes and interviewing people with years of experience and reliable work history.
If you can't find a job, then go back to school, or earn other credentials.

The point is: You can't just be looking for a job for two years. You have to be doing something else.

I bit the bullet and took a job out of state and for much less pay than what I made before.

Work for Home Depot or become a bartender.

Two years...

Old 08-13-2011, 12:51 PM

Who are you again?

Quote:
If you can't find a job, then go back to school, or earn other credentials.

The point is: You can't just be looking for a job for two years. You have to be doing something else.

I bit the bullet and took a job out of state and for much less pay than what I made before.

Work for Home Depot or become a bartender.

Two years...

Old 08-13-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Who are you again?
Oh, I see. You're a troll. Enjoy your trolling...

Old 08-13-2011, 12:59 PM

It's possible that you believe yourself to be omniscient? Perhaps, you are a bored university career counselor? Have you ever hired people or trained people? Or are you just gibbering?

Quote:
Oh, I see. You're a troll. Enjoy your trolling...

Old 08-13-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
It's possible that you believe yourself to be omniscient? Perhaps, you are a bored university career counselor? Have you ever hired people or trained people? Or are you just gibbering?
Once you are done with your 20s (or teens) and your hipster, ultra-liberal, sarcastic, Stephen Colbert phase is over, you will be old like me and have to worry about things like planning for retirement and whether your career can sustain a living for the rest of your life.

Then, you will realize that life is unfair, and whether you are a minority, have poor social skills, or are just downright discriminated for being short, ugly, or fat, you're going to have to put food on the table somehow.

And that includes taking a job at Home Depot when you've been unemployed for a year (co-worker of mine did it who had more experience than me).

Old 08-13-2011, 03:40 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Do you live up to your own standards? Do you share what you've been doing aside from sitting at your desk and being judgmental and harsh on others? What exactly do you do in your free time. Care to share with your interviewees?
Sure, where it's relevant to running my business, I'd be happy to share with someone I'm interviewing. I'm active in a two professional networking groups as well as recently taking a week long training class to get a certification that is helpful in my industry.

I don't think asking people what they've been doing--other than "looking for a job"--for a year is harsh or judgmental. Just the opposite, actually. Their answer will tell me that they've kept current with skills and/or industry knowledge, and/or know how to effectively network, etc.

I don't like to hire one dimensional people, and if all they want to tell me is that they've been looking for a job, I'll move on to someone who actually has something interesting to say about how they've been using their time.

I recently interviewed someone who had been volunteering as a bi-lingual adult literacy teacher while conducting her job search. I ended up hiring a more qualified candidate, but I might have another position opening soon, and I'm definitely considering that person for it if they are still available when the time comes. Sharing that with me told me a lot about them--they are able to teach/mentor and able to effectively communicate from people from a wide range of cultures.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:28 PM

Okay, I see where you are coming from. Your advice is actually really good. I was hoping you would live up to your own standards and demonstrate what you want to see in the workplace.

People can do week-long training classes and belong to networking groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Sure, where it's relevant to running my business, I'd be happy to share with someone I'm interviewing. I'm active in a two professional networking groups as well as recently taking a week long training class to get a certification that is helpful in my industry.

I don't think asking people what they've been doing--other than "looking for a job"--for a year is harsh or judgmental. Just the opposite, actually. Their answer will tell me that they've kept current with skills and/or industry knowledge, and/or know how to effectively network, etc.

I don't like to hire one dimensional people, and if all they want to tell me is that they've been looking for a job, I'll move on to someone who actually has something interesting to say about how they've been using their time.

I recently interviewed someone who had been volunteering as a bi-lingual adult literacy teacher while conducting her job search. I ended up hiring a more qualified candidate, but I might have another position opening soon, and I'm definitely considering that person for it if they are still available when the time comes. Sharing that with me told me a lot about them--they are able to teach/mentor and able to effectively communicate from people from a wide range of cultures.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:37 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,419 times
Quote:
those who interview you and make a big deal about it are wasting company time. They need to be scolded and corrected and trained on how to procure employees and on how to interview.
I can't argue with you there because it is very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search