U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 PM

1,090 posts, read 2,972,756 times

Advertisements

Hey all

The job market is BRUTAL right now, as you know. I used to work with (example) ABC Agency in 2008. I had a handful of temp assignments with them, with most lasting about a week at a time.

I ended up walking out of one of the assignments because the supervisor got ghetto on me and I tried to amend the situation, but she wasn't having it. I called one of my recruiters at the ABC Agency and let them know I was leaving the work site. She proceeded to speak down to me about upsetting her client, because apparently I am supposed to take the abuse right? Needless to say, I'm sure they weren't happy.

I went back to school for 2 years and JUST stepped back in the market at the end of 2010. To no big surprise, I guess, I never got work from them again.

So here's what happened this week. ANOTHER recruiter called me and told me she saw my resume on Monster. She works at ABC Agency, but in an entirely different department/location/office than my old recruiters who got me temp work.

She wants to interview and send me to her client for the EXACT job I am looking for and it pays REALLY well. She scheduled a 1pm interview with me and I am just AMAZED and wondering if I'm still in ABC Agency's system and whether or not there are bad notes about me.

I'm scared to get there and she asks, So have you worked with ABC Agency before? OR...the paperwork asks that. Then I will obviously have to check off YES and it's a gamble as to whether or not she will look into it and whether I have bad notes on my part.

I want to get my foot in the door with her SO bad because I think once she gets me in front of her and sees me demeanor, worst case, even if there were bad notes on me, I could explain them. I'm telling you, that last supervisor was literally PSYCHO. She was some big, black lady and was picking a fight with me out of literally NO WHERE. Listen, I'm no angel, but she really was.

End point...I'm about to email her back and confirm my interview with her..should I mention that I worked for their temp department before or just wait until the interview? I'm not sure how agencies work. When I went there, I filled out paperwork. I have no idea if they actually use a computer system to track us. I would be interviewing in a completely different building/location than where my old recruiters are. My old recruiters never gave me bad feedback, but it feels like they gave me the cold shoulder after I walked out on Ms.Ghetto-Supervisor.

Last edited by BingCherry; 05-17-2011 at 09:39 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 PM

4,805 posts, read 21,321,659 times
You have nothing to gain by telling them about your past now, and possibly something to gain by waiting to find out how things play out. The worst that can happen is that they find out later and reject you.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:08 PM

926 posts, read 2,051,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
You have nothing to gain by telling them about your past now, and possibly something to gain by waiting to find out how things play out. The worst that can happen is that they find out later and reject you.

pinkybumpkin go with the flow, attend the interview and see what happens. If the interviewer likes you as the top candidate, the recruiter won't care about your past. They'll care about the commission they'll get from a successful placement and if you perform well for their client so the client considers the agency for future contracts.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 PM

188 posts, read 878,031 times
I would be honest with them up front so you don't waste your or their time. Most companies have a very strict rehire policy, you might just call and ask if Ms.Ghetto-Supervisor still works there, if she doesn't tell your story, if she does they will probably ask her about you.

To me the worse case scenario would be not saying anything and have Ms.Ghetto-Supervisor walk in during the interview.

Good Luck.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post

pinkybumpkin go with the flow, attend the interview and see what happens. If the interviewer likes you as the top candidate, the recruiter won't care about your past. They'll care about the commission they'll get from a successful placement and if you perform well for their client so the client considers the agency for future contracts.
Hey thanks! Since it's a recruiting agency, I am actually interviewing WITH the recruiter at ABC Agency FIRST...then she would attempt to send me to her client. I would actually need to interview with her first. I don't know if I am still registered with the agency or if they have my paperwork, but I am assuming I must be SOMEWHERE in their system.

I sure as HELL hope she doesn't ask about that and I tell her I used to temp and they somehow have bad notes on me in their system somewhere..that would be AWKWARD. Esp. since I filled out all paper when I came in years ago and worked with them. Dunno how it works.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peperosso View Post
I would be honest with them up front so you don't waste your or their time. Most companies have a very strict rehire policy, you might just call and ask if Ms.Ghetto-Supervisor still works there, if she doesn't tell your story, if she does they will probably ask her about you.

To me the worse case scenario would be not saying anything and have Ms.Ghetto-Supervisor walk in during the interview.

Good Luck.
Sorry if this is confusing you guys. Ms.Ghetto was one of the supervisors at an assignment that I had through ABC Agency. It was a temp assignment in the corporate cosmetics field. ABC Agency is like AppleOne. They have several buildings and departments. The recruiter calling me is in a different location, department, and building. She's in the permanent placement department. My old recruiters were in the short-term temp department.

Really hope this makes sense now :-p

Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,548,924 times
I'm PRETTY sure that permanent placement and short-term branches of staffing agencies don't' share databases (from personal experience being called by perm placement that can't ever find me in their DB after I've worked contracts), so I think you're OK And you shouldn't have to actually fill out any paperwork with the staffing company acknowledging a prior relationship until you get the offer, right?

Old 05-18-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
I'm PRETTY sure that permanent placement and short-term branches of staffing agencies don't' share databases (from personal experience being called by perm placement that can't ever find me in their DB after I've worked contracts), so I think you're OK And you shouldn't have to actually fill out any paperwork with the staffing company acknowledging a prior relationship until you get the offer, right?
This recruiter is from the same staffing agency. She works for the ABC Agency, but in another department and location in NYC. I worked for the temp division for the ABC Agency in 2008, with another recruiter who is across town in a different department and building.

This recruiter, from ABC Agency, is calling me about a position that she has with her client (an investment bank). That's why I'm so worried. Hope this is starting to make sense.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:32 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,548,924 times
No, I understand your scenario perfectly. Re-read my response. If you worked a short-term assignment, I'm not sure that THAT branch of a staffing agency shares databases with the permanent placement division of the same staffing agency. In my case, it's never been that way! You should be fine.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
No, I understand your scenario perfectly. Re-read my response. If you worked a short-term assignment, I'm not sure that THAT branch of a staffing agency shares databases with the permanent placement division of the same staffing agency. In my case, it's never been that way! You should be fine.
Really? I am shocked. So if she asks if I ever worked FOR ABC Agency, should I admit? If it asks in paperwork, I'm leaving it blank LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search