Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,921 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Here is my situation. I have severe lower back pain when I sit for prolonged periods of time. I can grin and bear it for the occasional meeting. But being seated for hours every day is pretty much out of the question. Been to several doctors and there’s not much that can be done. They're reluctant to operate because it could further problems down the road.

At my current job, I’m allowed to have a standing desk, which makes things tolerable. But other than that, the work environment is lousy so I'm looking to switch jobs.

I have a fear that most employers will think my back pain is some sort of put-on. If I ever bring it up in an interview, it will be viewed suspiciously and I won’t get the job. And it’s hard to imagine going through a month of pain before I ask for a standing desk. And if I do I ask, I suspect it will cause friction as managers can vary in quality.

So how would you deal with this? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 10:37 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Have you tried an ergonomic chair? I have a similar problem with pain after sitting for long periods of time, and buying one of these made a HUGE difference for me. Ergonomic Chairs | Office Chairs

Old 05-18-2011, 10:39 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
This falls squarely within the purview of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA).

My wife has a similar problem, which stems from an old fracture of her coccyx or tailbone. I resolved it by building her a simple wood keyboard stand that sits on top of her desk and positions her keyboard and mouse high enough for her to work while standing. We also found and bought a desk chair that minimizes the pressure and pain for those situations where she simply HAS to sit.

Not including my labor, of course, the entire thing cost less than $150 and is quite portable. So far, none of her employers has ever questioned it or had any difficulties with it.

Now, to answer your question, don't volunteer the information unless you are asked a question like "can you do the work required, either with or without reasonable accomodation?", to which, of course, the answer is yes. If you are asked a more detailed question, say something like, "I need to be able to adjust my chair." Don't be defensive about it! Lower back pain is EXTREMELY common in the workplace. If you get an offer, THAT is the time to negotiate the accomodation.

Hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK!

-- Nighteyes (who also suffers from lower back pain)

PS: Never lie, of course, because that can cause trouble down the road.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:40 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
It sounds like something that is pretty easily accommodated and would not interfere too much with the job. So I wouldn't bring it up in an interview. I would wait until you get an offer. The offer usually is accompanied by an offer to pose any questions you may have about the offer or company policy. So in addition to whatever other questions you have, ask if they will be able to accommodate your back condition. You will probably get the most favorable response if you tell them what solutions you have found to work well in the past (such as a specific chair, or built-in 15 minute breaks every hour to move around, etc).

I would strongly suggest a GOOD ergonomic chair. Not one you buy from office depot. I mean one from one of the major office furniture manufacturers, those that spend millions every year studing human ergonomics and health. The cheaper chairs are no good--their solution is simply to add more foam, which accomplishes nothing. Some suggestions might be Herman Miller Embody, Steelcase Amia, Humanscale Freedom, or Allsteel #19. I'd avoid those that have a mesh seat like the Herman Miller Aeron chair--they sort of act like an upward boomerang and can cause more pain and spasms than they help, for low back pain anyway.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:20 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
I have the opposite problem...lower back pain that I believe would make it extremely painful to stand in one place for any length of time....sitting is fine if I can fidget around (I'm sitting cross-legged in my chair right now) and as long as I keep moving and walking, it's cool.

This seems like it would be pretty easy to accomodate in most jobs....do you have documentation that you have a problem - MRIs, x-rays, proof that you've been seen for this? It's such a common problem I cannot imagine anyone reasonable thinking this is a "put-on." Especially if you can back it up.

PS, I've heard as many horror stories about back surgeries as success stories....I'd only do surgery as a last resort. However, exercise and yoga has made a huge difference for me - the year I spent diligently working out 6 days a week at the gym was the year I had almost complete cessation of pain. I have no idea what your condition is, but sometimes various types of exercise can make a huge difference.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I would strongly suggest a GOOD ergonomic chair. Not one you buy from office depot.
With respect, I disagree. My own chair -- the one I'm sitting in at this very moment -- and the one we bought for my wife, BOTH came from places like Office Depot and Staples (the specifics escape me at the moment). BOTH chairs cost less than $125 each; try finding an "ergonomic" chair for that price!

The key is NOT whether the chair is "ergonomic", but whether it fits YOU and the specifics of the problem YOU have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search