Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Well said. I have put that person on ignore because I cannot take him/her serious. You can't reason with people like that.
I guess its much easier to have a discussion when everyone agrees with you. It requires less thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
They wish they were rocket scientists, but they are far from that. It takes a fully functioning brain to be one of those.
And I suppose you are a rocket scientist? LOL.

I guess it is also easier to blame / insult others for one's lack of success or achievement, as opposed to taking more proactive actions to change one's station in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 12:24 PM

6 posts, read 11,568 times
Really bad idea to lie. It only takes a second for an employer to discover you lied and that looks so much worse than being honest. Honesty's a big deal when getting a job these days (as it should be). If you feel like you're not qualified enough without lying, you should probably be looking elsewhere. Otherwise, if you do get the job, you might feel like you're drowning anyway because you don't know how to handle it.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleighsomers View Post
Really bad idea to lie. It only takes a second for an employer to discover you lied and that looks so much worse than being honest. Honesty's a big deal when getting a job these days (as it should be). If you feel like you're not qualified enough without lying, you should probably be looking elsewhere. Otherwise, if you do get the job, you might feel like you're drowning anyway because you don't know how to handle it.
It is not that black and white. There are people who because their gaps are too long are changing the dates they were laid off.

They're not saying they have a degree when they don't have one. Or saying they're a CPA when they're not.

People out of desperation have changed a layoff date from say Jan.2010 to Dec. 2010 because they're not hearing back due to having more than a 6 month gap.

If someone has been an Admn. Asst for the last 10 yrs their skill set isn't going to matter if they have been out of work for a year. They could do the job in their sleep.

However an HR person may very well dismiss their resume because they haven't worked in a year. Completely disregarding their 10 yrs of experience.

So they change the date to get an interview.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 11,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is not that black and white. There are people who because their gaps are too long are changing the dates they were laid off.

They're not saying they have a degree when they don't have one. Or saying they're a CPA when they're not.

People out of desperation have changed a layoff date from say Jan.2010 to Dec. 2010 because they're not hearing back due to having more than a 6 month gap.

If someone has been an Admn. Asst for the last 10 yrs their skill set isn't going to matter if they have been out of work for a year. They could do the job in their sleep.

However an HR person may very well dismiss their resume because they haven't worked in a year. Completely disregarding their 10 yrs of experience.

So they change the date to get an interview.
But that shouldn't matter nearly as much as the fact that they worked for 10 years in one job. Doesn't that speak volumes more?

And won't it still hurt them later if the employer calls to confirm dates with a reference and it's a full year off from what the person wrote?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:19 PM

70 posts, read 299,471 times
"But that shouldn't matter nearly as much as the fact that they worked for 10 years in one job. Doesn't that speak volumes more?"

exhausting.....and naive

You are actually saying the exact same thing we are

Old 06-01-2011, 02:00 PM

70 posts, read 299,471 times
Hopefulalone ....You have big time changed your tune when it comes to lying on a resume...

You were fierce in your disdain for liars in the "Can I get away with lying on my resume about supposed current employer?" thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:34 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
But that shouldn't matter nearly as much as the fact that they worked for 10 years in one job. Doesn't that speak volumes more?

And won't it still hurt them later if the employer calls to confirm dates with a reference and it's a full year off from what the person wrote?
Are you for real? Or just here to bait people?

Doesn't matter what your skill set is or how long you did what - if you've been out of work for longer than 6-8 months, you suffer discrimination. Some employers have gone so far as to advertise 'long-term unemployed need not apply.'

Long-term unemployed face stigmas in job search - USATODAY.com

Only one of many reports out there on the problem. Case in point in this article woman is over 50 and long-term unemployed. Double whammy.

Google search the problem, read up, and then come back and tell us how easy it is to get work.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:

Yes it should matter, but it doesn't work that way. IF they get an interview and that is a big IF, the focus will be on the unemployment gap.

They could have 3 jobs with no gaps and 14yrs of employment and then a recent gap of a year or more due to a layoff and guess what the focus will be?

No it shouldn't happen , but it happens all the time.

Grown men shouldn't be going online looking to have sex with minors but somehow they end up talking to Chris Hanson on Dateline.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascot123 View Post
Hopefulalone ....You have big time changed your tune when it comes to lying on a resume...

You were fierce in your disdain for liars in the "Can I get away with lying on my resume about supposed current employer?" thread
I will be the first to admit that if I couldn't get a job because of a gap, I WILL lie. However, I would prefer not to. But if it came to me or my family starving I will do what it takes to get a job and that includes lying about the gap. I would hate to have to lie, but a person has to do what they have to do.

I do know lying comes with a high risk and that is something that holds back a lot of people. They are simply afraid of getting caught. I am surrounded by lots of family members and friends without work and many of them are running out of options and lying seems to be the only way. I say go for it if there is nothing left to try.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,340 times
Why do people post these STUPID questions on CD? Do you realize they are one of the first websites that show up in Google searches? If you think employers don't google this stuff, you're out of your mind. Round of applause for all the idiots who continue to post stuff like this. I'm NOT judging people for doing what they need to do to get a job and I'm not on HR's side, but I am completely amazed to see how DUMB people can be..continuing to post all these lies and tips on here. HAND IT ON A SILVER PLATTER TO HR WHY DON'T YA?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search