Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 04:32 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I really need a job and was thinking about streching my work experience by lying and saying I worked out of state and give them a fake company and everything saying the company went out of business, Do you think employers will check to make sure its true? I REALLY need a JOB! Telling the truth about my work history has gotten me no where and everytime an employer looks at my resume they never call me back.
Goahead and lie, if that is what it takes to get your foot in the door. The downside is, some companies will make you fill out an application regardless, so that they can make you signit swearing that everything is true, and you agree to be fired if caught in a lie. If you are employed, lying may not be worth it. But unemployed? Yes, do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 12:30 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If the choice is between lying on the resume and starving I would lie if necessary to get a job.
For all of those here that wouldn't lie on their resume, would you lie in the instance hoffdano has posted about?

Old 05-28-2011, 08:36 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Everybody lies on their resumes. Those who say don't lie are either naive or stay at home moms and dads or those honesty champ who keep getting stupefied at how dishonest buggers go up the ladder while they still persist as bottom feeders
This has to be one of the dumbest things I've seen posted in this forum in a long time.

My CV is 100% accurate, and I am nowhere near the bottom of my profession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Seriously, why is this fact so hard to come to terms with? We're living in a world that plays dirty. If you want to put food on your table and survive you will have to play dirty at some point.
I guess if one has no talent or skills, then yes...I guess they have to lie about their accomplishments. Lying on one's resume simply means that they are not good enough to get a job on their own.

Quote:
yes I have an employment gap due to school and I left my previous job without putting in a two-weeks notice(i was 16 at the time and i am now 20). On top of that I only worked there for about 2 months = /. So no employer will probably want to hire me.
The fact that you were in school is experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoatpa View Post
I know someone who COMPLETELY fabricated a resume and got hired. He went so far as to buy several pre-paid cell phones and set himself up with fake "references" and even had a fake "employer" lie to the people who called for references.
Sounds like a sad and pathetic person to me.

Quote:
You are right but my life is wasting and I can not keep living unemployed
Well...what did you go to school for? What do you want to do for a living? What skills do you have that would help you get such a job? The answers to thse questions will go a long way towards helping you land a job.

Quote:
Again...it doesn't matter how one addressed it. Employers see what they want to see.They really don't care for the reason one has a gap...Employers don't care about experience and skill set. They obsess over the gaps. They want to get into things in the interview that having nothing to do with experience and skill set. This has been going on over and over again.
Yes...all employers are bad evil people who don't care about real qualifications for a job. I guess that's an easier pill to swallow than realizing one didn't get a job simply because they were not good enough when compared to the competition.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Absolutely on point (ref to bolded). Completely making up experience is not something I would recommend. Stretching gaps and doing some other things suggested by the (realistic) others, yes. Bottom line is everyone from your local grocer to a Fortune500 exec has done this. I'm sure even your local priest or rabbi has too.

Man,seriously...just do what you gotta do. That's the bottom line. You are the one who puts food on your table and pays the bills, not the posters and moralist lecturers on this or any other thread.
Agreed.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

Yes...all employers are bad evil people who don't care about real qualifications for a job. I guess that's an easier pill to swallow than realizing one didn't get a job simply because they were not good enough when compared to the competition.
I sorry but when did Mystique say that ALL employers were evil?

The fact remains that there are *some* employers that hire based on a person's employment status. There are *some* employers that will not hire someone all because they are unemployed, no matter what skills or qualifications that applicant has.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:25 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
I obviously don't believe all employers are evil so I don't know where you got that from. Don't put words in my mouth unless you personally heard me say it. I have 15 years of work history working for employers; I have chosen my employers carefully (i.e., conscientiously), granted. None of that would have occurred if your statement was true; I would have went to live in the Midwest with a bunch of gun toting anti-social hicks. I am not a fan of corporate America and Fortune500, yes. I don't believe I ever hid that fact from this thread or any other on city-data. To say that all employers hire based on "talent" or "qualifications" is an outright myth. Some do, yes. We know nepotism and cronyism are very real, just as real in big cities like New York, Detroit, etc as they are in small towns. We know discrimination is real and discrimination against the long term unemployed and discrimination based on age (40 and over) is real. If course if you're 40 and over and have been unemployed for a year or more, you probably feel like you're f*ed at this point in time. Plenty of my friends feel this way, plenty of people on this city-data thing and on Indeed.com feel they do. Do deny these facts is to deny you live in America 2011. I think if you're having a major problem getting a job right now, you would have to be really dumb NOT to try to alter your resume, because that's the only way you'll get hired. This is what a department director of a well known New York city agency recently told me at a dinner event, with a "laugh". Let him be nameless, but he's "big dog", let's just say that much.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
For all of those here that wouldn't lie on their resume, would you lie in the instance hoffdano has posted about?
I noticed that none of the naysayers answered my question whether or not they would lie on their resume or face going hungry.

I will admit that I would lie rather than to go starving. At least I can admit it.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
I sorry but when did Mystique say that ALL employers were evil?

The fact remains that there are *some* employers that hire based on a person's employment status. There are *some* employers that will not hire someone all because they are unemployed, no matter what skills or qualifications that applicant has.

Exactly. A person could have a solid 15 yr work history and gotten laid off in Jan 2010 and the interviewer will focus on the gap.

It is also a "no brainer" as far as risk goes if someone changes the dates on their resume vs. running out money.

People have changed their layoff dates on their resume and they start getting responses.

If they were doing the same job for the last seven years as an Admin. Asst.(as an example) that year is not going to matter in regards to experience.

I also find it amusing how much credit HR is given. Some people act like they're the CIA.

Most HR people I have dealt with couldn't pour water out of glass if the instructions were written on the bottom.

Yet they're going to launch some huge investigation on every applicant.

Unless someone is being considered for a high level executive position, most of your average office jobs will require a couple of references.

I wouldn't advice making up experience that you don't have, but for someone who has experience in a certain field changing the dates if they're not getting any interviews, go for it.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:43 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
I noticed that none of the naysayers answered my question whether or not they would lie on their resume or face going hungry.

I will admit that I would lie rather than to go starving. At least I can admit it.
Would you be willing to make that lie a truth? If you don't have a certain qualification such as a certification or skill, would you attempt to attain it after your lie? I guess at least then you would be covered if someone ever tried to verify.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:46 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Tober, tone it down a bit bud. Just because someone has a different view on this matter than you, it doesn't mean this is how they feel. Like seain mentioned above, people give HR way too much credit, as if they are programmed machines that don't allow ill-advised human emotion to penetrate their decision making process. It does happen, I am almost certain of it. Not all the time, but it does happen more than we probably realize. You're a psychology major, you should understand this concept even better than most of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search