Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 01:49 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times

Advertisements

There was one C-D poster who insisted that recruiters were angelic, but contrasting views show that many aren't that great. companies will only pay top $ for great candidates, which these lousy recruiters simply cannot attract. Plus, such superstars can often find great work on their own. They do a lousy job, AND the company has to pay them a fee... nope. Not getting blood from a stone. Hire folks who know how to properly hire hires. It ain't easy even for experienced individuals, and bad hires still happen. But at least they cut out the middle man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
You should never pay a fee. The hiring company pays.
That's because you don't pay them directly, doesn't mean it isn't coming out of your pockets another way. By paying that external recruiter/staffing agency, that chunk of change that would've been part of your salary will now be missing. One of 3 things will happen, which are basically...
1) It comes out of your salary
2) it comes out of the recruiter's fees (don't count on this of course)
3) The company ups their salary to cover #1 and #2.

For #3, most companies need to stay competitive and not be paying top dollar for every candidate, so don't count on this either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
If an outside recruiter had contacted me about you and I didn't already know you, I'd be morally obligated to go through them if I wanted to hire you. Not everyone feels that way but I think it's the right thing to do.
Many of the recruiters I've dealt with are no good, so I don't feel I owe them anything. The ones I've blacklisted are those that have me come down to their staffing agency, collect data, especially unscrupulous data like HM contact info they can hound for leads (I've had a couple of my professional references confirm this), ask about all the places I've applied to (so they can hound those places... this is a waste of my time strictly for their benefit). I haven't dealt with many recruiters, but 99% of them are this way. When I contact them every 2 to 4 weeks for updates, they never respond to me. All emails direct me to phone them... I guess they don't want to leave paper trail or something

Many don't have me sign a digital form saying they have the exclusive right to represent me. When I ask them of this, they shrug it off. No written representation... I'm going with another recruiter who will. Or I'll just apply directly if I know the listing. Otherwise, they leave me hanging while chasing after better candidates.

One time, I've had 4 recruiters from different agencies call me within a 1 hour time frame, as some hot listing just flashed by them. I went with the first one, telling the others that I'm already represented, only to not hear back from the 1st one ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 06:36 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
1. is becoming very common with these temp to hire scams. Even if they hire, which is a really big if, they have shifted the cost of recruitment onto the candidate.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:59 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
You cannot apply to a job through a recruiter AND their job site.

Two applications = double submittal = you're automatically rejected.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:46 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
You cannot apply to a job through a recruiter AND their job site.

Two applications = double submittal = you're automatically rejected.
That’s false and would make no sense for the company. I got hired with a company who I had a double submittal with. The recruiter had to back out of the hiring process because they had my application on file.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:09 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,116,128 times
I say this with all due respect to the few recruiters out there worth their weight in gold, but most recruiters are not very good. Staffing agencies hire just about anyone, meaning recruiting becomes a fall back job option for people with few other great options to begin with. These aren't necessarily people who are knowledgable about the job landscape, or passionate about the work. They're just trying to get a paycheck. This often results in them not behaving in the candidate's best interest.

Most of these agencies pay on commission, so the recruiters always have to feign being busy by tracking down new candidates to put forward to prospective clients. The way to do this is by mass emailing people via LinkedIn, Indeed, or other job boards they have easy access to. Often times, I don't think they have an actual job they're submitting you for. I think they're attempting to woo companies into using them by telling them they have someone they think might be a good fit.

While I think the intention is there for this to be a good business model, it doesn't work well for a variety of reasons. For one, staffing agencies have a difficult time attracting talented candidates, because talent doesn't need a 3rd party to get noticed. Without talented candidates, there aren't a lot of bonafide organizations that use them to fill serious FTE positions. Most of the clients I see using staffing agencies are typically large, old school organizations who regularly use temps/contractors to fill in the necessary gaps within their operations. They generally just need a warm body to help fill in temporarily, so they seldom care who they're getting as long as they show up on time and can do some menial clerical work.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:38 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
That’s false and would make no sense for the company. I got hired with a company who I had a double submittal with. The recruiter had to back out of the hiring process because they had my application on file.
I was wondering about this too. I mentioned in my post above, amongst many recruiters I tried to work with, only 1 had me sign a form that says I was being formally represented by them. If things get to a legal standpoints, there wouldn't be any grounds for either side to claim who was really first. I wouldn't want a company circumventing legit hiring agencies, but the most I get from a hiring agency recruiter is no more than an email, or a cold call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I say this with all due respect to the few recruiters out there worth their weight in gold, but most recruiters are not very good. Staffing agencies hire just about anyone, meaning recruiting becomes a fall back job option for people with few other great options to begin with. These aren't necessarily people who are knowledgable about the job landscape, or passionate about the work. They're just trying to get a paycheck. This often results in them not behaving in the candidate's best interest.
For one place, everyone at their desks were really young. Pretty much still in college, or fresh out of undergrad. The one consolation I had while visiting those places was I may be unemployed, but at least I'm not working there!

Old 11-06-2021, 11:39 AM

24,559 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Third party contracts go into depth regarding candidate ownership. You know what you have been told.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:01 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
Technically, the recruiter could sue and have evidence of contacting you before you filed your application. If you already applied before the recruiter contacted you, then yeah, back out time.

Also, if you apply for the same job with two (or more) third party recruiters, you WILL get rejected for double submittal. The company doesn't want to deal with lawsuits from two recruiters.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Technically, the recruiter could sue and have evidence of contacting you before you filed your application. If you already applied before the recruiter contacted you, then yeah, back out time.

Also, if you apply for the same job with two (or more) third party recruiters, you WILL get rejected for double submittal. The company doesn't want to deal with lawsuits from two recruiters.
Without a written or even verbal agreement to represent you, they have no case. They can't just come out of the woodwork and say that's my client pay me.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:55 PM

I would generally advise bypassing recruiters especially the burger flipper equivalents from the staffing agencies. They are liars and flakes. You could easily sign an agreement and have them represent you only to never do so. Most of them suck at their jobs which is why turnover is so high with them especially at staffing agencies which hire warm bodies to be recruiters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search