U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 01:07 PM

43 posts, read 351,364 times

Advertisements

Hi,

A recruiter from a staffing company emailed me saying they had a position available for one of their clients and he found my resume on a job search website. He sent me the job description and after that, I found the job posting directly from the employer's website.

What's in my best interest:

Should I call back the recruiter from the staffing company and go through them to try and get that job or should I contact the company directly. I kind of feel bad doing that. AM I going to be charged a fee if a staffing company finds me a job?

Is it considered unethical if I contact the company directly? How is the recruiting process when you go though a staffing agency?

Thanks a lot!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 01:27 PM

14,644 posts, read 29,095,946 times
I would contact the company directly.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:34 PM

339 posts, read 576,921 times
Stick with the recruiter.

Long time ago, I was looking to move from PA to AL, sending my resume everywhere. A recruiter called me, arranged a meeting with a client, who ended up offering me a job direct (not a problem with the recruiter). Then the company didn't want to pay the recruiter because they said that they found me first, since I applied directly to them before I applied through the recruiter. Not sure how it turned out, but there could end up being some bad blood or other issues if you skip over the recruiter once they've given you the details of the job.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:37 PM

19,011 posts, read 27,556,375 times
I've done both. Whichever happens first. The company won't take you seriously though, like a recruiter would. The latter always has a resume monkey sitting and reading every line in the resumes.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:46 AM

436 posts, read 1,270,364 times
You should never pay a fee. The hiring company pays.

If an outside recruiter had contacted me about you and I didn't already know you, I'd be morally obligated to go through them if I wanted to hire you. Not everyone feels that way but I think it's the right thing to do.

Wouldn't hurt to use a recruiter if they've been given the job order from the company. I wouldn't use them solely though if you're looking for a job elsewhere. My company rarely (twice in 4 years) has used a staffing company for perm placement. That's my job but sometimes they could come in handy. ��

Old 10-08-2015, 11:38 AM

13,524 posts, read 19,683,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
I've done both. Whichever happens first. The company won't take you seriously though, like a recruiter would. The latter always has a resume monkey sitting and reading every line in the resumes.

Same here -- I've done both. The recruiter might or might nor have internal access to the company.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:01 PM

162 posts, read 169,243 times
If you gave the recruiter consent to represent you for the role then you are technically legally obligated to work through the recruiter.

If he just contacted you about a job that was available and you happen to come across it posted online which you can directly apply to it then you are free to apply to it. If you do this I don't think that the recruiter can no longer represent you for that role you applied for.

There are pros and cons for both situations. On the first situation the recruiter may have direct access and great influence in the hiring for the company he maybe representing which would be a benefit to you working with them. The downside is they may not have direct access to the company and just fishing around for candidates to submit your resume online. You can do this on your own.

Recruiters make their money by finding suitable candidates to fill positions clients are looking to fill. They typically get a percentage of the negotiated salary which could be in upwards of 20%. So if you were to be represented by a recruiter for a specific position but later choose to side skirt them and directly work with that client. In essence you have stolen money from them if you were to get hired. For example if it was a position with a salary of $100k that is $20k the client would have to pay the recruiter for hiring you.

There are good and bad recruiters out there. So be sure you know who you are working with.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:02 PM

856 posts, read 896,289 times
Exclamation Apply Direct or Go Thru Recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchargers View Post
Hi,

A recruiter from a staffing company emailed me saying they had a position available for one of their clients and he found my resume on a job search website. He sent me the job description and after that, I found the job posting directly from the employer's website.

What's in my best interest:

Should I call back the recruiter from the staffing company and go through them to try and get that job or should I contact the company directly. I kind of feel bad doing that. AM I going to be charged a fee if a staffing company finds me a job?

Is it considered unethical if I contact the company directly? How is the recruiting process when you go though a staffing agency?

Thanks a lot!

It is unethical to go directly to the company after a recruiter has taken the time to find and identify you as a viable candidate and then called you.

Applicant-paid employment agencies died out long ago. The fee is always paid by the hiring company.

The reason you want to go through the recruiter is because that person is already talking directly to the hiring company and has their ear. S/he is working directly with the Hiring Authority and/or HR. What could be better than having your resume being handed directly to the HA and/or HR?

Applying online means it is possible the person on the receiving end may not see your resume or deem you not suitable for the position.

Also, it is possible the recruiter has already submitted your name to 'lock you in' as you being that recruiter's candidate.

If you apply on your own now, you risk a conflict as was described in one of the other posts here on this thread.

Never mind whether it is ethical or not for that recruiter to have submitted your name already. It may have happened and if so, you would be derailing the referral process by now going around the recruiter.

Also, that recruiter may be recruiting regularly for that company and if so, you have an even better opportunity for being seen since that recruiter probably has a track record for bringing them good people.

So reply to the recruiter.

Paul.........

Old 10-08-2015, 12:05 PM

856 posts, read 896,289 times
Exclamation Apply Direct or Go Thru Recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susman View Post
Recruiters make their money by finding suitable candidates to fill positions clients are looking to fill. They typically get a percentage of the negotiated salary which could be in upwards of 20%.

33.3%

Paul......

Old 10-08-2015, 04:46 PM

29 posts, read 29,512 times
Go with the recruiter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search