U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2011, 09:54 AM
 
2,282 posts, read 3,787,924 times
Reputation: 1669

Advertisements

In another thread on the Unemployment board, a couple posters suggested that about only 10% of the jobs that exist will be given to an applicant who applies on an online job site. The other 90% or so will go to those people with connections in the company.

First, do you believe this is true in today's economy?

If so, do you believe it is even worth job hunting via the job boards?

Or would you be better off spending most of your time socializing in hopes of making that lucky connection?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 AM
 
24,497 posts, read 39,408,243 times
Reputation: 12902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
In another thread on the Unemployment board, a couple posters suggested that about only 10% of the jobs that exist will be given to an applicant who applies on an online job site. The other 90% or so will go to those people with connections in the company.
First, do you believe this is true in today's economy?

Yes

If so, do you believe it is even worth job hunting via the job boards?

Yes. 1 in 10 is still better than nothing.

Or would you be better off spending most of your time socializing in hopes of making that lucky connection?

I recommend socializing as well. There's not much "luck" involved as there are people skills and the ability to kiss ass. I certainly think you would get farther creating connections than you would on a job board. People like to hire people they know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Durham, NC
1,049 posts, read 3,663,412 times
Reputation: 732
I don't believe it's true. I've found all of my positions via job boards. Although lately, I'm finding that Craigslist is better than Monster/Career Builder. I used CL exclusively in the last month or so when I was looking for a better job.... and I netted 10 separate interviews, including my new position, just from that source. It might be field-dependent, though (I was searching exclusively for IT).

The only luck I've ever had with networking was kind of odd.. someone did a targeted search on LinkedIn and I fit the criteria, but I wasn't interested in picking up and moving. I guess that's sort of networking, even if I didn't know the guy personally.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 11:19 AM
 
9,732 posts, read 9,221,591 times
Reputation: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
In another thread on the Unemployment board, a couple posters suggested that about only 10% of the jobs that exist will be given to an applicant who applies on an online job site. The other 90% or so will go to those people with connections in the company.

First, do you believe this is true in today's economy?

If so, do you believe it is even worth job hunting via the job boards?

Or would you be better off spending most of your time socializing in hopes of making that lucky connection?

What is stopping you from making one of those "connections"? A connection may be as simple as a job posted by a headhunter or placement company.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 11:30 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,578 posts, read 44,272,010 times
Reputation: 16244
lI don't believe that number. I think it would be much higher than 10%.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 11:33 AM
 
2,282 posts, read 3,787,924 times
Reputation: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
lI don't believe that number. I think it would be much higher than 10%.
I was thinking more like 50/50 maybe., but that's based off my own experience.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 11:34 AM
 
2,282 posts, read 3,787,924 times
Reputation: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
A connection may be as simple as a job posted by a headhunter or placement company.
My interpretation of what they were saying is that these are contacts on a more intimate level. But yeah, this is also an option for sure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 11:38 AM
 
3,573 posts, read 6,229,902 times
Reputation: 3463
I would do both. If you want to move back home, get ahold of all your old contacts and let them know you're interested in moving back. Sign up for Linkedin and other networking job sites. Check CL jobs on the city you want to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 AM
 
96 posts, read 302,347 times
Reputation: 108
Do both. Join as many groups as possible and meet as many people as possible, but don't give up on applying to jobs you find online. I've interviewed for multiple positions where I just sent in an application - more, in fact, than I've interviewed for when a job wasn't posted and I had an internal contact. I know people who have found positions through meeting someone at a school alumni event and I know people who have found all of their positions solely through answering job postings. I also know people who have found positions based on the organization that they were coming from - i.e., the hiring manager or others in the organization didn't know the candidate personally, but they knew that they liked to hire people from X organization.

The 10% number seems low to me - based only on my personal experience though.

By far, the job boards where I have had the most success have all been industry-specific or city-specific. The ones where I have paid subscriptions also tend to be more valuable than Indeed, Monster, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 01:11 PM
 
9,732 posts, read 9,221,591 times
Reputation: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
My interpretation of what they were saying is that these are contacts on a more intimate level. But yeah, this is also an option for sure.

Connections are the biggest selling point for fraternities and sororities while in college. They develop huge networks to help members get a foot in the door when approaching a company.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:51 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top