Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 03:07 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times

Advertisements

I hate reading these stories about people who were offered a position and then had it retracted a few weeks after working. WTF kind of sense does that MAKE?!

In my mind, once an employer offers a position, a background check should be completed within a couple of days. I have worked at an agency for HIGH rank investment firms and the process generally takes 2 days (between criminal background check and having them take a drug test, etc.) at the VERY most.

Here's the thing. I'm job hunting and don't want interviewers contacting my current employer. I heard that most understand this, although I'm not sure if that's right. So what if I'm offered a job and everything comes back perfect, I start working and 2 weeks down the line they "retract" it because they called my current company and didn't receive a stellar reference or something of the likes? It doesn't make sense to start working and for them to complete a background check after, but at the same time, I really prefer for them NOT to contact my company until I am working with them, and by that point, do they HONESTLY need to bother?

I'm not just speaking for myself. I'm curious to know if any of you have had a job offer retracted, why and what you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 10:11 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
I have never had a job offer rescinded, but I had a candidate who had his job offer rescinded after he had begun employment. I have also seen the folks who have been let go because of unsatisfactory background checks.

The guy was someone I had placed when I was a headhunter. The position was a full time permanent position-- he had lied about his graduate degree -- or the lack thereof.

He probably did not need to have the MBA, but the fact that he lied about it and continued to lie about it is what really did him in. He started worked-- because they had given him a tenative pass. They just could not validate the grad degree. He should have at that time come clean, but then he tried to provide more information I guess thinking they would just.. not bother with it.

The problem was that his excuses about the school no longer existed was not enough- and they end up finding out he basically "purchased" the degree from a degree mill. All kinds of badness there.

I work for a very large financial services company-- although I am far removed from anything investment or financial services related. When I used to work in payroll I would see the checks we would have to process for those who did not pass a successful background check.

Problem is is that for the most part the company would give people the benefit of the doubt. They would have run the major background check first-- and if something came up they would give you the time to basically provide proof or more information. By this point some folks were already working-- so when their lies ran out of time they would end up being let go.

Contacting your present employer is for a reference. Many companies today when doing a verification of employment do not even ever talk to a person. Plus your HR department even if they do physically answer the phone would not know if this is for a new job or for a verification of employment for a mortgage, apartment, etc.

If you are so concerned about reference then you provide references for other colleagues, former employers, etc.

Most background checks that work out easy-- only take a couple days. But when they find things that are not quite right or meshing with your application this is when it gets longer. I had a friend who worked overseas for a few years-- it was difficult for them to contact the correct people, so then she had to find documentation of this work experience (old paychecks, etc).

Old 06-10-2011, 10:49 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,470 times
Have you ever had a job offer retracted?

Only once, but then the job offer was extended to me again by the end of the day. It just goes to show some managers have their heads up their b*tts. The job paid well, it had excellent benefits (I've never seen benefits that great since!) and the location was very ideal for me. I was tickled pink that I was told I had the job. Then 2 hours later I got a call back saying the manager that interviewed me didn't like how I took notes when he showed me their computer system and I yawned while we were walking around the facility. Unbelievable! I was beyond upset! Then he had a change of heart again and he told me to "show up" the next morning if I still wanted the job. So I swallowed my pride and took the job. I out lasted that manager though. I stayed their almost 10 yrs.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:55 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
I just spent one of my precious few days off interviewing all day (10AM to 4PM) for a position and they just called me yesterday and said we found someone internal at the last second to fill it. I even had to drive to to separate sites for the interview. I am livid with them.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:04 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I just spent one of my precious few days off interviewing all day (10AM to 4PM) for a position and they just called me yesterday and said we found someone internal at the last second to fill it. I even had to drive to to separate sites for the interview. I am livid with them.
Oh this happens ALL the time in NYC! You would THINK that they searched internally BEFORE wasting others time.

I went to an interview and an intern for MY position showed up that day. They were running late and I'm guessing I wasn't supposed to see her, but instead of canceling, the idiots wasted my time. Interviewing for a position that was already filled by an intern...she was starting the SAME day I came in to interview.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:10 AM

402 posts, read 1,406,005 times
Cool not the job--just the pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
I hate reading these stories about people who were offered a position and then had it retracted a few weeks after working. . . . I'm curious to know if any of you have had a job offer retracted, why and what you did.
I have had the "pay scale" retracted. I think it was on the second day at work--the boss said that she miscalculated and could only offer me X amount.
I stayed because I had already turned down the other offers. In the end, it worked out well.

I have heard of MANY people starting a new job while on vacation or a personal leave of absence in order to see if the new job is REALLY everything that was promised.

My husband has had to rescind CONDITIONAL offers. He tells the applicants, that employment is based up sastisfactory completion of drug and background screening. He ALWAYS asks, is there anything that might show up in a criminal background check or drug screening that you haven't divulged.
Some people think that checks aren't really done and they lie.
Then, they get the unpleasant call, saying you were NOT honest on your job application and at the interview. I'm sorry, but we cannot hire you.

Last edited by Justin Time; 06-10-2011 at 11:18 AM..

Old 06-12-2011, 11:42 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
I think it would be fantastic if employers had the sense to do a background check before extending an offer.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:57 AM

36 posts, read 306,630 times
the whole background checking routine is out of control....

Old 06-12-2011, 01:43 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Please they'll be tracking down your third grade teacher at this rate. I'm surprised they don't put you on a treadmill and have you bench press for physical condition testing.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:48 PM

36 posts, read 306,630 times
LOL....

I cant stand the people on here that defend all these policies of the big corp.... pathetic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search