Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:23 AM

994 posts, read 1,830,774 times

Advertisements

Sorry Charles, perhaps I was being rude and overreacted, but I just was excited. I just wanted to share this excitement with this board as I post frequently. So my apologies for being cynical and rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 07:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
Why do you ask for "our opinion" and then make sarcastic remarks when we give them? Sorry it is all cheerleadering you on. Would you rather people just lie and say "Oh it is in the bag"! Next time, don't ask for our opinions if you don't really want it. Reality is, you may not get it. They gave good advise to keep on applying for other jobs, just in case. I have had similar experience. Had a great interview. I felt I connected with both the HR and the boss. I did not get it. Hopefully that won't happen to you and you do get the job. Just be prepared in case you don't.
Exactly. The other thing is when it is too friendly that is not always a good sign.

Maybe it is a very small company, but joking around and acting like your best buddies doesn't mean you have a job.

I had a panel interview where the person who was the boss sat stone faced and took notes, the other two were polite but by no means friendly....I got the job.

I have had a couple of interviews were people were very friendly and had some laughs and never heard back.

IMO, I prefer more serious.

You're interviewing for a job, not trying to make friends.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:17 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
So there was this job posted up on Monday, where I knew I would be a perfect fit.
So went to the interview, went fantastic. I interviewed with the HR and the person who would be my supervisor. Man we laughed, told some jokes, really enjoyed the interview, it went fantastic. At the end they told me that they would like a second round interview next week. Then the person who would be my supervisor left. I stayed with the HR person and they told me they would like to go over benefits, my compensation, etc. She also told me "I think you are a perfect fit for this position."
What do you all think?
Here's what I'm wondering:

How did you know it was a perfect fit? Nice coincidence that HR said the same thing.

How did you build rapport with the interviewers - what kinds of jokes did you tell?

As far a HR saying you're a perfect fit for the position...sounds like you have their seal of approval. Alas someone else makes the decision to hire or not and so until the contract is signed, it's just fluff. But at least you have a positive attitude about it.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Here's what I'm wondering:

How did you know it was a perfect fit? Nice coincidence that HR said the same thing.

How did you build rapport with the interviewers - what kinds of jokes did you tell?

As far a HR saying you're a perfect fit for the position...sounds like you have their seal of approval. Alas someone else makes the decision to hire or not and so until the contract is signed, it's just fluff. But at least you have a positive attitude about it.

I knew it was a perfect fit because the industry they work in is one that I am really passionate about and my experience was one that fit perfectly with what they were asking for in their requirements.

Really didn't tell jokes, by joking around I meant we laughed quite a bit. For instance, they asked me about what I like to do in my spare time. One of the things I told them was that I like to write and that I am working on a novel. Then the person who would be my boss, said they were working on a novel too and they also like writing. I just then explained that it was my passion, and that although I like to write, it's just so hard to get time to write it out and that I would probably be 40 by the time I finish it (she agreed and laughed). Then the HR asked me about what my novel was about so then I explained it to them and through that there were some more laughs. We weren't telling jokes per say but having a light conversation.

Also I forgot to mention. When asking about growth in the company I told them I was interested in growing in certain areas. They told me some of my specific skills would be perfect for an area that they are looking to expand in. Then they told me that the current VP of the company started out in the company through the same position and that they could set something up with him to discuss how he grew and got to where he is now (FYI, didn't know much about him as he is not someone I would be working with). Looked him up and realized that I know the VP . He used to workout at the gym where I worked at as a front desk person while in college, and I will say this much, I was pretty friendly to everyone and had a good relationship with all the members.

I know I don't have it, until I am told so. However, the one thing that has given me the good vibes is:

1. The simple fact that I am already on my way to a second round interview when the job hasn't even posted for an entire week yet. Then everything else went so well.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. The other thing is when it is too friendly that is not always a good sign.

Maybe it is a very small company, but joking around and acting like your best buddies doesn't mean you have a job.

I had a panel interview where the person who was the boss sat stone faced and took notes, the other two were polite but by no means friendly....I got the job.

I have had a couple of interviews were people were very friendly and had some laughs and never heard back.

IMO, I prefer more serious.

You're interviewing for a job, not trying to make friends.
Sometimes being too serious can also be bad. I guess it depends on the company and who is interviewing you. The people interviewing me were very laid back and very friendly so it made me comfortable enough to do the same.

I mean if the people interviewing you like to have light conversations and you then act so serious, they might not feel like you are a good fit because they might feel that you are too serious. Then there is the opposite, some people think you are too funny or friendly.

I wasn't going out of my way to be funny, it just happened that our personalities clicked very well from what I can see.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:22 AM

72 posts, read 100,527 times
I'm going to take a different route from everyone else and say that you have a high chance of getting offered the job based on the fact that they want a second interview with you......but I would still advise you to keep applying for jobs because in this economy nothing is for certain...Good Luck!

Old 06-14-2011, 01:23 PM

6,802 posts, read 9,350,606 times
I think it sounds like you have a decent chance of receiving an offer. Post back and let us know what happens!

Old 06-14-2011, 01:29 PM

Thanks so much guys! I appreciate the support! My second round interview is tomorrow so I will let you know how that goes. Hopefully by the end of the interview they will have a deciscion, hopefully in my favor!

Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 PM

386 posts, read 1,052,191 times
I hope it goes well for you. What field are you in, and where do you live?

Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 AM

123 posts, read 245,647 times
all the best!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search