U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,528,813 times

Advertisements

You know what? If a job is MEANT for you, then it's yours and there's nothing that will be able to stop it.

This isn't the self-help positive thinking crap that has destroyed america either. It's something I truly believe.

All you can do is your BEST. Half of america has bad credit. Please believe that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 08:57 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,078,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
I was thinking about why so many people can not find jobs working for corporations and it's not surprising when you look at all the requirements and background checks you half to hurdle. Lets examine....

** You can't be too old because insurance it's too costly to insure.

** You can't be too young because most likely you don't have the experience.

** You need to be qualified yet you can't be over qualified either other wise you might leave too soon.

** If you are qualified you must work for less than expected due to market demand.

** You must have good credit although many now don't either because they ran out of money due to being out of work and or they lost there home due to the housing crash.

** You must not have any criminal record and that includes small misdemeanors DUI, drunk in public, open container, minor in possession of alcohol, less than an ounce of pot..etc

** If your job includes driving you can't have too many infractions like speeding tickets or accidents for insurance reasons.

And lastly and probably the worst is they not interested in hiring you simply because you not employed, yes it's true employers figure you must not be employable if you've been out of work for more than 6 months.

So basically you have to be young, experienced, willing too work for less, perfect person with good credit and lastly, already working
I agree with you completely--however, you voted on one of my thread polls and marked "YES" that you thought there were lots of nursing jobs.

What in the world were you thinking? Can you go back over there and explain?

Anyway--great thread.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:21 AM

859 posts, read 1,709,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
I agree with you completely--however, you voted on one of my thread polls and marked "YES" that you thought there were lots of nursing jobs.

What in the world were you thinking? Can you go back over there and explain?

Anyway--great thread.
I thought there was a lot of nursing jobs, no?

Old 07-01-2011, 10:25 AM

8,520 posts, read 15,431,828 times
Quote:
I was thinking about why so many people can not find jobs working for corporations and it's not surprising when you look at all the requirements and background checks you half to hurdle. Lets examine....

** You can't be too old because insurance it's too costly to insure.

** You can't be too young because most likely you don't have the experience.

** You need to be qualified yet you can't be over qualified either other wise you might leave too soon.

** If you are qualified you must work for less than expected due to market demand.

** You must have good credit although many now don't either because they ran out of money due to being out of work and or they lost there home due to the housing crash.

** You must not have any criminal record and that includes small misdemeanors DUI, drunk in public, open container, minor in possession of alcohol, less than an ounce of pot..etc

** If your job includes driving you can't have too many infractions like speeding tickets or accidents for insurance reasons.

And lastly and probably the worst is they not interested in hiring you simply because you not employed, yes it's true employers figure you must not be employable if you've been out of work for more than 6 months.

So basically you have to be young, experienced, willing too work for less, perfect person with good credit and lastly, already working

...And to be honest.......working for a big corp is not all of that. You turn into a stiff droid. Who wants to live like that?

Well some people do, they need to make payments on the over mortgaged house and 7 year old Lexus.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Just work for themselves and not rely on others to hire them. You'd be surprised how many people complain about employers and still choose to put up with them
One of our department contract janitors was on medical leave hernia that he developed while doing his current job. He left for 4 weeks and came back to the same work that caused him to leave.

I told him to ask for a new positon.......he said "oh I'm ok, I just want to keep everyone happy". I said this guy is a fool and a half. Than from time to time I'll hime him grip about his low salary.

Based on what I've heard come out of his mouth, he had multiple DUI's to point he can't drive ever again. I think if he loses this job he may never be employed again. I think that's what he thinks. He's 55y/o...........man that is no way to live.

He thinks he's a old man, he says things like "my time is up, it's time for you young guys to run the world"...I said man, you're only 55y/o...my dad is 67 and he's not thinking about slowing down.

Man, I never want to live like that. Although I am happy work and have nice money coming in, I have no desire to get caught in that for too much longer. God is my witness, I will buy my first business by the end of next year.

Screw working for someone........at my age 37, it has worn me out. At times I don't even feel like I can truley be myself. It's like you have to have this fake persona and it's very robotic.

Everyone that works in stuffy corporate environemnts are infected with that disease.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:21 PM

798 posts, read 1,045,180 times
Quote:
My point is, what are these people suppose to do with themselves? Try the public sector? Yeah right... they have all the same requirements plus affirmative action quotas.
Background checks vis-a-vis affirmative action...Paradoxical. If you know my reputation, you sure know what I mean.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:35 PM

23,880 posts, read 19,925,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
One of our department contract janitors was on medical leave hernia that he developed while doing his current job. He left for 4 weeks and came back to the same work that caused him to leave.

I told him to ask for a new positon.......he said "oh I'm ok, I just want to keep everyone happy". I said this guy is a fool and a half. Than from time to time I'll hime him grip about his low salary.

Based on what I've heard come out of his mouth, he had multiple DUI's to point he can't drive ever again. I think if he loses this job he may never be employed again. I think that's what he thinks. He's 55y/o...........man that is no way to live.

He thinks he's a old man, he says things like "my time is up, it's time for you young guys to run the world"...I said man, you're only 55y/o...my dad is 67 and he's not thinking about slowing down.

Man, I never want to live like that. Although I am happy work and have nice money coming in, I have no desire to get caught in that for too much longer. God is my witness, I will buy my first business by the end of next year.

Screw working for someone........at my age 37, it has worn me out. At times I don't even feel like I can truley be myself. It's like you have to have this fake persona and it's very robotic.

Everyone that works in stuffy corporate environemnts are infected with that disease.
I think anyone looking to enter the workforce within the walls of corporate America should view this. If you play your cards right, you can make a great salary working for some of these businesses. At the end of the day though, how many of these types are really happy? It's almost like your required to hand over your soul at the door. Some people just decide it's not worth the money and retreat to something that pays less, others want to maintain their materialistic desires and continue to put themselves through it all. I don't think I could stomach it though.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I think anyone looking to enter the workforce within the walls of corporate America should view this. If you play your cards right, you can make a great salary working for some of these businesses. At the end of the day though, how many of these types are really happy? It's almost like your required to hand over your soul at the door. Some people just decide it's not worth the money and retreat to something that pays less, others want to maintain their materialistic desires and continue to put themselves through it all. I don't think I could stomach it though.
Hi Andy,

my appologies for all of the typos...I was trying to get tit all in before I forgot.

Working at that big corps in not all that. IT's a hard pill to swallow. You're EASILY replaced.....there are a lot of opportunities out there that pay great but you work less and deal with less stress, seriuosly, they do exist.

I have a few things working now.......pray that it's my ticket out of the rat race on to a more enjoyable, enriched life.

Some do make it to the top but MOST don't. What happens is they start "living comfortable" and get the 30year mortgage, the middle class foreign car, and they end up having to stay put even if they don't want to.

They pay off one car and trade it in for another.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:54 PM

23,880 posts, read 19,925,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Hi Andy,

my appologies for all of the typos...I was trying to get tit all in before I forgot.

Working at that big corps in not all that. IT's a hard pill to swallow. You're EASILY replaced.....there are a lot of opportunities out there that pay great but you work less and deal with less stress, seriuosly, they do exist.

I have a few things working now.......pray that it's my ticket out of the rat race on to a more enjoyable, enriched life.

Some do make it to the top but MOST don't. What happens is they start "living comfortable" and get the 30year mortgage, the middle class foreign car, and they end up having to stay put even if they don't want to.

They pay off one car and trade it in for another.
It seems like everyone is easily replaced nowadays, and there are always people willing to work for less. H1-B visas allow major corps to bring in the cheapest bidder, and the worker is powerless to demand better compensation when they realize how little their wage affords them. If they speak up, the corp just ships them back and brings in another. This has literally pushed workers in every profession out.

To me, smaller companies are where it's at. They treat their workers well, respect them, take the time to learn a bit about you, and will make the investment in training you well. They will also put up with your shortcomings, because we all have them. A big corp won't do any of this, and if they don't like you, they know they can fire you and bring in another within a week or two. It makes me sad to see large corps buying up, or driving out smaller businesses I have taken pay cuts to work at smaller mom and pop style companies, and I don't regret it in the least.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:17 AM

3,653 posts, read 4,323,814 times
Corporate world is pretty soul-sucking.... hell just the amount of ass-kissing I see everyday from my colleagues to get noticed by the senior management is nauseating. I don't do that, nor do I walk about the various cubicles and make small chit-chat with everyone like I see others doing. I stay at my desk, do my work, and knock off at the end of the day. Guess I'm not quite fit for the corporate environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search