Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 PM

36 posts, read 306,630 times

Advertisements

tober - right on cue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 05:40 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ninety percent of us have jobs so we're doing something right.
Of the 90%, how many of you landed your jobs before these asinine requirements became the common rule?

And also, of the 90%, how many are fully employed at one job?

Old 06-13-2011, 05:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Most of these aren't new.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I once saw a futuristic movie, where they would just swab your cheek, DNA determined what type of job you could get, where you could live...

It is not that far off.

I thank god every day that I have a good job. I know I am lucky. It took work to get where I am, and sacrifice. Believe me. No one handed me this job on a platter. And I work routinely 60 hours a week. These days, employers get their money's worth, that is for sure.

We are all one paycheck away from collecting UI. That is the new mindset, don't buy a house, because if you lose your job, you won't be able to move to get a new one.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 PM

880 posts, read 1,799,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Actually - his point is valid. Yes, the economy sucks and a lot of people are trying to find work and are having financial issues. But the simple truth is that a lot of people are doing quite well, both professionally and financially, and many people are interviewing for jobs and are getting them.

I can cite plenty of anecdotes to disprove these points. I know a fair number of people, including myself, who have landed corporate positions in the last 1.5 years that were unemployed at the time they were hired, were in their mid-30's to early-40's, and do not feel they are being underpaid. Can't speak for credit scores as I don't ask my friends about that. And, yes, more experienced people are more likely to get an offer - that is nothing new.
They may not feel underpaid but it looks like they are in the age range of what is considered employable. People that are 16-25 and 45+ are hit the hardest.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Most of these aren't new.
I believe prior to the Internet becoming mainstream (early 90's) I don't think things like credit and background checks were as commonly used. Nowadays you can find out anything about anyone easily, quick, and inexpensive.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
The biggest issue these days are the online applications. I much prefer going in and personally turning the application in myself and speaking with the manager.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
I believe prior to the Internet becoming mainstream (early 90's) I don't think things like credit and background checks were as commonly used. Nowadays you can find out anything about anyone easily, quick, and inexpensive.
Yes, there is LOT's of second hand data all over the net and some of it may even be for the particular "Jason Smith from Elmira" that you think you're interviewing or considering...

But when you go to Jason's prior employers and ask for corroborating data or anything of consequence about Jason and specially the subjective things... more often you'll hit a blank wall of vague and inconclusive.

CONSEQUENTLY... employers look to what sources remain for accurate and objective data on the specific person.

What's there is there and how well an employer uses the data is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
The biggest issue these days are the online applications.
I much prefer going in and personally turning the application in myself and speaking with the manager.
Agreed.
Somehow or other... getting your face in front of the decision maker is the ONLY way to get hired.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Of the 90%, how many of you landed your jobs before these asinine requirements became the common rule?

And also, of the 90%, how many are fully employed at one job?
I was hired in early 2005 at my company.

I went through a background check (one that I had to provide proof of employment with a company who had shut its doors in 2000), FBI background check, fingerprint check, credit check, educational verification, etc.

In 2009, I went through the background and credit check again by my employer. I knew people whose credit and background came back with enough dings that they were terminated because they no longer met appropriate risk levels for the bonding requirements.

In the past, I have had the same things happen as well as a drug test all the way back to 1998 when I first started having corporate jobs. The FBI and fingerprinting were done at financial companies not for other general types of companies.

These things are NOT new.

I should also add that for a particular airline where I worked part time-- I also had to go through another type of background check including an interview with a nurse to see if I were medically fit for the position.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:24 AM

My point is, what are these people suppose to do with themselves? Try the public sector? Yeah right... they have all the same requirements plus affirmative action quotas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search