Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 10:26 PM

391 posts, read 1,709,489 times

Advertisements

At the risk of sounding ungrateful I'm going to say it anyway, "I hate my job." Granted I should be glad I have one as it keeps a roof over my head but that is all. I hate what I do with a passion not to mention the stress and volume of work that comes with. The problem is I've worked in this industry for over 10 years and now I feel stuck because it's all I've done. Granted my job is mid-level professional and I have a little management experience; I'm paid well and if I liked the job I could continue to make even more. For those that are wondering I work in the insurance industry on the commerical side for a brokerage company. My salary is about $65K Annual. But I absolutely hate it and am willing to take a paycut but at the same time I don't want to jump from the fire to fire. I'm sooo unhappy. I don't know what transferrable skills I have or better yet I don't know how to sell them to make people believe the skills are transferrable. Searching the job boards are discurraging as I am either under or overqualified and their are lots of $25k jobs. I'm not willing to go that low but I'm so unhappy I'd take $40k if there was a future in the position. But the job boards seem to be full of junk and there are thousands listings. I'm not sure how to manage the search most effectively. It takes hours to go through them and many times like tonight I don't get home until around 8 and I've been crying in my car

Anyway, I wrote that novel simply to ask what is the best way to manage the job search and what are the most effective ways to search? I was part of so many boards I've eliminated some. I currently search Indeed.com, federal jobs and Simply Hired. My resume is posted on Career Builder but I don't search there as it seems like Indeed and Simply Hired pulls their information in.

Any advice anyone can give me when it seems like time isn't your friend? I just don't know what to do. Day after day I'm on the verge of walking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 05:20 AM

96 posts, read 312,252 times
Well, my first question is whether you know what kind of job you would like to do next. You don't want to jump into another position that you hate just as much just for the sake of leaving. You mentioned being in the industry for many years, which means you probably have a lot of contacts - do any of your contacts have jobs that you are interested in? If so, give them a call, ask to take them out for lunch or coffee, and explain that you are looking for career advice. Don't tell them that you are job searching or looking to leave; just tell them that you are interested in planning the next step of your career, have always thought that their job seemed very interesting, and ask how they got to where they are. Generally, people love to talk about themselves and if they don't think you are going to hit them up for a job, will most likely be happy to share career advice - which can also result in job leads.

Job boards are hit or miss - the ones I've had the most success with are industry-specific boards or city-specific boards.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:29 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalake View Post
Job boards are hit or miss - the ones I've had the most success with are industry-specific boards or city-specific boards.
Agreed, especially if there are industry-specific job boards for what you do. You may want to look into a headhunter as well. My experience with headhunters / recruiters is that some are great, many are average and a few are mediocre, but they may alos be able to help you locate a new position.

Or if you have colleagues who have gone on to other companies, it can never hurt to reach out to them as well.

And to the OP - you don't sound "ungrateful" at all - life is too short to be stuck doing a job you hate.

Good luck in the search.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Agreed, especially if there are industry-specific job boards for what you do. You may want to look into a headhunter as well. My experience with headhunters / recruiters is that some are great, many are average and a few are mediocre, but they may alos be able to help you locate a new position.

Or if you have colleagues who have gone on to other companies, it can never hurt to reach out to them as well.

And to the OP - you don't sound "ungrateful" at all - life is too short to be stuck doing a job you hate.

Good luck in the search.
Yes when looking for insurance jobs I had great experience with recruiters maybe I need to seek it out for what I want to do. Not sure I'd find many recruiters looking to hire for someone without experience but I'll will search up and down until I find one!

Thanks so much

Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalake View Post
Well, my first question is whether you know what kind of job you would like to do next. You don't want to jump into another position that you hate just as much just for the sake of leaving. You mentioned being in the industry for many years, which means you probably have a lot of contacts - do any of your contacts have jobs that you are interested in? If so, give them a call, ask to take them out for lunch or coffee, and explain that you are looking for career advice. Don't tell them that you are job searching or looking to leave; just tell them that you are interested in planning the next step of your career, have always thought that their job seemed very interesting, and ask how they got to where they are. Generally, people love to talk about themselves and if they don't think you are going to hit them up for a job, will most likely be happy to share career advice - which can also result in job leads.

I tend to keep leaning towards recruiting or employee training on systems in such. I have no experience in recruiting just seems like something I'd enjoy and seems to mesh with my personality. Training is something that always turns into a minor/extra but not paid portion of my job every place I work. I'm normally one of the go to persons to help others navigate and/or learn a required system. I enjoy doing this when I have the time. Normally I don't because the job I'm being paid for never quits.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:41 PM

9 posts, read 12,484 times
Sure, you would run into irrelevant search results while searching job boards. Here is a decent job board I used before called staffex jobs:

Find Jobs Online - StaffEx™ Employment Portal & Social Network

Staffex brings up search results from their own database as well as indeed, simplyhired, careerjet, etc so you don't have to search those individually going to each one of them. I landed my dream job using staffex.

Another option is to find a great head-hunter who could help you with your quest. But remember not all headhunters are great - most are lousy and lazy. I know 2 recruiters who I have rapport with for over 7 years but they could never help me find a suitable job so far. But another recruiter who I never met before helped me land a job in 2004 in 2 weeks time.

We all hit this brick wall sooner or later. When we do, we need to have built up a cushion to fall back on. If we don't have a backup or alternative, we end up with frustration.

Hope this helps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search