Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:16 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,837 times

Advertisements

I interviewed with a local university last week for an administrative position, and I feel it went well. They received more than 100 applications, but only a few (including me) made it to the interview stage. I was required to submit several writing exams later in the week, all of which I put lots of time and effort into.

I also sent each interviewer -- there were four in all -- a carefully crafted thank you letter that not only included a quote by a famous person that relates to education or the job itself, but also discussed an article that the interviewer either wrote or was featured in. (Yes, I ran a Google search on each person.) I attended the university for two years, and my advisor happened to sit on the screening committee for the position. I was sure to express how passionate I was about the university and its mission, and how I wanted to give something back after the institution gave so much to me.

Only one interviewer -- based on her title, I presume she's the chairperson of the committee -- replied to the e-mail containing the thank you letter, and she said the committee hoped to make a decision in roughly two weeks. This was Monday, June 13.

I'm doing my best to keep my sanity! I keep replaying the interview in my mind and wonder if the following does/does not not bode well:

- Lots of nodding on the part of the interviewers while and after I provided responses to their questions
- They told me during the interview that they'd be making a decision in a few weeks, which is fairly in line with the time line set in the e-mail. However, she also said something about narrowing the candidate pool down further and bringing in people for follow-up interviews. This leaves me scratching my head: Will they pick someone and then bring them in for a final interview, or will they just select a final candidate and inform them of their decision in said number of weeks?
- They responded quickly to all my e-mails
- I mentioned my g/f is also an alumnus of the university. One of the interviewers works for alumni relations and took down her name -- perhaps to use her as the subject of a college success story in the future
- The last question involved explaining why I wanted to work at the university, but one of the interviewers said I had already answered it throughout the interview by discussing how passionate I am about the mission, etc.
- They didn't ask when I could start, but I'm sure my enthusiasm conveyed I'd be willing to start immediately. (It's likely noted on my application as well.)

I hope that two week period is really not the time they've set aside to give the job to someone else, run a background check on him or her, and send me a rejection letter.

I realize that the rules in higher education are a lot different than those in the private sector. Based on what I've heard and read, it's slower, more political and lends itself more to cronyism. My only hope is that there are no internal candidates in the mix -- that would, I think, dim my prospects significantly.

You guys are probably thinking, "Relax. It's just a job. Just keep applying to other jobs." But breaking into and landing a job in higher ed is no easy task, and I really want to leave corporate America. I am also excited because I see myself retiring at this place.

What are your thoughts? Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 10:19 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
I think it sounds very optimistic for you. I would try to keep yourself occupied in the meantime. The decision is not going to come any sooner if you worry about it.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:32 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Take a deep breath and try to move on

At this point it is out of your hands. It sounds like you did the best you could do. If they call you, absolutely wonderful.

If they don't it may just mean they had another candidate who also did the best he could do.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:54 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
If they don't it may just mean they had another candidate who also did the best he could do.
Or a candidate who already works there. I'm praying this isn't the case.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:06 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Or a candidate who already works there. I'm praying this isn't the case.

So.. my advice here.. don't think about it. At all. Or try to not think about it.

Yes, they may have an internal candidate who is great. They may have found the bestest candidate in the world externally. They may feel YOU are the bestest in the world.

My point here-- is you accomplished (per your writings) what you were in control of directly. Now everything else is out of your hands. Do not allow yourself to stress so much about it.

I believe things happen as they are meant to once you play your role. In this case, it sounds like you did everything you could to show this position was of interest to you and that you wanted it.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:25 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
You have done what you can...it is totally out of your control. Just keep on going with your life.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:27 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Everyone's advice is correct, you did what you needed to do, now if it works it does if it don't it don't. I've not gotten plenty of dream jobs and that is the best advice I can give.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:34 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,046 times
I think you should keep trying to get more interviews with different institutions until the "fat lady sings". It could distract you from the "waiting game" and keep you "on your toes" at the same time.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:38 PM

36 posts, read 306,671 times
"I think you should keep trying to get more interviews with different institutions until the "fat lady sings". It could distract you from the "waiting game" and keep you "on your toes" at the same time."

So true....yet so hard to do when you really want a job your waiting on..... I too am waiting on an offer and is brutal

Old 06-17-2011, 06:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Or...you can do my fantasy! Storm over, Demand to see HR and the people who interviewed you, brandish your new Ginsu knife that you bought on the way over...hold it to your wrists, state that you will commit suicide right now, in the office, if they don't give you the job!

Or...you could stalk one of the people on the interview team, "casually" meet them in Starbucks, on the way to work, "happen" to run into another one for lunch, discuss the interview, and how they are doing at work, and what project they are currently working one, sit down, and start discussing how motivated you are to work with them, once you hear from HR on the results of the interview. Run into another one picking up her kid from daycare, just mention that you are thinking about this daycare for one of your kid's,...and walk out to the car with her, and talk about how motivated you are to start work at their company...

Anyone else have any other really "great" ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search