Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 07:39 AM

404 posts, read 1,147,997 times

Advertisements

One perspective job is asking for my references but I didn't leave on great terms with my last boss. When I left my boss said she would give me a good reference but I'm afraid she say something like "he's a good employee......BUT." I'm thinking about giving references of other coworkers/colleagues that I worked close with that I'm 100% sure will say good things about me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 AM

123 posts, read 245,659 times
I have used references from co-workers before and it turned out fine. As long as it is with people you have worked with, I think its fine.
But don't use pastor or friend references. That just makes it seem like not a single person at work has a good thing to say about you.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:21 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
I used to take care of an elderly gentleman part time when I was in nursing school. I have included his wife on my resume. Never had a problem, and sometimes they did call her.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:25 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
It usually stipulates in the job description or application (persons you have worked for). In that case it is pretty well spelled out. In addition, many employers now ask HR when they check your work history who your boss or supervisors are and call them directly. This has happened to myself more than once even though I did not list them as references of who I worked for. Be prepared for that and they may never tell you they did it. You can list non-profit programs you work with and their directors and people you work with that has a title.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:43 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Of course it is okay to use people other than supervisors. This is for character references, of course. If you are asked to provide your supervisor's name, then you should provide that, regardless of whether or not you left on good terms.

If you are required to provide the name of your last supervisor, AND are asked to provide character references, it would probably be best to provide your supervisor's name and that of a coworker who could counteract anything negative the supervisor might say.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:18 AM

306 posts, read 758,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwichester View Post
I have used references from co-workers before and it turned out fine. As long as it is with people you have worked with, I think its fine.
But don't use pastor or friend references. That just makes it seem like not a single person at work has a good thing to say about you.
You would think that if that's the criteria your family priest would be a better reference as to your character. People at work tend to be biased and have their own - sometimes hidden - agenda. And may stab you in the back. Priests aren't supposed to lie. Regular people in the world of work, usually do.

That's my justification for why I use my family priest and get pissed when that's not acceptable; because he's the only person on earth who won't lie and say I can't do the job when I can.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:23 AM

863 posts, read 2,993,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwichester View Post
I agree. When asked for work references, you need to provide names of those you worked with and for. Pure and simple.

A priest or ministor would be a great personal or character reference.

I recently called on several references for a candidate. Most were co-workers, one was a supervisor. We hired her. WORK references need to be WORK related.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:01 PM

251 posts, read 204,126 times
It goes without saying only use people who you are confident will boost you up and make you look sensational.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:17 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Yes, feel free to use coworkers and colleagues. I have also used vendors, customers and contractors.

I would never, ever call a priest/pastor for a reference if a candidate provided one. They are a couple of steps below used care salesmen in my opinion. I would give the candidate a pass on the lapse in judgment for including such a person on the reference list and contact the others provided.

For a higher level position, I always dig up a few non-provided references as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search