Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't think I've ever interviewed for a job where I did not out-dress the interviewer. The interviewer already has a job.

Exactly. Unless it is specified in the invite to interview on what to wear, you should dress better than the employees.

When you get the job you can come in and dress like everyone else.

It is kind of like being a guest in someone's home.

You don't act like you live there and help yourself to food in the refrigerator, until they tell you to help yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
As a hiring manager, it's a real eye opener to read these responses. When we advertise a position, the candidate is specifically told at the time the interview is scheduled, what the dress requirements for the interview are. We have them for a reason. Part of the reason is to see if the interviewee follows direction or if they decide to ignore it or do things their way. There are methods and critical operations that need to be followed by employees and if they can't follow directions that are given to them for an interview, then how will they perform on the job? Will they come in with the attitude "Well, they said to do it this way, but I know better and will do it my way"? No thanks. We wouldn't take a chance on that.

I think anyone who is looking for work and lands an interview should call the company if you have questions about the expected code of dress at the interview. That is a sure way to get the correct answer. As you can see from the replies here, they vary quite a bit and can cause an already nervous candidate even more anxiety.

^^^ This. As an interviewer, if I made it clear to an applicant what was expected of them during this interview, and they chose to do their own thing, they'd be doing their own thing right out the door.

I am very clear on what time they are be on site. If they can't make it on time for a job interview, I can't trust they will make it on time for work.

Of course, accidents and or flat tires are an exception to the rule. But telling me you got stuck in traffic? Really? You didn't think there'd be traffic at 8 am? Or that you got lost? You didn't figure out where we were before you got in your car? wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search