Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 02:19 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,196 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been temping for under a month at what was supposed to be an 8 week assignment, but my current temp recruiter told me they are interested in me and asked for salary requirements and resume from her.

I'm a little nervous. When they do this, does HR usually put you through the whole ringer of background checks, references, etc. or do they just generally know that since you've temped there you have kind of passed that?

I understand criminal background and whatever, but my references are botched as SO many people I know have left my previous companies, been fired, etc.

I'm asking for 50k/year range, live in NYC and will be working in the creative industry as an exec. admin asst., so I hope they don't mull over that. Just wanted to know what the process was like for those who have been down this road before--where a temp job turned into an unexpected job offer.

So nervous because nothing is official and I'm afraid something is going to "disqualify" me...salary..etc. I'm not a mindreader, so I'm not sure. Just so nervous and wasn't expecting this. Economy has been terrible and I love this temp assignment and I'm thrilled to hear they want me perm, but nothing is in stone so I can't help but to be stressed and nervous about the unexpected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 02:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
On your temp contract does it say anything about the agency charging the employer a fee to release you? Some agencies charge a flat rate of say 5 to 10% of the annual salary to the company to hire you full time.

What is your hourly rate of pay with the agency right now?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
On your temp contract does it say anything about the agency charging the employer a fee to release you? Some agencies charge a flat rate of say 5 to 10% of the annual salary to the company to hire you full time.

What is your hourly rate of pay with the agency right now?
I make $20/hr right now, but I want 50k. I didn't see any contract and I'm hoping/assuming that the agency will do all the behind the scenes stuff and negotiating.

They just brought in about 10 temps this month alone, so I have a feeling they were planning on hiring most of us, but wanted to start us all off as temps, as they are a company that just came out of bankruptcy and they are now growing and expanding.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Well the hourly rate is good, that comes out to a little under 40K a year so 50K is not out of reach.

Do you fax over a time sheet to the agency? There should be something on there about their policies.

Or you must have signed some agreement when you started with them.

Temp agencies vary, some will release you after say 3 months on the same assignment to the employer.

Others want a percentage of the annual salary, and some may just release you.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
I have gotten jobs twice through temp agencies. Both times they offered me slightly less than what I was temping for. I took it both times because 1st one. I liked the company and 2nd one... I was desperate for employment

Old 06-28-2011, 10:15 PM

Technically, wages are figured by 40 hours in a week and 52 hours in a month...salary at least, from what I know.

Man, I didn't think they would offer you less. I would assume they at least offer you the same.

Did they personally ask you what your salary requirements were or did your agency negotiate it for you? I'm afraid that, even though I would LOVE to work for my boss perm, at 50k, they just may say...oh we can get someone for cheaper, this costs too much.

I would at least hope that even if they can only pay like 40-45k/year they would at least run that past me rather than remain silent and never offer me the job. Truthfully, I would settle for 45k/year JUST because my boss is literally THAT cool and there are health benefits, etc. But truthfully, 45k is LOW balling..like I said, I would accept it ONLY because my boss is literally like the BEST boss I have ever had. Coolest guy EVER and the job is NOT stressful really.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:20 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
Quote:
I understand criminal background and whatever, but my references are botched as SO many people I know have left my previous companies, been fired, etc.
When you provide your resume, the employer will contact your past employers and speak to HR. It does not matter that your supervisor or coworkers no longer work there, or for what reason. HR is merely responding with information that is in your file. The person in HR providing the information doesn't even have to be someone who worked there when you did.

When you provide your character references, you should be providing their name and current contact information, wherever that may be. They are providing information about your work when they worked with you, wherever that was. They do not have to still work for the same company in order to provide that information. The reasons for their departure from their past jobs are irrelevant to your suitability for the job. The subject of their career won't even come up in the conversation.

....in other words, none of this means your references are botched or that you won't pass a background check.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:00 AM

I just hope it's not a long and drawn out process, since I've already been working here for a while and I would practically consider that an interview in itself. I'm not sure how this proecss works and hoping for the best.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:27 AM

145 posts, read 420,592 times
Thats how I got the job I currently have. I hate the job and the co workers but it pays the bills, 40 guaranteed hours and benefits. Majority of the places hiring now are just part time and a dog fight to even get that.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:13 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,860 times
I did something similar once... I was "contract"... not temp, I think it was an annual contract, but still the same sort of thing. They brought me on full-time for about $10k more. I did have to go through some HR stuff though, but it was a really large company so yours might be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search