Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:41 AM

255 posts, read 535,623 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of applying for an Emergency Dispatcher (911) position.
They require a skills assessment test, which seems most reasonable for a job involving public safety. But a study guide that costs $18.50 is also required.
This may be legitimate, but it raises some doubts about the whole process.
The hiring is being done through an agency, Sutter Community Healthcare, which supposedly has no connection to the study guide company.

Has anyone encountered something like this? Has anyone applied for or gotten work through Sutter Community Healthcare?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrumpster View Post
I am in the process of applying for an Emergency Dispatcher (911) position.
They require a skills assessment test, which seems most reasonable for a job involving public safety. But a study guide that costs $18.50 is also required.
This may be legitimate, but it raises some doubts about the whole process.
The hiring is being done through an agency, Sutter Community Healthcare, which supposedly has no connection to the study guide company.

Has anyone encountered something like this? Has anyone applied for or gotten work through Sutter Community Healthcare?

Thanks.
Smells bad.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:01 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
I thought that 911 dispatchers were employed through the City or County government? Why would a healthcare agency staff for it? I thought healthcare agencies provided staffing for hospitals for nursing positions and other similar positions.

Where are you in the selection process? Have you interviewed? That's odd.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 AM

123 posts, read 245,560 times
Checked out their website. So they are basically a temp agency/staffing firm for the medical field. Even their website is not that great.

But if you really want that job, then $18.50 seems like a worthwhile investment if that study guide is even 10% useful in the skills test that you will have to take.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I thought that 911 dispatchers were employed through the City or County government? Why would a healthcare agency staff for it? I thought healthcare agencies provided staffing for hospitals for nursing positions and other similar positions.

Where are you in the selection process? Have you interviewed? That's odd.

I filled out an on-line application after sending in my resume. I have exchanged e-mails with a manager. I asked yesterday if there were more fees coming, but received no response.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwichester View Post
Checked out their website. So they are basically a temp agency/staffing firm for the medical field. Even their website is not that great.

But if you really want that job, then $18.50 seems like a worthwhile investment if that study guide is even 10% useful in the skills test that you will have to take.

Thanks. I was not impressed by their website, either. The job has good pay and great benefits. It would be worth it if this is the last fee. If I had to take the test in the City where I would be working, I'd be spending at least $10.00 on gas and tolls. There is just something a bit shady about the whole deal.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,270 times
I took the pre-assessment test today. It's pretty easy. You prob don't even have to spend 18.50 on the study guide. I thought it was kind of fishy as well. I ve speaking with the employment hiring manager thru email. But take the test

Old 07-06-2011, 09:52 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,386 times
I give you a lot of credit for even attempting that job. I know I would be horrible at that type of job because I'm not very good in emergency situations. I could only imagine someone calling freaked out and telling me one of their family members were shot or stabbed. I would probably be like "OH MY GOD!!! THAT'S HORRIBLE!" It would onot be good! So I give credit for anyone who can handle that kind of pressure.

I feel like there is A LOT you have to know in order to be successful in that job, so I would just tell you to buy the study guide. However, if you have doubts about the company, try to do more research regarding their hiring practices.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliman View Post
I took the pre-assessment test today. It's pretty easy. You prob don't even have to spend 18.50 on the study guide. I thought it was kind of fishy as well. I ve speaking with the employment hiring manager thru email. But take the test

I did buy the study guide and I did take the test. You were right... the study guide was irrelevant to the test.And I agree that the test was pretty easy.

Next move is theirs.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrumpster View Post
I did buy the study guide and I did take the test. You were right... the study guide was irrelevant to the test.And I agree that the test was pretty easy.

Next move is theirs.
Hello, this is probably a long shot, but would you be willing to share that study guide? I see you aren`t in my zip code, so we wouldn`t be competing for the same position ;-). I am in No. California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search