Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:48 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,837 times

Advertisements

I posted a thread related to this a few days ago but wanted to get a few more City Data posters to chime in. Here's what I noted in the other thread:

During a recent interview, one of the interviewers threw in what one might view as "career advice," and I found this a bit iffy. She said things are tough out there and that she knows it isn't easy to transition from one job/company to another when one is already gainfully employed. She said that I would have some thinking to do over the next few weeks. (The hiring manager is going on vacation for two weeks and she said a decision won't be made until early August.) Granted, both interviewers have worked there for 15-30 years, so their comments may very well be in earnest considering they haven't switched jobs in quite a while. But why mention this during an interview? Didn't they think bringing this up might give the candidate the wrong idea?

My hope is that she was merely thinking aloud. I don't want to read too much into it, but the pessimistic side of me says:
- She has an internal candidate, and/or
- She threw that in there as a subtle form of rejection
- She told me she's going on a 2-week vacation. That must mean she already has someone in mind and is going through the motions.

Then again, I can look on the bright side and surmise that her telling me "I have thinking to do" means she is strongly considering giving me the job. I can also tell myself that she may very well be out of tune with the job hunting process and views switching jobs as a risky proposition for any candidate in general; after all, she's remained in the same place for over 15 years.

I've gone through a lot of interviews and I find it is unusual for the interviewer to say something along the lines of "you should think twice before you leave your current job" if he/she is truly interested in the candidate. Again, maybe I'm reading into this way too much.

What's your take on this? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 08:20 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,093 times
Is this that Uni job you were waiting to hear from?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:28 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,837 times
No, this is a different position. This one is in the private sector. Still waiting on a response from the uni as well. The waiting game is brutal.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
After job interviews, one will go over and over their answers in their mind and go nuts thinking about what they said and what you could have said but didn't. That's bad enough, without worrying about what the interviewer said and whether it means you will get the job or not. The fact is, nothing you can do or think now makes any difference. As hard as it may be, forget about it for now, move on as if you did not get it, and continue looking for other jobs to apply to. Then if you do get an offer you will be pleasantly surprised, without the weeks of grief thinking about it.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:38 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
No, this is a different position. This one is in the private sector. Still waiting on a response from the uni as well. The waiting game is brutal.
Yes, it is brutal, but from what I can tell, you're making it even more brutal by rehashing the interview and trying to read tea leaves. It's understandable that you're doing this, since you really seem to want this job, but it's really bad for your mental health and it's really not productive.

Think about it- if you were able to read the tea leaves and have a way of knowing that you are 100% right, what would you do with that information? The process is still out of your hands regardless. Also, it's impossible to judge how an interview went because you're emotionally attached to it, and you don't know exactly how this company evaluates interviews.

Do yourself a favor- try the best you can to move on and look for other positions (of course, holding out hope that you really did get this job). Good luck

Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
After job interviews, one will go over and over their answers in their mind and go nuts thinking about what they said and what you could have said but didn't. That's bad enough, without worrying about what the interviewer said and whether it means you will get the job or not. The fact is, nothing you can do or think now makes any difference. As hard as it may be, forget about it for now, move on as if you did not get it, and continue looking for other jobs to apply to. Then if you do get an offer you will be pleasantly surprised, without the weeks of grief thinking about it.
This is good advice. A friend of mine recently interviewed for a job she'd been referred to by a neighbor who works for the same company. She was seen by three people. They'd told her they'd be making a decision in about two weeks. When she was leaving, one of them said, "Good luck in your job search!"

She figured that she was automatically out of the running, given that remark, and asked her neighbor to find out because she'd rather just KNOW than keep her hopes up. The neighbor said they haven't made a decision yet, but she decided to do as you suggest and put it in the back of her mind while she continues to search.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:50 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,093 times
LOL I got burned once earlier this year when I thought I had a position on lock and it ended up going to an internal candidate that I didn't even know was in the running. I had amazing interviews, no negative feedback, was asked when I could start, was told about career pathing, that I was an excellent fit, etc.... and then received a call back saying my interview score matched their internal candidate exactly. What a disappointment LOL But I ended up finding something even better about a month later

So basically... it's not worth the time or effort to worry about it LOL

Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 AM

580 posts, read 2,293,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post

This is exactly right. One thing I have learned is the people in human resources are experts in misleading you. Don't assume anything. I've had interviews where I was told I would definitely be hearing back from them and when I didn't, they wouldn't even return my phone call. Maybe it is the wrong attitude, but I'm at the point where it is my policy to expect the worst just so I will never be disappointed. And whatever you do, do not quit looking for work until you actually land, and start a job. I know that may sound silly, but I've actually had job offers only to have them withdrawn at the last minute.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:19 AM

460 posts, read 1,140,234 times
Right now I figure wherever I end up is where I'm meant to be. That makes job hunting and interviewing a lot easier for me to deal with.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:26 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
You are posting questions that are difficult to answer. No one reading your posts was in the room and saw your presentation and disposition during the interview.

You are reading way too much into it. In the other post, the pros you listed were mostly standard procedure, not pros: the over an hour interview, that they said your writing samples were 'good' for a writing job, they gave you a test...

If there is no immediate urgency in getting someone in there, it's not strange at all for a person to be taking a (probably long ago planned) vacation.

It's odd to me that an interviewer would suggest you don't leave your current job. I don't get into general chatter about the current job market with candidates. There are many possible reasons why they said that but speculating is only going to make you read even more into it and drive yourself crazy. Just keep sending resumes, trying to get interviews and if they pan out, great. Don't wallow in something that may not be there and don't dissect everything that's said/done and trying to figure out what was behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search