Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:20 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,631,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
That's the way to do it! After my last layoff, I realized my options in Michigan were slim... So I took a train ride out to Chicago and had multiple offers. Couldn't be happier, although I wish the same opportunities were available where I moved from...
I remember when I was a recruiter back in the 90s a guy did this.

He didn't tell the company he was interviewing for that he did not have the money for airfare (they made it clear that they would not reimburse unless you got hired), but he REALLY wanted the opportunity and to move to the area.

The candidate never even said anything to me just said it would NOT be a big deal.

He drove from Ft Hood, TX to Greensboro, NC straight. Got a hotel to shower and went to the interview. They found out because he did look rather tired and they hired him immediately (they already really liked him on the phone).

The guy moved himself (they didn't offer relo) and was staying with friends in Ft. Bragg, NC while he could find a better long term arrangement in Greensboro, NC. He commuted that distance EVERY DAY (4 hours round trip). He was that way in his work too-- last I heard before I moved on to a different company/career he had been promoted to management. They had been super elated with him. I will say that the guy used to call me ALL the time asking if I had something for him-- I admired his tenacity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 09:02 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,138,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp67 View Post
I interviewed over the phone today for an AmeriCorps VISTA position in a town I used to live in that's 2.5 hours away from where I'm currently living. I think the interview went well. They will be making a decision on who to hire tomorrow, and they have already interviewed other candidates. The guy who interviewed me asked if it was possible for me to visit the facility for a tour & to meet staff before they make a decision. It would be very difficult (but not impossible) for me to travel up there, so I asked if not being able to make it would be a dealbreaker. He said no.

They won't be able to reimburse me for travel. The position is a great opportunity, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if I didn't get it. I know the town in which it's located very well as I went to college there and lived there for a while afterwards.

Is it worth making the trip?

If you itemize your taxes all your expenses in finding a new job, including printing resumes, even travel and lodging are a deductable expense on the business deduction form with the total transfered to you Itemization sheet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search