Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:39 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times

Advertisements

You say you have an appt and give no other information.

One thing I used to do to not tip people off that I was interviewing is after coming back from my interview and wearing a suit, I'd leave my jacket in the car, so it didn't appear that I had on a suit. That to me is a good giveaway.

And usually you are asked by the interviewer if it is ok to contact your current employer. Just say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
You also have to be smart about things. If you all of a sudden start looking for an empty room to talk on your cell phone a lot, start wearing a suit, coming up with oddball excuses people will certainly catch on much quicker.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:27 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Let's say for the entire time you've been at your employer, you've rarely taken time off during random time throughout the year. (You've used some vacation days to visit family, say, around Christmas but rarely/never during other times.)

Then you've decided to look for work elsewhere.

Now the other potential employers call you to come in for interviews.. they're more than a few hours each so you need to take time off from work.

Even if I'm using my vacation days to take this time off and even if I have some excuses, will my employer eventually catch the drift? (Considering if someone who almost never takes time off starts using his/her allotted vacation days during random time throughout the year)..

That's always been my concern because it would start to look obvious after 2 or 3 interviews. that's why I honestly believe that the only way to get a job while you are employed is from a connection and you wouldn't need to miss time from work.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That's always been my concern because it would start to look obvious after 2 or 3 interviews. that's why I honestly believe that the only way to get a job while you are employed is from a connection and you wouldn't need to miss time from work.
I would guess 90% of people who get new jobs have to miss time at work if they are currently employed. Clearly the "only" way to get a job has nothing to do with not missing work.

Even if you have a connection you almost certainly still have to go for an interview.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I would guess 90% of people who get new jobs have to miss time at work if they are currently employed. Clearly the "only" way to get a job has nothing to do with not missing work.

Even if you have a connection you almost certainly still have to go for an interview.
Maybe over the phone if the connect is strong enough.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:41 AM
FBJ

If someone has a career job then most of the time they will get another job without missing time from work because of connections.

All those media people who get other jobs with other network are not going on job interviews it's their business network that is opening up other opportunites

Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If someone has a career job then most of the time they will get another job without missing time from work because of connections.

All those media people who get other jobs with other network are not going on job interviews it's their business network that is opening up other opportunites
And once again I get sucked in. The fact that I respond to your posts clearly indicates a flaw on my part. Carry on.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And once again I get sucked in. The fact that I respond to your posts clearly indicates a flaw on my part. Carry on.
So if my boss wants a new job who is the director of our program, do you really think she needs to go on INTERVIEWS to get another position????_LOL

Old 07-26-2011, 02:15 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Haha, you think your employer has any loyalty to you??? I've done it, and if they found out I couldn't care less. We all have the right to seek the best reward for our labor. Any boss that doesn't understand that has another thing coming if I'm going to work for them. You want a good worker, than don't give me a reason to look elsewhere.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:31 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
You say you have an appt and give no other information.

One thing I used to do to not tip people off that I was interviewing is after coming back from my interview and wearing a suit, I'd leave my jacket in the car, so it didn't appear that I had on a suit. That to me is a good giveaway.

And usually you are asked by the interviewer if it is ok to contact your current employer. Just say no.
Problem is, they will still casually ask "why".. and once you've used a vacation day during a random time in the week and have already used the same old recycled excuses like doctor's visits, it should be pretty obvious something's going on.

(Like I mentioned, I rarely used my vacation days in the past until I started getting interviews, having started a job search a few months ago.. search my other threads if you wanna know why; I'm not in the mood to repeat for the Nth time..)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search